IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Cider red

Haven't seen it mentioned; thought he played really well when he came on yesterday; kept the ball well and took a decent freekick; all be it against ten. Hopefully he will be given more game time either as a rotation for the other cms; or in a three which I would play as our preferred formation. I'd like us to give this a go vs hull; you could rotate weiman and the other wingers depending on fitness etc. I think it would give us a better hold on games; as the 4 4 2 does make us susceptible to being over run.

LINEUP111540132118223.png

25 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Feels like most people who post on the formation would like to see us line up with 3 in midfield. 

LJ seems to prefer playing with wingers and one striker dropping into midfield when necessary.

Agree with your suggestion but with DBB's amendment.

It`s a dilemma really. I would personally go for three in midfield after seeing how we`ve been overrun at times recently. It`s not been helped by Marlon being so out of form I`ll grant (and those who went yesterday seem to be saying he was back to something approaching his best again so hopefully that`s behind him now) but we do need to tighten up in there and if that means sacrificing a wide player then so be it.

Note LJ said yesterday Liam's been getting a bit frustrated. Usually means the manager understands why and has sympathy.

I think we'll gradually see more and more of him, and I think it will be fair to give the kid a go.

Appears to have a bit of a shot on him, and wouldn't be surprised to see him get a goal or two, given the chance to play

I saw it suggested by someone that you could play the following front 6, which I quite liked (R-L):

Brownhill | Walsh | Pack | Eliasson

Taylor | Weimann

I’m a bit torn about changing the team for changing’s sake, and although critical of Paterson on Saturday, I do believe in ‘keeping a winning team”.  However that principle needs backing up when you lose, so a double edged sword.

Who knows, maybe Pato is on edge because he’s waiting for the top, and not playing his own game as a result?

What I will say is that even if Baker is fit, I would go with the back four that ended the game.

7 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Like the look of Walsh , tidy on the ball.   Uses it well 

I agree. And if he does lose it he will immediately look to get it back himself. I think he needs a run of games to build up some understanding. He looks to have the intelligence to work well with like minded team mates

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Someone on another thread said they thought Walsh played with his head-up...that was one of the things I noticed too.

19 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

From what little I saw, I liked the look of Walsh. Seemed to play with his head up and look to play forward. The way he's been held back I was surprised to see him at all.

:cool2:

Just from the highlights it seems that Walsh's first thought is forward. Now that may seem silly but the easy option is usually sideways, Pack can and does play forward but Walsh's instinct looks like he wants to get attacks going . I'm not saying he looks for the killer ball every time, but he seems to be looking for the ball to hurt the opposition.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I saw it suggested by someone that you could play the following front 6, which I quite liked (R-L):

Brownhill | Walsh | Pack | Eliasson

Taylor | Weimann

I'd like to see COD given a chance in that formation , instead of Taylor. Interesting lineup though.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

:cool2:

Just from the highlights it seems that Walsh's first thought is forward. Now that may seem silly but the easy option is usually sideways, Pack can and does play forward but Walsh's instinct looks like he wants to get attacks going . I'm not saying he looks for the killer ball every time, but he seems to be looking for the ball to hurt the opposition.

I'd like to see COD given a chance in that formation , instead of Taylor. Interesting lineup though.

I like Walsh, what I like most about him is he keeps the ball, the most important thing in football. I also like players who are very happy to play the ball sideways and backwards, as long as we keep the ball.

After all, the only way a team gets more bodies forwards and into attacking areas is to play the ball sideways and backwards, allowing other players to get forward whilst this is going on in other areas of the pitch. 

looks to have put a bit of of muscle on over the summer to.

I'd play a 4-3-3 variant.

Keeper 

Hunt    Webster      Kelly       Da- Silva

Def(Brownhill)    Pack         (Walsh)Def

Brownhill      Walsh

(Elliason)              (Weimann)

(Fammy)  

Forwards- all interchangeable in possession, pressing high without possession, midfield to drop back into cover defence without possession and to carry ball out with possession, use Elliasons pace to break as alternative. Walsh to drop back into cover DaSilva when breaking from the left, Option to switch play through centre, right wing or into player at false 10 Position.

Very hard for defence to mark a forward with the front 3 being interchangeable in possession and with the 3 changing formation e.g 1 dropping wide, or 1 dropping into a false 10 etc.

No Patterson as he can't be arsed to cover space or man.

50 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Keeper 

Brownhill      Walsh

(Fammy)  

Forwards- all interchangeable in possession, pressing high without possession, midfield to drop back into cover defence without possession and to carry ball out with possession, use Elliasons pace to break as alternative. Walsh to drop back into cover DaSilva when breaking from the left, Option to switch play through centre, right wing or into player at false 10 Position.

Very hard for defence to mark a forward with the front 3 being interchangeable in possession and with the 3 changing formation e.g 1 dropping wide, or 1 dropping into a false 10 etc.

Famara lacks the ability to do this. In regards to pressing he is a liability as he lacks the athleticism to press adequately meaning he is easily bypassed. If  the idea of your press works in a unit it has to have players of similar intensity, mobility and  athleticism.

I would question if Famara has the skill set to interchange fluidly.

On 22/10/2018 at 09:12, Cowshed said:

Famara lacks the ability to do this. In regards to pressing he is a liability as he lacks the athleticism to press adequately meaning he is easily bypassed. If  the idea of your press works in a unit it has to have players of similar intensity, mobility and  athleticism.

I would question if Famara has the skill set to interchange fluidly.

Fammy only has to concentrate on getting in good positions to score, the other 2 interchange with the extra midfielder accommodating the space n which to press. 

Walsh got in some good positions Saturday, granted against 10 men, but with Fammy staying fairly deep, he would occupy a defender or two and the vital extra space.

On 22/10/2018 at 08:24, YorkshireSection said:

Keeper 

Brownhill      Walsh

(Fammy)  

That's an interesting side- though I'd query whether Diedhiou is of the skillset to press in the right way, or drop off.

He has his uses, but that's not one IMO- now swap Taylor for Diedhiou in that shape and it can get very fluid indeed IMO as Weimann can play across the front line or a bit off it.

Still can't get my head around what people see in this guy (in terms of them thinking he's the answer to our problems). He took a good FK shot and that was about the only spark I saw. He had less than 60% passing success rate and made no long balls. I imagine he's potentially missing some match fitness? 

Admittedly I didn't see him play very much last season so there's definitely more to him that others have witnessed 

Or am I just getting this all wrong and people just want us to pad out the midfield? 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Admittedly I didn't see him play very much last season so there's definitely more to him that others have witnessed 

Or am I just getting this all wrong and people just want us to pad out the midfield? 

Pretty much every City fan can see that the midfield cover is pretty thin, particularly with KS getting injured and should Pack or Brownhill get injured/suspended the cupboard is nearly bare. 

Walsh is the only realistic option and it’s only LJ and the coaches who know just how ready he is. The mins he got at Griffin Park didn’t tell us fans much.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Pretty much every City fan can see that the midfield cover is pretty thin, particularly with KS getting injured and should Pack or Brownhill get injured/suspended the cupboard is nearly bare. 

Walsh is the only realistic option and it’s only LJ and the coaches who know just how ready he is. The mins he got at Griffin Park didn’t tell us fans much.

I would like to see quality in midfield not quantity, to add numbers would potentially expose other parts on the field. I think this is what LJ believes too  

11 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Still can't get my head around what people see in this guy (in terms of them thinking he's the answer to our problems). He took a good FK shot and that was about the only spark I saw. He had less than 60% passing success rate and made no long balls. I imagine he's potentially missing some match fitness? 

Most of us don't really know what Walsh is made of but he arrived highly recommended as a creative player, Captain of the successful Everton u.23's, and he's had plenty of time now to settle in to the club and take in exactly what LJ requires of him in a City shirt.

Not really fair to draw any conclusions from 20 minutes at Brentford, it's never easy to make a good impression when time is so short, and it always takes a while as a sub. to get into the tempo of the game etc. Considering all that he made a fairly good impression I thought.

When Walsh does get a start we'll need to be supportive and patient with him and reserve any judgement until he's had at least a couple of games to get up to pace in this league.

With his background my thoughts are there's no reason why he shouldn't thrive with a run in the team.

Archived