IGNORED

ollie Watkins V. FD !

DT The Optimist

Was not at game yesterday but Watkins was a player we were linked with (and a player I was hoping we would get from Exeter) . 

He was the same sort of fee as Fammy,  but yesterday according to locals on the net, it was not one of his better games.  Saw on high lights he hit a post and should have done better with another in the first half,  any thoughts re him as it looks we contained him well. 

Would you swap FD for Watkins  in a hypothetical world !

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

City need a creative midfielder, not another striker.

No. Bristol City need another striker. Filling the squad with players that have a mindset of wanting to improve, wanting to play for the club, wanting to put in the yards …

FD is looking less and less like that type of player. He is energy less, his body language .. Indifferent and languid.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You keep wanging on about Bannan....he signed a new three year contract at Sheff Wed a couple of months ago - if Fammy is worth over £5m we’d have to shell out well over three times that for Bannan - but, as you’ve said a zillion times, that doesn’t fit with SL’s strategy....

I use Bannan as an example of the type of player City could use.

Most of us agree that on that particular issue.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Well you continually say ‘Bannan’ not ‘someone who plays like Bannan.’ So who do you suggest? Who could we get who plays like Bannan, but isn’t Bannan and who fits into the fabled Strategy you mention so much? 

But I agree that Bannan is a class player - if I had any influence at our club I’d have spent a large proportion of the dosh we got for Mags, Bobby, Flint and Joe on getting him in....but what do I know...

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well you continually say ‘Bannan’ not ‘someone who plays like Bannan.’ So who do you suggest? Who could we get who plays like Bannan, but isn’t Bannan and who fits into the fabled Strategy you mention so much? 

But I agree that Bannan is a class player - if I had any influence at our club I’d have spent a large proportion of the dosh we got for Mags, Bobby, Flint and Joe on getting him in....but what do I know...

I’m not a scout as BobbobSuperBob is/was..............:sleeping:

I completely agree with the second paragraph tho but obviously LJ saw strengthening the defence as a more of a priority than the midfield. 

The loss of Korey Smith to injury has really highlighted just how thin City are in that area. That said it was refreshing to see Walsh get around 20mins yesterday.

Watkins and Fam completely different players and Fam cost 2-3 times more as a central striker whereas Watkins is more of a wide forward. Fam devoid of confidence atm. Watkins wasn’t great yesterday. 

Walsh imo can be our Bannan. I am sure of it. The more he plays the more I think he grows into a larger role. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m probably the only one who isn’t convinced he’d be a good fit, especially on LJ’s insistence on 442.  If we were to play a 3, then maybe, but I think he’d want everything to go through him, and I don’t think we have the right players to revolve a whole system around him.

LJ likes him though (he’s taller than BB!!)

Opinions, eh!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m probably the only one who isn’t convinced he’d be a good fit, especially on LJ’s insistence on 442.  If we were to play a 3, then maybe, but I think he’d want everything to go through him, and I don’t think we have the right players to revolve a whole system around him.

Opinions, eh!

I’m not saying that LJ should try to sign Bannan but someone similar to that type of player - a creative midfielder which City don’t currently have, unless Walsh is ready to step up.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m not a scout as BobbobSuperBob is/was..............:sleeping:

I completely agree with the second paragraph tho but obviously LJ saw strengthening the defence as a more of a priority than the midfield. 

The loss of Korey Smith to injury has really highlighted just how thin City are in that area. That said it was refreshing to see Walsh get around 20mins yesterday.

How can you agree with my second paragraph?! That was the one where I said if it was up to me I would have shelled out a seriously big bit of wedge to see if we could get Bannan....how can you agree with that when you’ve gone on and on about the amazing SL strategy - which doesn’t include deals like that....?!

4 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Sawyers....

Sawyers is ****ing shite, our fans rate him because he usually looks good against us and is a big black lad with dreadlocks so stands out but he’s rubbish. Bit like I said Ryan Kent was before his sign, looks a great player as he does lots of fancy flicks and is good on the ball but delivers absolutely nowt more often than not.

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not the question though, was it.

Watkins Vs Fam , the clue was in the title. Not saying you’re wrong, just nothing to do with the thread.

Why compare a winger and a striker? That’s like asking Peter Crouch or Antony Knockaert, two totally different players.

4 hours ago, pillred said:

reckon he'd be happy to come here as well.

Watkins? He’s been linked with Spurs recently so I doubt Bristol City is his dream move.

1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

Barry Bannan and Ryan Woods in a midfield pairing would be nice 

It would until you came up against a side that have a midfielder that’s bigger than 5”7...

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How can you agree with my second paragraph?! That was the one where I said if it was up to me I would have shelled out a seriously big bit of wedge to see if we could get Bannan....how can you agree with that when you’ve gone on and on about the amazing SL strategy - which doesn’t include deals like that....?!

You, nor make any decisions whatsoever involving City but I agree that had you or I been involved we would have at least tried to persuade SL that Bannan or a similar type player would have been a very useful addition to the squad.

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

No. Bristol City need another striker. Filling the squad with players that have a mindset of wanting to improve, wanting to play for the club, wanting to put in the yards …

FD is looking less and less like that type of player. He is energy less, his body language .. Indifferent and languid.

Don’t know what FD is doing in training, but he keeps going deep and trying to be a footballer, he aint that and probably never will be, he can put in a good reflex shot  but he can’t play football, can’t hold the ball!

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

said Ryan Kent was before his sign, looks a great player as he does lots of fancy flicks and is good on the ball but delivers absolutely nowt more often than not.

Isn't Kent tearing up trees at Rangers? Does LJ know what to with class such as Kent and DaSilva?

2 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Watkins? He’s been linked with Spurs recently so I doubt Bristol City is his dream move.

It would until you came up against a side that have a midfielder that’s bigger than 5”7...

never said it was his dream move, just I'm sure he would have been quite happy to have come here.

8 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Watkins is a good player. Rather keep Fam. I said in another thread I would love to see Dalsgaard and Canos in our team. 

Would both be upgrades on what we have. 

Diedhoiu needs to toughen up and quickly, he has been generally poor and weak this season imo. Probably spending too much time with Paterson.

44 minutes ago, pillred said:

never said it was his dream move, just I'm sure he would have been quite happy to have come here.

Would have? Apologies then I thought you meant now.

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

Isn't Kent tearing up trees at Rangers? Does LJ know what to with class such as Kent and DaSilva?

Yeah because the SPL is **** mate.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Walsh imo can be our Bannan. I am sure of it. The more he plays the more I think he grows into a larger role. 

I wish Walsh was growing. And if not growing, he certainly needs to beef up and get some strength on the ball.

3 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Barry Bannan and Ryan Woods in a midfield pairing would be nice 

3 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Which is exactly the problem that Walsh has when coming up against some like Pack, who is over 6 inches taller and a lot more physical.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You are not alone Dave. Walsh needs to be at the front of a midfield 3, with little requirement to tackle. Like a more withdrawn Paterson role from last season. And we are not set up to play that way. It was also exactly the same problem that we had with Bobby Reid, until LJ pushed him forward.

For Walsh to play we would need to play a 4-2-3-1 formation, or something similar, with just 1 player up front. Given our strikers' form seems to have deserted them, with perhaps only Matty Taylor currently exceeding his extremely low goal-scoring expectations, that does not seem a great option.

Archived