IGNORED

Tony Fitzpatrick has an autobiography....

Norn Iron

I liked Tony Fitzpatrick - thought he was a fine player. A lot of people probably don’t know that his little lad became ill when he was with us and passed away at the age of six. He also lost his brother at the age of 32 and his mum died young. The pressures of all that led to his marriage breaking up too....fans never truly know what is going on in a person’s life - it must be hard to have a job in the public spotlight and be roundly criticised for your performances when you are going through very difficult times off the pitch...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I liked Tony Fitzpatrick - thought he was a fine player. A lot of people probably don’t know that his little lad became ill when he was with us and passed away at the age of six. He also lost his brother at the age of 32 and his mum died young. The pressures of all that led to his marriage breaking up too....fans never truly know what is going on in a person’s life - it must be hard to have a job in the public spotlight and be roundly criticised for your performances when you are going through very difficult times off the pitch...

Sad to hear this.

Tony has had a lot to contend with,

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It doesn't matter whether you're in the public spotlight or not , when you're in a shit storm you're going to suffer.

You either sink or swim .

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Poor, poor bloke. Never knew this, thanks for posting BS4. Is this in the book or something you already knew?

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Poor, poor bloke. Never knew this, thanks for posting BS4. Is this in the book or something you already knew?

One of my mates used to play for Hibs, Dunfermline and Raith and he was also an assistant manager and scout at several other clubs up there. He’s also good mates with people like Gordon Strachan and Alex Ferguson. So he’s very well connected in Scottish Football. He still lives up there and he told me all about this when he knew about Tony’s links with our club. It’s public knowledge though, Tony has mentioned it all in many newspaper interviews etc so I’m not breaking any confidences....

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Last time I was in Glasgow my cabbie from the airport started talking football and when I said I was City he responded:"One of the drivers used to play for you," and promptly called up TF.

I fckiung love Glasgow. Went there for the Partick Thistle friendly (that got called off after we’d booked flights and accommodation about 12yrs ago) and the cabbie had a stash of cards for lap dancing clubs that he happily handed out to us. We took the offer up and as we walked in there was a lady performing on stage to Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack! Great weekend (albeit slightly off topic, obvs) 

14 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My memories of Tony seem better than most.  He was one of those players who always seemed to have time on the ball, used to put himself into good positions and was a decent passer.  The only negative I can think of is that he could have been a bit harder.

Indeed.

By coincidence, I posted recently on another thread how I watched him play outstandingly for Saint Mirren in our Anglo-Scottish Cup Final and how, to my delight, we signed him shortly thererafter: unfortunately, he failed to replicate his previous form - apparently, largely for the unfortunate reasons discussed on this thread.

Archived