IGNORED

Luke Shaw

Super

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Signed a 5 year deal at United rumoured to be on 190k a week. Football has gone mad.

Notwithstanding any comment on whether he is worth 190k/week, fair play to Shaw for turning around a situation that seemingly had him out of favour with the manager, out of shape, out of form and out of the team. Either that, or United know they overpaid for him and can't shift him.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Notwithstanding any comment on whether he is worth 190k/week, fair play to Shaw for turning around a situation that seemingly had him out of favour with the manager, out of shape, out of form and out of the team. Either that, or United know they overpaid for him and can't shift him.

Not sure having a good couple of months and losing a bit of weight should mean such a crazy contract. I know he had a bad injury but he has played 50 games in 4 years for United.

Listened to Talksport today, discussing the shambles that is the FA trying to sell Wembley.

My understanding was that the FAS were going to use the proceeds of the sale to invest in grass roots football, but it was the people that would have benefitted ( the FA "suits") that blocked the sale. In the discussion Simon Jordan ( who was not holding back in his view of the people at the top of the FA) said that the FA and premier league had agreement that 5% of the premier leagues TV deals would go to grass roots football. That amounts to over £800m for the last 18 years, but the FA have not collected any of the money because the premier league control the FA!

He went on to say the reason for this is that greed and avarice are the premier league's guiding principles i.e. the premier league is only concerned with looking after itself and it's own. 

Shaw's deals is only the latest indication of the absurd degrees to which financial greed has become the norm and is in danger of ruining the game - if it has not already done so. Would any of us turn down such a deal were we in Shaw's position? Obviously no, but at what point are football's owners/chairmen/chief execs going to say no to players and agents so that money can be invested i the game rather then going straight into players and agents bank accounts?

5% of Shaw's wages equates to £8,500 per week and that would pay for a lot of facilities at grass roots level. Shaw earning £182,500 instead of £190,000 won't make much of a difference to his lifestyle and his new 5 year contract will ensure he never has to work again once he retires, but the £8,500 would make a massive difference to supporting grass roots football and ensure that we continue to produce footballers capable of playing at the top level.

24 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure having a good couple of months and losing a bit of weight should mean such a crazy contract. I know he had a bad injury but he has played 50 games in 4 years for United.

Using those criteria I should be worth about £5,000 a week!

The problem is he would have gone for free in the summer and MU had paid an absolute fortune for him to join them (and sit on the bench, be JM's scape goat etc etc). I suspect they are protecting their investment, even if they sell him, they will recoup a big part of what they paid and they have effectively spread any signing on fee that he would have received over a number of years of his contract.

I suspect our Callum O’Dowda is smiling at the prospect of a similar Championship level deal!!!

3 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The problem is he would have gone for free in the summer and MU had paid an absolute fortune for him to join them (and sit on the bench, be JM's scape goat etc etc). I suspect they are protecting their investment, even if they sell him, they will recoup a big part of what they paid and they have effectively spread any signing on fee that he would have received over a number of years of his contract.

I suspect our Callum O’Dowda is smiling at the prospect of a similar Championship level deal!!!

Also Lloyd Kelly if that's the going rate for decent left backs!

31 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Got a sneaky feeling COD will end up in premier league. Be low wages, low signing on fee and not many free transfers tend to have potential left. Burnley makes a lot of sense. Teams going up that want to keep a tight budget may look at him. Failing that can see relegated or recently relegated sides having a look. Think he will end up at a bigger clun than us.

And yes I am presuming he does not sign a new deal. How does compensation work? Do we qualify considering we bought him? I know we have to offer a deal but not sure if he is too old and the other things. 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Listened to Talksport today, discussing the shambles that is the FA trying to sell Wembley.

My understanding was that the FAS were going to use the proceeds of the sale to invest in grass roots football, but it was the people that would have benefitted ( the FA "suits") that blocked the sale. In the discussion Simon Jordan ( who was not holding back in his view of the people at the top of the FA) said that the FA and premier league had agreement that 5% of the premier leagues TV deals would go to grass roots football. That amounts to over £800m for the last 18 years, but the FA have not collected any of the money because the premier league control the FA!

He went on to say the reason for this is that greed and avarice are the premier league's guiding principles i.e. the premier league is only concerned with looking after itself and it's own. 

Shaw's deals is only the latest indication of the absurd degrees to which financial greed has become the norm and is in danger of ruining the game - if it has not already done so. Would any of us turn down such a deal were we in Shaw's position? Obviously no, but at what point are football's owners/chairmen/chief execs going to say no to players and agents so that money can be invested i the game rather then going straight into players and agents bank accounts?

5% of Shaw's wages equates to £8,500 per week and that would pay for a lot of facilities at grass roots level. Shaw earning £182,500 181,500 instead of £190,000 won't make much of a difference to his lifestyle and his new 5 year contract will ensure he never has to work again once he retires, but the £8,500 would make a massive difference to supporting grass roots football and ensure that we continue to produce footballers capable of playing at the top level. 

Using those criteria I should be worth about £5,000 a week!

Mental arithmetic failure earlier, so corrected before the forum pedants  latch on. 

Also, give my weight loss over the last 2 weeks, can I re-negotiate my new contract at £15,000 per week please?

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Got a sneaky feeling COD will end up in premier league. Be low wages, low signing on fee and not many free transfers tend to have potential left. Burnley makes a lot of sense. Teams going up that want to keep a tight budget may look at him. Failing that can see relegated or recently relegated sides having a look. Think he will end up at a bigger clun than us.

And yes I am presuming he does not sign a new deal. How does compensation work? Do we qualify considering we bought him? I know we have to offer a deal but not sure if he is too old and the other things. 

Joe, have you started the weekend early? There in no way on this planet that COD will be at a PL club, or relegated  PL club next season, absolutely none.

I know that he is a ROI international however their stock of players is particularly low just now. COD MAY end up in the PL one day but he has an enormous way to go before that happens.

He struggles to get a start in a lower middle tier Championship side!

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

How much are top full backs now? 50m plus 150k a week, potentially just saved 50m as i think he’s decent 

Sandro is holding out for £87k from Juve, so if anything United are paying around £100k more a week than they should be for Shaw

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Joe, have you started the weekend early? There in no way on this planet that COD will be at a PL club, or relegated  PL club next season, absolutely none.

I know that he is a ROI international however their stock of players is particularly low just now. COD MAY end up in the PL one day but he has an enormous way to go before that happens.

He struggles to get a start in a lower middle tier Championship side!

We will see. He is a low risk high reward signing for any club. Got a feeling he is rated higher outside Bristol City and I also have a feeling others are right and we are wasting him a bit. 

18 hours ago, Super said:

Agree that it’s madness but fair play to shaw. 

22 hours ago, marcofisher said:

150k According to the BBC, which is probably about standard for a player at City United Chelsea nowadays. 

Not quite

Surprising disparity

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/manchester-united-player-salaries/

Manchester United LogoManchester United Player Wages & Contracts 2018PLAYERAGEWEEKLY WAGECONTRACT LEFTDavid de Gea26£200,000Last Year (2019)Sergio Romero30£50,0003 Years (2021)Lee Grant35£20,0002 Years (2020)Joel Pereira213 Years (2021)Marcos Rojo (New Deal)28£80,0003 Years (2021)Phil Jones26£50,000Last Year (2019)Chris Smalling28£80,000Last Year (2019)Eric Bailly 24£75,0002 Years (2020)Victor Lindelof24£75,0003 Years (2021)Antonio Valencia32£100,000Last Year (2019)Luke Shaw23£70,000Last year (2019)Ashley Young33£110,000Last year (2019)Axel Tuanzebe202 Years (2020)Matteo Darmian 28£60,000Last Year (2019)Diogo Dalot (New Signing)19£50,0005 Years (2023)Fred (New Signing)25£120,0005 Years (2023)Namanja Matic30£120,0003 Years (2020)Ander Herrera28£75,000Last year (2019)Marouane Fellaini (New Deal)30£100,0002 Years (2020)Juan Mata30£140,000Last year (2019)Tim Fosu-Mensah202 Years (2020Jesse Lingard25£50,0003 Years (2021)Paul Pogba25£290,0003 Years (2021)Scott McTominay21£25,0003 Years (2021)Anthony Martial22£75,000Last Year (2019)Alexis Sanchez29£350,0004 Years (2022)Romelu Lukaku25£200,0004 Years (2022)Macus Rashford20£45,0002 Years (2020)

Archived