IGNORED

Websters a good un

barneyrubble

Looks like we have found a long term and decent centre half . Seems to be growing in stature each game and taking more responsibility. 

Hes a big lad who can play out and has physicality too. Fingers crossed stays injury free as will only get better. Good business too young and improved and will be worth more than we paid already.

3 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Looks like we have found a long term and decent centre half . Seems to be growing in stature each game and taking more responsibility. 

Hes a big lad who can play out and has physicality too. Fingers crossed stays injury free as will only get better. Good business too young and improved and will be worth more than we paid already.

The big proviso was his fitness. I believe that without that question mark against him  we wouldn't have got him .

My first proper viewing of him was v Boro (saw first two games on tv) and I was worried that we’d bought a CB who didn’t like heading it.  Thought he was a bit casual with his touch too, but could pass.  I said at the time I'd watch him carefully before forming a full opinion. 13 games in now, and my worries have gone.

QPR alongside Pisano, he did the defensive stuff well, albeit his passing was a bit off.  Since then, he has done all I expected from a ball-playing CB.  There is no need to compare with Flint, they are different.  He isn’t gonna dominate aerially, but he is gonna start our attacks.

I actually thought (over the games they played together) he played better than Kalas, despite rave reviews for the Czech.

A promising start to his City career.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My first proper viewing of him was v Boro (saw first two games on tv) and I was worried that we’d bought a CB who didn’t like heading it.  Thought he was a bit casual with his touch too, but could pass.  I said at the time I'd watch him carefully before forming a full opinion. 13 games in now, and my worries have gone.

QPR alongside Pisano, he did the defensive stuff well, albeit his passing was a bit off.  Since then, he has done all I expected from a ball-playing CB.  There is no need to compare with Flint, they are different.  He isn’t gonna dominate aerially, but he is gonna start our attacks.

I actually thought (over the games they played together) he played better than Kalas, despite rave reviews for the Czech.

I like him Dave and agree with what you said, his passing seems to vary though. Against Wigan I felt half of our problems came from him playing those weird little 'dinked' passes that bypass midfield but are really difficult for the strikers to control and keep possession.

Much better are his threaded passes of about 20 metres foe the striker to come short for.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I like him Dave and agree with what you said, his passing seems to vary though. Against Wigan I felt half of our problems came from him playing those weird little 'dinked' passes that bypass midfield but are really difficult for the strikers to control and keep possession.

Much better are his threaded passes of about 20 metres foe the striker to come short for.

Everyone was shit against Wigan...but good point re his passing that night.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly how I see it. I actually think he could be one of the better aerially in the division. I have no numbers to back it up but after seeing Flint for 5 years think most will think AW isn’t the most physical whereas I think he might be one of the better physical CBs in the league but also can play with the ball at his feet. Stays fit he has premier league written all over him at the level he is playing at

I too have been impressed with Adam. He doesn't win every header like Flinty and is unlikely to score the number of goals Flinty did.  But equally he hasn't (yet, fingers crossed) had the occasional moment of madness that would sometimes blot big Aden's copy book.

But let's not compare apples with oranges. They are different sorts of CBs. 

And one thing I'd say is I'm always happy to see Adam's name on the team sheet. He has rarely given a poor performance IMO.

51 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Exactly how I see it. I actually think he could be one of the better aerially in the division. I have no numbers to back it up but after seeing Flint for 5 years think most will think AW isn’t the most physical whereas I think he might be one of the better physical CBs in the league but also can play with the ball at his feet. Stays fit he has premier league written all over him at the level he is playing at

Clever sides aimed longer balls away from Flint too.

My lad a City fan, lives near Ipswich.  He was rated but apparently had a dodgy injury record ?  Not sure how much truth is in this but certainly a better 'footballer' than Flint and he brings quality to the team and back line for sure. 

Without going off topic Baker was immense for us when here on loan and perhaps since his return he has been plagued by continuous knocks.   Perhaps this is just bad luck, but lets hope Webster has a good run injury free.    At least we have two really good centre backs also to return from long term injuries imminently and things will look even better re a backline that should on paper be on a par with most in this league ?

8 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

My lad a City fan, lives near Ipswich.  He was rated but apparently had a dodgy injury record ?  Not sure how much truth is in this but certainly a better 'footballer' than Flint and he brings quality to the team and back line for sure. 

Without going off topic Baker was immense for us when here on loan and perhaps since his return he has been plagued by continuous knocks.   Perhaps this is just bad luck, but lets hope Webster has a good run injury free.    At least we have two really good centre backs also to return from long term injuries imminently and things will look even better re a backline that should on paper be on a par with most in this league ?

I believe it was reported up to £2m extra to the transfer fee if he plays an extra x amount of games.

Likely was put in because of those injury concerns.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I believe it was reported up to £2m extra to the transfer fee if he plays an extra x amount of games.

Likely was put in because of those injury concerns.

Some rumours that fee was £3.5m rising to £8.0m....expect a chunk of that being promotion though.

Promising signs so far. The stats show we have conceded the same - 14 in 13 games - as this stage last season but if they can maintain this for longer than last season, ie into the New Year, and not have omnishambles afternoons like Villa, Sunderland and Hull then we might be looking at a firmer "base" upon which to do the attacking stuff.

On 21/10/2018 at 15:36, DT The Optimist said:

The difference between Flint and Baker is that if Saturday's incident had happened to Flint he would have played on .

You'd need to take Flinty's head clean off to stop him . Even then he'd probably still play on .

Baker worries me . He just seems to get injured too often or booked.

I am not convinced by him yet . I don't see a player 100% committed to the City cause. 

May be I'm wrong .

:dunno:

On 21/10/2018 at 14:48, Davefevs said:

expect a chunk of that being promotion though.

I think we're safe on that score :noexp:

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Baker worries me . He just seems to get injured too often or booked.

I am not convinced by him yet . I don't see a player 100% committed to the City cause. 

I thought he was our best defender right through most of our good run at the start of last year, that said even in the first game of the season he didn't even look as if he wanted the ball Good player when he want's to be, or is in the right frame of mind maybe.

Archived