IGNORED

Match Report: City Purple patch puts paid to Brentford's Red mist

Olé

Short match report from a pub in Waterloo but MASSIVE thanks to @Tiree and @Snufflelufagus for tickets :clap:

Bookmakers had little faith in out of form City's chances today, making high flying Brentford clear favourites on a day when the away side - short of results at Griffin Park and recently bad after international breaks - were supposed to be easy work for the hosts new manager.

Instead City weathered a typical Brentford onslaught down the wings, debut keeper O'Leary solid with everything fired at him as the home side got the ball into the box looking for the traditional sight of a Bees spare man with the finish. Instead in the second half City game roaring back.

We were rarely in it for an hour but it was a masterclass in patience as the away side survived everything thrown at them before De Silva, Hunt, Eliasson and Paterson took control of the wings playing towards their fans, frustrating Brentford and drawing a succession of fouls.

Prior to that it took a first half injury to the fragile Baker to galvanise City, a decision to move classy Kelly inside and introduce a very determined Da Silva gave the away side some much needed impetus, finishing the first half strongly with Taylor bundling in a far post header - sadly offside.

The Bees have won many friends this year for their slick attacking endeavour but in the second half save for a low right wing shot into the inside of O'Leary's post, they became an irritable, strangely disjointed side that steamed into City players and invited the cards which followed.

It was no surprise that the Bees had a man sent off - others could have followed - and with the extra space classy Eliasson and Paterson on the other flank went to work, aided by sub Da Silva, who along with Hunt secured the flanks before going on to dominate the exchanges.

Man of the match Eliasson twice worked sublime opportunities for himself after his quick feet and poise allowed him to skip past home players before firing wildly over - on other occasions he'd also pepper the box with vicious crosses - but in the last minute he would make no mistake.

City had been threatening against 10 men from both flanks but their patience would pay off as the outstanding Da Silva swung yet another cross into Brentford's overworked backline and a rush to attack the ball in front of goal would leave Eliasson free at the far post to head home.

Before the conclusion Maupay upended one City player, jabbed another in the face before storming off in a war of words with Hunt as Brentford's meltdown completed while City, mature, streetwise throughout, took the praise  for sitting in patiently and storming back in the second half.

O'Leary 8 Faultless debut

Hunt 7 Solid and effective going forward but the characteristic occasional loose touch

Kelly 8 One Moore-esque challenge at CB and classy as always - missed a header in one of our best chances

Webster 7 Solid and streetwise against a fast mischievous Brentford side

Baker 5 Unfortunate but succumbs to injury so easily

Pack 6 Kept it simple and did everything required, not influential and clattered late by another Brentford agricultural tackle

Brownhill 7 Some storming runs when we were second best, only indecision meant he didn't create our opener

Paterson 7 Quiet in the first half but got into them second half and a nuisance

Eliassson 9 Amazing really for someone who didn't touch the ball for half an hour that we got him not only into the game but he abused the full back for 45 minutes and was always most likely to score

Taylor 6 Determined but rarely in a position to bring teammates into it

Weimann 6 Well marked, physical but rarely in the game

Da Silva 8 Man of the match if not for Eliassson - outstanding at both ends

Diedhiou 5 Couldn't get into the game

Walsh 7 Certainly helped us take control of the last ten minutes, assured passing and lots of energy

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Was O'Leary not a little shakey in that first 25 mins? He grew into the match and certainly finished strongly, but surely we can admit he was a little dodgy at first. A 6 not an 8.

6 would be very harsh for someone making their league debut. He got close to being caught out on the ball in the first half, made one or two bad distributions in the second, but was very sound when it came to shotstopping and even claiming from corners. Brentford should really have had better shots with the chances they had, but he saved them well and never pushed the ball back to an attacking player.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

6 would be very harsh for someone making their league debut. He got close to being caught out on the ball in the first half, made one or two bad distributions in the second, but was very sound when it came to shotstopping and even claiming from corners. Brentford should really have had better shots with the chances they had, but he saved them well and never pushed the ball back to an attacking player.

Nah. 6 is basically "just better than satisfactory" 5 means he did nothing bad and nothing good. He was a bit better than standard.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nah. 6 is basically "just better than satisfactory" 5 means he did nothing bad and nothing good. He was a bit better than standard.

My ratings are based on a 6 being a player who’s done his job, earned his corn.  Stupid really, ought to be 5...but I’ve always done 6. ?

53 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And I thought the goal was a shot, not a header! But may be wrong, not a great view from the back!

You're quite right. I could see he was going to finish it and was already losing my **** before I saw how he actually finished it. Side footed home.

Couple of wild finishes from him earlier in the second half but the play which preceded each of his chances - sensational poise and technique on the ball to dance past their defenders and get into the box where he had no right to do so, made him utterly deserving of the winner.

And anyone who saw Eliasson take down O'Leary's 60 yard goal kick on the touchline as if it was a short pass he was controlling, will know quite what a baller we have there. Clearly a young, confidence player who needs to be played into the game, but a rare talent when he is!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My ratings are based on a 6 being a player who’s done his job, earned his corn.  Stupid really, ought to be 5...but I’ve always done 6. ?

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Fair, that's different to my ratings then. When I give someone a 5 that's generally a pretty poor game.

Fair but I just don't understand that. It's a 10 point scale. Surely 0 is abysmal,10 is perfect and 5 is your epitome of meh 

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fair but I just don't understand that. It's a 10 point scale. Surely 0 is abysmal,10 is perfect and 5 is your epitome of meh 

I know, said elsewhere, it’s what Match Magazine used to do in the early 80s, in Football Manager, players all start with a 6/10 too, Fantasy Football, etc.  Bonkers, but can’t change now!!!

JD - Taylor and Weimann to start Wednesday.  Weimann could have two today....one a slight deflection as Eliasson’s Cross came to him, the second a great point blank save from Bentley.  Another day, one if not both go in.  Taylor, two disallowed, one defo offside, the other possibly not (need to see it back).

Those 3/4 chances were good ones.  Be interesting to see the xG from Experimental361 tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Pack 6 Kept it simple and did everything required, not influential and clattered late by another Brentford agricultural tackle

O'Leary was far from faultless imo. His lobbed throws were dodgy, far to much air and slow, and he nearly got caught with the ball at his feet in the first half. I'll cut him some slack as it was his debut and hopefully he's a fast learner. But an 8 is a bit OTT imo.

I thought Pack bossed it late first half and all second half, got well stuck into them, right in their faces and looked a lot better than his last two games. A good 7 or 8 for me.

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

O'Leary was far from faultless imo. His lobbed throws were dodgy, far to much air and slow, and he nearly got caught with the ball at his feet in the first half. I'll cut him some slack as it was his debut and hopefully he's a fast learner. But an 8 is a bit OTT imo.

I thought Pack bossed it late first half and all second half, got well stuck into them, right in their faces and looked a lot better than his last two games. A good 7 or 8 for me.

All his throws allowed for a touch and time to pass. Don’t know what else can be done. Caught on the ball is also harsh as Baker played him into a world of trouble. He was still 6/10 for me but done nothing wrong at all

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

All his throws allowed for a touch and time to pass. Don’t know what else can be done. Caught on the ball is also harsh as Baker played him into a world of trouble. He was still 6/10 for me but done nothing wrong at all

Can't agree re his throws, they were generally poor imo and put team mates under unnecessary pressure. If a keeper wants to play it out in that way, make the throw a hell of a lot quicker rather than lobbing it and giving it air. It didn't happen too often but it needs addressing imo. Other than that, did everything asked of him.

But yes, I forgot the awful pass he got from Baker (despite defending him earlier saying that he had no chance as the pass back was crap - must have had one too many).

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I know, said elsewhere, it’s what Match Magazine used to do in the early 80s, in Football Manager, players all start with a 6/10 too, Fantasy Football, etc.  Bonkers, but can’t change now!!!

Although in Football Manager it's different since they added decimals.

If a players on 6.6 or lower he's below par really, only become "bad" sub 6 though.

Old Football Manager/Championship Manager started at 6.

(I'm being a bit pedantic, but I have wasted far too many hours on the various versions)

The stream was decent but I'm at the inlays in Essex and the wifi is shit.
I thought Kelly looked class when he moved inside. Still has a tendency to get caught on the ball at FB, but he'll learn.
From what little I saw, I liked the look of Walsh. Seemed to play with his head up and look to play forward. The way he's been held back I was surprised to see him at all.
DaSilva looked very useful again.
Eliasson , I think we have a very good player there. If he can just calm himself when he gets in a shooting position we'd have a real threat.
Thelast mention has to go to Oleary, very tidy debut. Claimed crosses, saved shots and has a long kick on him. Like others , decision making needs work, and I agree so do his throws. But over all promising.

I am claiming an assist though. My betting is so bad I'm just about jinx level. So today I did Brentford in my Accy. ...........  You're welcome :yes:

By the looks of the analysis on the highlights last night (back on Quest this morning) Taylor's disallowed header in the first half was actually just onside. 

Good to have us on the longer highlights section for once. And other than the first 20 mins or so, the chances looked pretty even between the 2 sides. Second yellow for Mepham looked soft, but we have had worse decisions against us in recent seasons.

Neat finish from Eliasson for the goal, and a decent interview by LJ with Colin Murray, who still seems to have a soft spot for us!

Hopefully we can build on this in the next 2 home games, as the table is ridiculously tight, with even down to Stoke & Bolton looking up the table towards the playoffs, then a 4 point gap to the few teams struggling at the bottom like Hull.

16 minutes ago, Super said:

Eliasson 9? I gave him 6 because he got the winner. He wasnt great.

Yea 9 was well too high. He was anonymous before he got Mepham sent off. Some say soft but a defender knows he can’t touch him in that scenario. Anyway back to NE, nothing before that and his shots before his goals were so bad. Even his set pieces didn’t look as crisp imo. I’d give him a 7 for picking up last half hour and scoring but not a vintage performance

No one imo deserved a 9. Even Dasilva who had a good game had a lot of not so great moments. He just countered those with quality so some have given him MoM but not for me. Best player yesterday was Webster for me. Ultra efficient defender who is calm on the ball and rarely makes wrong decisions. 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I am the same, but take my cue from The Sunday People match reports in the 1970s. 6 was average, 5 below average and 7 above average, 4 was poor, 3 was a stinker and 2 and 1 weren't even listed but from what I can ascertain meant that any recipient of such a low mark should be seen queuing at the Labour Exchange first thing Monday morning. 8 meant very good, 9 outstanding and 10 was out of this world. In all the match reports I read in City's four years in the top flight in the 1970s, only one player ever received a 10. These tens were very, very, very rarely dished out. Maybe one player would be awarded a ten in all the matches the Sunday People covered each year. The 10 went to Liam Brady in Arsenal's 3-1 victory at Ashton Gate, and well deserved it was too. It still remains, for me, the best individual display I've ever seen at The Gate. The guy basically ran the show.

Anyway, like yourself, Davefevs, I always think a 6 means a player has done what is expected of him, nothing more, nothing less, whereas a 5 means he has been a bit below par...yet, really 5 should mean what 6 means. Indeed, it wasn't until reading this thread that I realized that I had fallen into the trap of thinking that EVERYONE was using the same criteria as myself culled from the 1970s, and there have been plenty of times where City have got a half decent result and more than half the team have been given just 5 or less by posters on here that I've considered them barmy as surely a half decent result wouldn't have been achieved with more than half the team playing below par! Now I realize 5 could well have meant average.

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I am the same, but take my cue from The Sunday People match reports in the 1970s. 6 was average, 5 below average and 7 above average, 4 was poor, 3 was a stinker and 2 and 1 weren't even listed but from what I can ascertain meant that any recipient of such a low mark should be seen queuing at the Labour Exchange first thing Monday morning. 8 meant very good, 9 outstanding and 10 was out of this world. In all the match reports I read in City's four years in the top flight in the 1970s, only one player ever received a 10. These tens were very, very, very rarely dished out. Maybe one player would be awarded a ten in all the matches the Sunday People covered each year. The 10 went to Liam Brady in Arsenal's 3-1 victory at Ashton Gate, and well deserved it was too. It still remains, for me, the best individual display I've ever seen at The Gate. The guy basically ran the show.

Anyway, like yourself, Davefevs, I always think a 6 means a player has done what is expected of him, nothing more, nothing less, whereas a 5 means he has been a bit below par...yet, really 5 should mean what 6 means. Indeed, it wasn't until reading this thread that I realized that I had fallen into the trap of thinking that EVERYONE was using the same criteria as myself culled from the 1970s, and there have been plenty of times where City have got a half decent result and more than half the team have been given just 5 or less by posters on here that I've considered them barmy as surely a half decent result wouldn't have been achieved with more than half the team playing below par! Now I realize 5 could well have meant average.

I sometimes do opposition ratings too.  In theory, both sides should add up to 132 (22 players x 6 - ignoring subs), but I bet they don’t!!

When I used to do Dreamteam Fantasy Football, you used to get 3 bonus points for 7+.  The spurs reporter never gave anyone less than a 7!!

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Does anyone have the footage of Hunt winding up the Brentford player? 

Absolutely cracked up watching that!

I was having a chuckle at that as well.

Another 5 minutes and Maupay would have been sent off.

The Brentford players really responded badly to the sledging they were getting, very naive and put them off their game.

Pack was also in their faces and getting stuck in which they didn't like, and Weimann saying something and laughing at their player as he went off the pitch went down well with their players...not.

Makes a change for City players to get stuck in like that and I wonder if they were told that Brentford were easily wound up or if the players decided it themselves ? Either way, it worked a treat.

30 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I was having a chuckle at that as well.

Another 5 minutes and Maupay would have been sent off.

The Brentford players really responded badly to the sledging they were getting, very naive and put them off their game.

Pack was also in their faces and getting stuck in which they didn't like, and Weimann saying something and laughing at their player as he went off the pitch went down well with their players...not.

Makes a change for City players to get stuck in like that and I wonder if they were told that Brentford were easily wound up or if the players decided it themselves ? Either way, it worked a treat.

Maybe that’s why one of the best footballing sides in the Championship don’t go all the way?

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe that’s why one of the best footballing sides in the Championship don’t go all the way?

Apparently, according to some of their fans, they have had this tendency to get wound up in a few games this season and its cost them. Its the old football adage, you have to earn the right to play the way you want to play and not expect the opposition to roll over.

I think there was a bit of complacency in their team yesterday and they forgot the above.

If they do that regularly, they'll lose more than they'll win in this division imo.

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Was O'Leary not a little shakey in that first 25 mins? He grew into the match and certainly finished strongly, but surely we can admit he was a little dodgy at first. A 6 not an 8.

Kept a clean sheet got a touch to put the ball on the post (top quality save) made several other decent stops...Six...:laugh:! 

19 hours ago, Olé said:

Short match report from a pub in Waterloo but MASSIVE thanks to @Tiree and @Snufflelufagus for tickets :clap:

Bookmakers had little faith in out of form City's chances today, making high flying Brentford clear favourites on a day when the away side - short of results at Griffin Park and recently bad after international breaks - were supposed to be easy work for the hosts new manager.

Instead City weathered a typical Brentford onslaught down the wings, debut keeper O'Leary solid with everything fired at him as the home side got the ball into the box looking for the traditional sight of a Bees spare man with the finish. Instead in the second half City game roaring back.

We were rarely in it for an hour but it was a masterclass in patience as the away side survived everything thrown at them before De Silva, Hunt, Eliasson and Paterson took control of the wings playing towards their fans, frustrating Brentford and drawing a succession of fouls.

Prior to that it took a first half injury to the fragile Baker to galvanise City, a decision to move classy Kelly inside and introduce a very determined Da Silva gave the away side some much needed impetus, finishing the first half strongly with Taylor bundling in a far post header - sadly offside.

The Bees have won many friends this year for their slick attacking endeavour but in the second half save for a low right wing shot into the inside of O'Leary's post, they became an irritable, strangely disjointed side that steamed into City players and invited the cards which followed.

It was no surprise that the Bees had a man sent off - others could have followed - and with the extra space classy Eliasson and Paterson on the other flank went to work, aided by sub Da Silva, who along with Hunt secured the flanks before going on to dominate the exchanges.

Man of the match Eliasson twice worked sublime opportunities for himself after his quick feet and poise allowed him to skip past home players before firing wildly over - on other occasions he'd also pepper the box with vicious crosses - but in the last minute he would make no mistake.

City had been threatening against 10 men from both flanks but their patience would pay off as the outstanding Da Silva swung yet another cross into Brentford's overworked backline and a rush to attack the ball in front of goal would leave Eliasson free at the far post to head home.

Before the conclusion Maupay upended one City player, jabbed another in the face before storming off in a war of words with Hunt as Brentford's meltdown completed while City, mature, streetwise throughout, took the praise  for sitting in patiently and storming back in the second half.

Hunt 7 Solid and effective going forward but the characteristic occasional loose touch

Kelly 8 One Moore-esque challenge at CB and classy as always - missed a header in one of our best chances

Webster 7 Solid and streetwise against a fast mischievous Brentford side

Baker 5 Unfortunate but succumbs to injury so easily

Brownhill 7 Some storming runs when we were second best, only indecision meant he didn't create our opener

Paterson 7 Quiet in the first half but got into them second half and a nuisance

Eliassson 9 Amazing really for someone who didn't touch the ball for half an hour that we got him not only into the game but he abused the full back for 45 minutes and was always most likely to score

Taylor 6 Determined but rarely in a position to bring teammates into it

Weimann 6 Well marked, physical but rarely in the game

Da Silva 8 Man of the match if not for Eliassson - outstanding at both ends

Diedhiou 5 Couldn't get into the game

Walsh 7 Certainly helped us take control of the last ten minutes, assured passing and lots of energy

We all knew Baker was going off didn’t we. The bloke is made of sugar and spice and all things nice!

Hunt is a bit of an anathema. He does really good things while we are waiting for him to cock something up...Hopefully that will get better

Kelly is class

Taylor ran his socks off for not much as did Weimann. We must have the two fittest forwards in the league.

Great goal for Elliason but I had him as an eight...My MOM was Desilva as the game changed momentum completely when he came on, he and Kelly look like a proper little team moving forward and defending....and he picked out Elliason with the cross when everyone was moving toward Diedhiou whose run sucked in their defense which adds a point for me to his score

However not being to pedantic thanks for your reports I always look for them post match 

20 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The stream was decent but I'm at the inlays in Essex and the wifi is shit.
I thought Kelly looked class when he moved inside. Still has a tendency to get caught on the ball at FB, but he'll learn.
From what little I saw, I liked the look of Walsh. Seemed to play with his head up and look to play forward. The way he's been held back I was surprised to see him at all.
DaSilva looked very useful again.
Eliasson , I think we have a very good player there. If he can just calm himself when he gets in a shooting position we'd have a real threat.
Thelast mention has to go to Oleary, very tidy debut. Claimed crosses, saved shots and has a long kick on him. Like others , decision making needs work, and I agree so do his throws. But over all promising.

I am claiming an assist though. My betting is so bad I'm just about jinx level. So today I did Brentford in my Accy. ...........  You're welcome :yes:

Sorry been drinking read at the inlaws in essex and the wife is shit. hope that is not the case.

Archived