IGNORED

Nuneaton Borough - going soon?

22A

Reported on the Midlands news this evening that Nuneaton Borough have been unable to pay their players. If they are not paid by the end of the month, the players are all able to walk away as free transfers.

One local pensioner went to the bank and drew out £500 of his savings and took it to the club to help them out. The club have refused though and asked fans NOT to contribute anything until "the future is more secure".

6 minutes ago, marmite said:

Perhaps Luke Shaw could help them out. Just shows that the games gone mad.

Not his problem.

Who knows what he does with his money, he might give 99.9% of it to charity, he might spend it on crisps and sweets.

If the owners of the club have failed to run the club responsibly then the buck stops with them. 

Guess we will just have to wait and see happens.

12 minutes ago, marmite said:

Perhaps Luke Shaw could help them out. Just shows that the games gone mad.

I commented on there Luke Shaw thread about a discussion on Talksport today.

Talking about the Wembley debacle, Simon Jordan mentioned that the FA had/have agreement with the premier league that 5% of the TV deals will be allocated to "grass roots" football - that totals more than £800m ( more than would be raised from selling Wembley) yet the FA has received none of that money because they haven't asked for it!

He went on to say that the reason for this is that the premier league control the FA - not the other way around. If the FA had this one then they could step in to help clubs in Nuneaton's situation, although in these circumstances the tricky bit is not bailing out clubs that have been grossly mismanaged). Unfortunately it's greed at the top level that means money doesn't go t the bottom levels of the pyramid and youth football in particular,. While players, like Shaw, continue to be given eye watering contracts there is little chance that even a small percentage of the mega bucks going into football ( sadly to the already wealthiest clubs in the land) will find it's way to those that really need it.

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Watched Chippenham play Nuneaton up at their place in a play off final a few years ago. It was a brilliant day out. Hope they can sort it out, these small clubs mean an awful lot to their local communities.

Don't often see chip 'n ham and non eaten in the same sentence. :yawn:

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not his problem.

Who knows what he does with his money, he might give 99.9% of it to charity, he might spend it on crisps and sweets.

If the owners of the club have failed to run the club responsibly then the buck stops with them. 

Guess we will just have to wait and see happens.

I know it's not his problem. I was just pointing the gulf that had been allowed to develop in football when one players wages could save an entire club.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Reported on the Midlands news this evening that Nuneaton Borough have been unable to pay their players. If they are not paid by the end of the month, the players are all able to walk away as free transfers.

A sad story, but Tommy might be able to help ?.

1. Flint played for Alfreton.

2. I changed train in Tamworth once if that counts.

3. Flint was on loan to Matlock - a very beautiful place: I've been there twice.

16 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A sad story, but Tommy might be able to help ?.

1. Flint played for Alfreton.

2. I changed train in Tamworth once if that counts.

3. Flint was on loan to Matlock - a very beautiful place: I've been there twice.

I can confirm 1. & 3. Flint did indeed play for Alfreton and Matlock is a lovely place.

2. though, I only have Tommy`s word for it and he was probably so drunk it could well have been Taunton or Tadcaster or he might not have changed trains at all and imagined the whole thing.

Archived