IGNORED

The Ok I blinked first Brentford v City matchday thread

Major Isewater

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can someone tell me what I’m supposed to think about this team now?

I keep hearing how terrible we are, how rubbish our manager is, and how we’re never going to achieve anything, etc, etc, etc - but we’re 9th in the table, with half of sniff of a play off spot. And if the season finished now we’d have improved for five years in a row.

I really not quite sure how I feel about everything now.

Lost and we'd have been 16th, the league table means f'all at the moment.

hope that helps.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Delighted we have won.

Without the sending off for them and Baker's injury, I still think they would have won the match though.

DaSilva played really well, and Max pulled off saves when needed even if his distribution was a bit dodgy. 

Delighted...really? You are probably the most negative poster on here, you say that they would have won without the sending off, and our players injury, Oh well cheer up there is always Wednesday hoping for a Hull win.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I keep hearing how terrible we are, how rubbish our manager is, and how we’re never going to achieve anything, etc, etc, etc - but we’re 9th in the table, with half of sniff of a play off spot. And if the season finished now we’d have improved for five years in a row.

I think this league really is bang average this year. Without being negative for the sake of it,I think we are higher than we will finish. We don't really look up to much. Won't flirt with the relegation spots this season as there are some really poor teams in this league.

1 minute ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Get your mate into rehab as soon as you can…………even first half  ?

He's a die-hard Bees fan and well-balanced chap who probably watches more games than both of us put together. 

It's always funny to read how opposition fans see the game. While City fans were  probably on edge over our failings in that half, he was probably acutely aware of theirs.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Delighted...really? You are probably the most negative poster on here, you say that they would have won without the sending off, and our players injury, Oh well cheer up there is always Wednesday hoping for a Hull win.

Pr@t, I've probably seen more City games than you have had hot dinners and will continue to do so until I'm not able, does not mean I can't call out bad management or bad play when I see it.

Great result today but it was down to chance as I said and could easily have gone the other way. 

9 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Loved watching Hunt doing the psychological work on that whinging Brentford tw4t in added time!  Class beyond his years!!!  ??

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Weimann laughing at the sent-off guy as he walked past too.

Maupay played into Hunt's hands and kept crying. Well done lads today

Another 5 minutes and they would have been down to 8 men.

From their forum;

"Jack Hunt what a vile shit. Surprised Neal didn't knock him spark out"   ?

We are a bang average side thatll lose a few win a few and draw a few.

As my neutral mate said

Goaly did well for a debut

CBs solid and good at bringing the ball out

Da Silva decent going forward

Right back totally average

Left winger totally ineffective

Number 8 didnt know he was playing

Big lumbering guy in CM no pace but spread it ok

Right wing hit and miss shit at shooting but must be happy with his day getting the red and the goal

Strikers busy but lacking quality

And so sums us up

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Two weeks ago I pointed out how good Kelly and DaSilva look together. We lost Baker but gained momentum.

DaSilva is a bit small and this will be a barrier at the very top, but with us in this league with Kelly he is as good as anything out there

In my earlier response I was going to say that he reminds me quite a bit of Marcelo at Real Madrid** - in stature, physique and the way he moves forward he seems very much in the same mould.

In light of what you mentioned above I looked up the height of both - Dasilva is 1.70m and Marcelo 1.74m so not much in it, but I think the modern trend is definitely toward taller full backs (probably what you meant in your comment). In reality he may have to be a "lot better" than team mates to push on at every stage.   

** Without trying to sound all Bristol Rovers "barcelona of league 2!" - Obviously I don't necessarily think he is at that or level or even will necessarily get to that level (he'll need luck to come through the ranks at Chelsea, as they seem to prefer to buy for their first team) However he seems a good talent and hopefully a real prospect.

7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Pr@t, I've probably seen more City games than you have had hot dinners and will continue to do so until I'm not able, does not mean I can't call out bad management or bad play when I see it.

Great result today but it was down to chance as I said and could easily have gone the other way. 

It sounds that way, but I would argue the WBA and Sheff Wed games could also have gone the other way. That's football. I dont think we are too far away from where we will finish- more than acceptable after the loss of arguably our 3 best players

27 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

feel how you want to.

For me there are positives and negatives, but the positives outweigh the negatives at this point, and have done for quite a while despite the poor end to last season.

16 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I think this league really is bang average this year. Without being negative for the sake of it,I think we are higher than we will finish. We don't really look up to much. Won't flirt with the relegation spots this season as there are some really poor teams in this league.

Fair assessment I think. I agree we seem average, but maybe average will be enough to keep us in with a sniff of the play offs, given how unremarkable the league seems to be this year. It’s all very difficult to predict.

2 minutes ago, cityal said:

In my earlier response I was going to say that he reminds me quite a bit of Marcelo at Real Madrid** - in stature, physique and the way he moves forward he seems very much in the same mould.

In light of what you mentioned above I looked up the height of both - Dasilva is 1.70m and Marcelo 1.74m so not much in it, but I think the modern trend is definitely toward taller full backs (probably what you meant in your comment). In reality he may have to be a "lot better" than team mates to push on at every stage.   

** Without trying to sound all Bristol Rovers "barcelona of league 2!" - Obviously I don't necessarily think he is at that or level or even will necessarily get to that level (he'll need luck to come through the ranks at Chelsea, as they seem to prefer to buy for their first team) However he seems a good talent and hopefully a real prospect.

Definitely a talented player and perhaps we will look at making an offer as there really is no way he is anywhere near Chelsea match day squad, hence he is at AG

Players are generally taller and more muscular than they ever were. There will always be players that buck the trend and maybe DeSilva will be one also 

32 minutes ago, RumRed said:

hope that helps.

But we didn’t lose. I don’t think the table means f’all. I think what it means is most of the teams in the division are of a very similar standard and fine margins will decide who finishes where. And so far those margins are just in our favour, on the basis that we are in the top half.

37 minutes ago, RumRed said:

hope that helps.

Absolutely. If we had lost and were 16th every poster would have been saying it meant f'all.

There would have been no calls for LJ's head and no claims that we are in a relegation scrap.

Or possibly not.

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

stolen it, did you actually watch the game? apart from the first 20 minutes we were by far the better side and that was well before they were down to 10 men.

You're right. I didn't see that as a steal either. 10 men yes, but we did go for it and had to put up with a lot of fouling and bitching. Great feeling when the goal went in so late. Brentford got their just deserts IMO

Good day's work, boys...  let's kick on now

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Personally think with such a young squad we’ll continue to be inconsistent and will probably finish mid table which is ok as long as we’re progressing in the long term. Be nice to get a run with a fully fit squad as well . Shows how far we’ve come when we’ve got 4 academy players in the squad plus young uns like Walsh,  elliasson , da Silva , brownhill holding their own at this level. 

1 hour ago, jrabrewer said:

It sounds that way, but I would argue the WBA and Sheff Wed games could also have gone the other way. That's football. I dont think we are too far away from where we will finish- more than acceptable after the loss of arguably our 3 best players

Agree with all that. Last five games we have created enough to have picked a up a little more. Just poor finishing. Today, big moments went our way, it was a truely glorious miss from their striker early on, and the sending off, well, one of them really, nether were shocking tackles and maybe a little unlucky.

Thin margins and all that, just broke our way today.

Archived