IGNORED

LombardRallyBath 2018 - recreating 1970s/80s classic rally .

WhistleHappy

This weekend... Underway now, cars due back in Bath around 5pm.

Only just heard of this event, dozens of classic rally cars from yesteryear and many household name star drivers taking part.. Set off this morning about 8am .. 

http://lombardrallybath.co.uk/ 

Hope plenty of photos will find their way onto this OTIB thread... I'm sure there will be loads of nostalgic interest.

Does anyone know if this event is likely to receive much tv coverage (if any) ?  

Would make a great subject for a documentary ,  I hope someone is doing something along these lines.

Can't believe this is the first I've heard of it when mentioned on Radio Bristol this morning..

From a bygone era when motorsport was raw, dangerous, brilliant, and at it's best... Crazy but great!

PHOTO'S/VIDEOS HERE PLEASE.... ??????

This is a recreation of the original events of yesteryear in that they have a large gathering of some very tasty cars and are using Bath as the start point for the weekend. It is, I must stress, a non-competitive event! There will not be any timing at all, no 'stages' to watch as such. This is being held under a 'classic tour' category and will not be allowed to go at full speed. It will, however,  be a great event to see these fabulous old motors and I'm sure it will draw out many with memories of the original RAC events of the 60s-80s. It has been on local media but it would not attract the full storm that the old events did. Now that would be crazy but great.

I understand the crews will be heading around Somerset today - Longleat House and Porlock Hill included - before returning back to Bath for a natter and fettling. There should be some good opportunities to snap these wonderful cars from a bygone era and hopefully someone will be able to post them here.

The best event to capture the true spirit of the old RAC rallies is the Roger Albert Clark, which is a two-yearly event that is running next year. It is a proper five -day marathon taking in flat-out stages in Wales, Scotland and 'Killer' Kielder.

Archived