IGNORED

Sixth Forms etc.

Bobby200

I’m currently in year 11 and trying to decide on where to go once I leave school. I live in horfield ( Please don’t remind me) and without trying to be big headed im predicted to get 8s and 9s in all my exams ( basically A* and A** to those who don’t know the new system). I want to do A-Levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and is there’s a chance maybe even psychology. I don’t mind travelling up to about an hour but I can only take the bus as my family doesn’t have a car. I’m not sure where to go, and am visiting a lot currently.. I’ve been to colstons and seems very good although they are really posh and I know I wouldn’t be comfortable with a lot of the things there. Although it’s private they offer scholarships and my teachers have said Id likely get one should I try. Should I go Colston’s or  or does anybody know of any other good places I can go?

Your grades are predicted to be very high. Go get them!

Do you have any thoughts yet what path you might want to go down? You are very much lining up the chemical/biology route, and closing down engineering, that kind of route. If that is 'you' then fine. Otherwise, Physics instead of Psychology keeps more options open. If you hate one, you can drop it or take it only as an AS, as three is fine.

My own experience of Post 16 studies is that, within reason, 90% of it is down to your own efforts reading around and private study. 

If you are thinking medicine, then...it's tough. Think about getting some relevant work experience in a Year 12, it is vital to any personal statement on UCAS down the road. Equally, have the end game in sight...think about how you can undertake some enrichment to strengthen what you can offer.

You sound like you have been doing this, but go to school sixth form open days. Can you see yourself there? Look at their Dfee results which are all online for Post 16. Academic results...I would say 'value added' from students starting point is a better indication than raw attainment.

This is the one for Colstons, which as you will see they do well under value added...click in A Levels.

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/109336/colston's-school?tab=ks5-16-to-18

Apprenceships for sure are growing, but in complete honesty, with your grades, better maybe to look for 'degree apprenticeships' when you are 18, if that is sounding interesting to you. As others have said, also speak to your careers advisor.

And good luck.

Can't comment on your local area obviously but Maths, Biology and Chemistry look great choices and with the right grades should give you the option of going to a top uni.

University wise, you're probably heading for better options than I had, but I would recommend anyone with plans to go to make sure their degree leads as directly as possible to one particular job. I made the mistake of doing a Film degree and since graduating 10 years ago I've come to realise it was a waste of 3 years. For me to break into that industry I'd have to spend at least a couple of years doing unpaid work as a runner etc, something I'm not willing to do and could have done without my degree anyway.

The advantage with job specific degrees or degree apprenticeships as cityexile mentions are that your career effectively begins as soon as your course begins, you don't end up like myself and so many other students not knowing what on earth to do when uni ends and end up just taking an unrelated job afterwards. 

The scholarship sounds great though, definitely go for it, they'll push you to make sure you get the best grades possible.

Best of luck with it, wish I could wind the clock back and make better decisions when I was your age.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Your grades are predicted to be very high. Go get them!

Do you have any thoughts yet what path you might want to go down? You are very much lining up the chemical/biology route, and closing down engineering, that kind of route. If that is 'you' then fine. Otherwise, Physics instead of Psychology keeps more options open. If you hate one, you can drop it or take it only as an AS, as three is fine.

My own experience of Post 16 studies is that, within reason, 90% of it is down to your own efforts reading around and private study. 

If you are thinking medicine, then...it's tough. Think about getting some relevant work experience in a Year 12, it is vital to any personal statement on UCAS down the road. Equally, have the end game in sight...think about how you can undertake some enrichment to strengthen what you can offer.

You sound like you have been doing this, but go to school sixth form open days. Can you see yourself there? Look at their Dfee results which are all online for Post 16. Academic results...I would say 'value added' from students starting point is a better indication than raw attainment.

This is the one for Colstons, which as you will see they do well under value added...click in A Levels.

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/109336/colston's-school?tab=ks5-16-to-18

Apprenceships for sure are growing, but in complete honesty, with your grades, better maybe to look for 'degree apprenticeships' when you are 18, if that is sounding interesting to you. As others have said, also speak to your careers advisor.

And good luck.

Yeah when I went to Colstons they seemed to offer a lot of extra opportunities and seemed to have a real focus on making you stand out. However I’m not sure whether it’s just somewhere I feel comfortable and I’m not sure why, it just feels wrong for me. But I’m going to apply for the scholarship, if I don’t get it, it makes my options a lot easier and if I do get it then it’s something I would really have to consider, just in the hope that it makes me stand out. At Colston’s they also only allow you to take 3 A levels so that would probably mean I’d take maths,chemistry and biology. I don’t really know much about degree apprenticeships so will have to have a look into that. Thanks for all the advice mate. 

With those grades I'd personally 100% go for A-Levels. A degree is optional, these days some see them as a requirement but anyone with their head screwed on knows that experience is worth far more. But with those predicted grades, it sounds like you'd be wasted massively if you went straight for an apprenticeship when you can get further qualifications for free and keep all of your options open.

14 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Can't comment on your local area obviously but Maths, Biology and Chemistry look great choices and with the right grades should give you the option of going to a top uni.

University wise, you're probably heading for better options than I had, but I would recommend anyone with plans to go to make sure their degree leads as directly as possible to one particular job. I made the mistake of doing a Film degree and since graduating 10 years ago I've come to realise it was a waste of 3 years. For me to break into that industry I'd have to spend at least a couple of years doing unpaid work as a runner etc, something I'm not willing to do and could have done without my degree anyway.

The advantage with job specific degrees or degree apprenticeships as cityexile mentions are that your career effectively begins as soon as your course begins, you don't end up like myself and so many other students not knowing what on earth to do when uni ends and end up just taking an unrelated job afterwards. 

The scholarship sounds great though, definitely go for it, they'll push you to make sure you get the best grades possible.

Best of luck with it, wish I could wind the clock back and make better decisions when I was your age.

Yeah with the price of university you really need to make sure it’s somethibg you will use. Thinking about probably doing a degree so would have to be sure that’s what I really want before taking it. But yeah the scholarship is a really good prospect for Me as there would be zero chance of my family ever being able to afford going to a place like that. Classes are really small with about 6 people in each class and they do help by providing a lot of enrichment to make sure you stand out over others. Now I just have to make sure I make the most of these opportunities and try and get that scholarship

2 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Not in the same industry but yay for unpaid internships ?

23 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Filton College didnt do me any harm. I was fairly intelligent at that age, not as much as you with those predicted grades but I'd have been a fish out of water at Colstons.

Im not going to lie I’m kinda scared I’d be like that at Colston’s. It’s REALLY posh and I’m basically the complete opposite and it all just seems very rigid in what you do with not much room to have any freedom. Is it like that in most other places or is it a bit more relaxed elsewhere?

Cant talk on A levels or Uni etc as it wasnt for me. But, my one piece of advice that I would offer, and I know that I and all my friends wish they had done this is spend a lot of time thinking and nailing down the job that you want to be doing when you are 35-40. Or at least the industry you want to be in. Then follow that path.

I am in a position now where I am trapped in Sales. Cannot change jobs as have no other experience and cannot take a pay cut as have a family to raise. Dont get me wrong, its not the worst problem in the world but wish I could spend a week or so really thinking deep about what I wanted.

Finally, dont go to Colstons as you have mentioned a fair few times that its not for you. Gut instinct is important

12 hours ago, Bobby200 said:

Im not going to lie I’m kinda scared I’d be like that at Colston’s. It’s REALLY posh and I’m basically the complete opposite and it all just seems very rigid in what you do with not much room to have any freedom. Is it like that in most other places or is it a bit more relaxed elsewhere?

Can only speak for Filton but that was a mix of people, just a better standard of teaching than at school. And then no matter what university you go to you should find people to fit in with. I went to Exeter which is fairly upper class whereas Im not but Ive made lifelong friends.

If you are fortunate (and intelligent) enough to achieve the grades predicted and be offered a scholarship at Colston's, then my advice would be to offer a quiet word of Thanks to whoever is looking over you and take it with both hands.

Speaking as an ex-council house boy, coincidentally also originating from Horfield (Tilling Road, although it was actually classed as Westbury-On-Trym at the time), I was fortunate enough to attend what was then classed as a direct grant grammar school, although not on a scholarship, and my experience was very much that, whilst there were certainly lots of 'posh boys' as you describe them, you will be judged more on who you are as a person, rather than on where you live or by your parents' trade or profession.

Not only will you receive a wonderful education, both academic and sporting, but, if you pay attention and apply yourself conscientously, you will learn that any negative thoughts you might have currently about yourself and/or your background are totally unfounded: indeed, you will undoubtedly acquire the confidence in yourself to approach university or a profession sufficiently relaxed to succeed in whatever field you should choose.

There are many posters on this forum both older (in some cases) and wiser (in even more) who will be able to vouch for what I am posting.

Good Luck      

On 19/10/2018 at 19:47, Bobby200 said:

I’m currently in year 11 and trying to decide on where to go once I leave school. I live in horfield ( Please don’t remind me) and without trying to be big headed im predicted to get 8s and 9s in all my exams ( basically A* and A** to those who don’t know the new system). I want to do A-Levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and is there’s a chance maybe even psychology. I don’t mind travelling up to about an hour but I can only take the bus as my family doesn’t have a car. I’m not sure where to go, and am visiting a lot currently.. I’ve been to colstons and seems very good although they are really posh and I know I wouldn’t be comfortable with a lot of the things there. Although it’s private they offer scholarships and my teachers have said Id likely get one should I try. Should I go Colston’s or  or does anybody know of any other good places I can go?

Absolutely take the best that is on offer. Posh boys or not, if you have achieved the same level as them you deserve your place too. Why leave it all to the posh boys to have the career you want?

Nobody will pin a medal on your chest for choosing morals over standards, they offer the best around and you have proven to be capable of meeting those standards.

You only get this chance once so I would make the most of it now, it's far easier to go backwards in life than forwards. 

23 hours ago, Bobby200 said:

I can't really help with where's the best place to go etc but what I will say is based on what you have said it appears your heart really isn't in it to go to Colstons and if your heart isn't in it then is there really any point in going there? It's a big choice to make and if you go to Colstons and then after a couple of months find out your gut instinct was right and you simply don't get on there then that could set you back a little.

Slightly different but I could have had better paid jobs etc in the past but decided against it because I enjoyed the lesser paid jobs more. 

In my life I've figured out unless I'm 100% commited to doing something then there is no point in me doing it and most importantly I've learned to trust my gut instinct, your gut instinct is telling you to not go to Colstons so it would be worth looking around to see if there is somewhere else you would feel comfortable.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I can't really help with where's the best place to go etc but what I will say is based on what you have said it appears your heart really isn't in it to go to Colstons and if your heart isn't in it then is there really any point in going there? It's a big choice to make and if you go to Colstons and then after a couple of months find out your gut instinct was right and you simply don't get on there then that could set you back a little.

Slightly different but I could have had better paid jobs etc in the past but decided against it because I enjoyed the lesser paid jobs more. 

In my life I've figured out unless I'm 100% commited to doing something then there is no point in me doing it and most importantly I've learned to trust my gut instinct, your gut instinct is telling you to not go to Colstons so it would be worth looking around to see if there is somewhere else you would feel comfortable.

Yeah my parents have been saying to me that If I don’t feel it’s for me then don’t go. I’ve got a tour set up for a couple of weeks so that will hopefully tell me whether I like the way it works. Because I don’t really want to be going somewhere I hate for 2 years.

On 19/10/2018 at 19:47, Bobby200 said:

I would 100% recommend University, best 3 years of my life - living away from home and the sesh each week is fantastic, best time of my life. If you get the opportunity to go, do it.

Only thing I would say is this: choose a degree that leads to a job. Don't do something tragic ('Film Studies') or vague ('History'). Do something specific with something in mind lined up e.g. if you want to work in languages, do Spanish, you want to work at Airbus, do Engineering.

Don't be afraid to mix it with the posh boys. You may have started life in humble surroundings but if you want to make it to the top in whatever field, you'll have to be comfortable mixing and working with people from all backgrounds.

You can learn from people brought up with a different background and believe it or not they will learn from you and appreciate where you've come from. 

You've clearly got the brains, I think going to Colstons will give you the confidence to go with it.

• Admin
23 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Don't be afraid to mix it with the posh boys. You may have started life in humble surroundings but if you want to make it to the top in whatever field, you'll have to be comfortable mixing and working with people from all backgrounds.

You can learn from people brought up with a different background and believe it or not they will learn from you and appreciate where you've come from. 

You've clearly got the brains, I think going to Colstons will give you the confidence to go with it.

Can’t agree more.  I left school with very little in the way of qualifications, through nightschool and experience, I have worked my way into a role with professional recognition that means I deal with global heads of companies and departments, down through the organisation to people in far less high profile roles, I wish I’d have had the chance to get a ‘posh boys’ education, maybe I’d be one of the heads of industry instead of just dealing with them......

It's all about opinions, and there are many routes to success currently but I think if you have the academic capability some are easier than others. 

Personally I wouldn't recommend medicine for a very long list of reasons that I don't anticipate changing any time soon, and certainly dissuaded my girls from that career path.

In my experience I'd stick to a sixth form associated with a school rather than a stand alone college , again for several reasons although I don't necessarily think the outcome is significantly improved by choosing one associated with a private school, and as long as you check the performance figures of the colleges you're interested in. A number of the better performing comprehensives/academies or whatever they call themselves nowadays will put substantially more effort into maximizing your results as they have a financial incentive to do so.

From there assuming you get good grades. It depends on whether you have decided on your chosen career or not. If you have, best of luck in it, if not pick a generic subject you enjoy, Maths/English/Languages possibly but go for a Red Brick Uni. With that combination you have limitless career options and employers tend to find you more interesting.

One of my girls knew what she wanted to do and ran with it, the other did English at Manchester and now works for F/B in New York earning an obscene amount and she's not yet 30. 

Possibly that advise is a little more long-winded than you wanted or needed, and I think my overriding message is that if you can aim for a Red Brick and do anything there, it'll give you an edge as they remain highly respected.

Archived