IGNORED

The Johnson's At Odds With Each Other

handsofclay

I was watching the Frank Lampard's Derby v Sheffield Utd game last night when Sky flashed up the following statistic to dishearten Blades fans: Goals Conceded In The Last 15 Minutes OF Games This Season  .... FL's Derby County 0...Bristol City 0.

I think another team was in the stats as having conceded 0 as well but I was so gobsmacked about us appearing that I instantly forgot who they were.

This is totally at odds with the stats of Mr Johnson senior whose pretty successful tenure at our club was synonymous with conceding goals in the last 15 minutes....the last 15 seconds, even! Jeez, even if we fought back to level the scores, or take the lead ourselves deep into injury time, if there was just enough time left to punt the ball down field from the kick-off and an opposition player get a head or foot to it to steer it home they invariably did.

So, it is an amazing stat that Johnson Junior's team hasn't conceded a goal in the last 15 minutes of a game this season. Cue a spate of late goals conceded from here on in and me having to do penance for opening my big trap!

I feel like in 2008 at least we were often the ones scoring a jammy late winner personally. I also feel like for periods we've often conceded late under Lee. I'm surprised if we haven't this season, but I suspect in general it's down to belief from the players who will keep going to the end 100% for the win, compared to taking their foot off the gas.

In 2008 if we were one nil down with ten to go it felt like the crowd always believed we'd get a draw, if not a win! I can still remember Brooker coming on to head one in against Norwich in the last minute in front of the East end to put us top... Great times!

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

We've scored 5 in the last 10 minutes of games and conceded 0 which I found surprising.

Derby and Leeds also yet to conceded in the last 10 minutes.

https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england2&tid=j

Even better, we haven't conceded a goal in the last 20 minutes of any game this season!

11 minutes ago, Offside said:

From what I remember the habit of conceding late goals came in the latter part of GJ's reign. It didn't seem to be an issue in the play-off season or before.

Quite right, that was really what I was referring to. There were a couple of seasons where had the table been based on the score after 80 or even 85 minutes I'm sure City would've finished top instead of mid-table, whereas in the play off Final season we would've finished mid-table instead of 4th.

The latest goal City have conceded so far this season was in the 66th minute v Sheffield Wednesday.

Amazing stat. Completely took me by surprise. 

However we do look fit and yesterday being an example we did   Press toward the end. Obviously the fitness and diet regime has worked out so far and we are concentrating. 

We looked assured with Kelly and Webster at CB as well. 

Dasilva was good and Hunt did good things despite knowing a cock up is never far away

Archived