IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Cider red

13 minutes ago, Glarster Red said:

Similar player to Johnson himself, but never seen a player bottle an ocasion so much as he did last year vs Man city which after that hardly got any game time,He still trying to win faith back from LJ imo.

Walsh is known for his creativity.

Captain of Everton u.23's. - so a leader - and also a fiery individual, and Everton fans were sorry too see him go with many believing he could make it in the PL at Goodison.

He's quite short and plays in midfield, but the similarities with LJ end there afaic.

Walsh is more aggressive, more skilful and has far, far more potential.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Most of us don't really know what Walsh is made of but he arrived highly recommended as a creative player, Captain of the successful Everton u.23's, and he's had plenty of time now to settle in to the club and take in exactly what LJ requires of him in a City shirt.

Not really fair to draw any conclusions from 20 minutes at Brentford, it's never easy to make a good impression when time is so short, and it always takes a while as a sub. to get into the tempo of the game etc. Considering all that he made a fairly good impression I thought.

When Walsh does get a start we'll need to be supportive and patient with him and reserve any judgement until he's had at least a couple of games to get up to pace in this league.

With his background my thoughts are there's no reason why he shouldn't thrive with a run in the team.

I get that, he’s got the potential to be good yes. But is he answer to our current midfield problems (which was my point)? People say he’s the only viable option, but that doesn’t mean he’s the right option. 

It’s interesting how football works through different eyes! I didn’t think he made such a good impression, more of a decent one but nothing special.

inb4 anyone posts the cliche “wtf do you expect” ?

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

I get that, he’s got the potential to be good yes. But is he answer to our current midfield problems (which was my point)? People say he’s the only viable option, but that doesn’t mean he’s the right option. 

It’s interesting how football works through different eyes! I didn’t think he made such a good impression, more of a decent one but nothing special.

Most of us, if not all of us are quite aware of City’s midfield ‘problems’. Personally call the situation ‘thin’ rather than problematic but obviously LJ doesn’t see it as that at all.

He’s used Pato to bolster the midfield which has left some of us baffled to say the least and has only recently begun to use Walsh.

The versatile Hegeler is very close to being available, if he isn’t already so if anyone asked LJ  about the depth of midfield he’d point that out.

out 

59 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I get that, he’s got the potential to be good yes. But is he answer to our current midfield problems (which was my point)?

I suppose we need to understand what our ‘current midfield problems’ are?  At the mo’ you could argue that as long as Pack and Brownhill stay fit, and suspension free, there isn’t a problem.  They are the best two according to LJ.  However I get what you mean, because it’s unlikely both will be able to play 90 minutes every game until January and / or Korey returns.  

People say he’s the only viable option, but that doesn’t mean he’s the right option. 

I think there are other options than Walsh, e.g. Hegeler.  Morrell too, although behind Walsh in the pecking order!  You could play a 3 to ease the burden of workload.  Someone like O’Dowda might come into the reckoning then,

Re Hegeler, I could see him playing if Pack was out, but not Brownhill.  I’ve long said that I think Jens could play in a three, but when I hear LJ talk about Marlon staying in the ‘cage’ and not getting exposed by being caught outside of the cage where he doesn’t have the pace to recover his position, I start to think why couldn’t Hegeler play there.  He has a great touch, can pass, isn’t slow (elegant runner is deceiving), two footed, good in the air for a CM (not as a ball-winning CH), intelligent.  If you’re not expecting him to play box-to-box, then he has attributes that fit the role.

The other angle is what messages LJ has given Marlon and Josh.  You could inagine at the start of the season, Marlon, given the captaincy was first choice.  Not to say he’ll play every game, but more than perming 2 from 3 equally.  That left Josh and Korey to fight out the other position to improve their minutes above 2/3rds.  You could imsgine all 3 accepting missing game time through subtle rotation. With Korey’s injury, you could argue that Josh and Marlon were in total possession of the shirt, and wouldn’t accept being rotated for Walsh (not in the original perm of 3), so LJ continues to pick them.  That leaves him in a difficult position, and comes down to his man-management skills.  

If I was Walsh, I would be ‘cheesed’ off that despite being great in training I don’t get on the pitch (Saturday excluded), yet another great in training player (Paterson) gets to start.  It’s mixed selection principles that causes issues.

Of course I’ve no idea whether this is true with City or the players above, but it’s the kind of thing I've seen in plenty of dressing rooms.  It doesn’t mean ‘lost the dressing room’, just means it’s not as harmonious as you’d like.

That’s just words.  Sometimes I use the word ‘decent’ to mean good!!!  I certainly use decent to mean a ‘smidge’ better than average.  Bang-average is worse than average in my Thesaurus ?

Good posts from @Nogbad the Bad first of all.  See above.

4 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Fammy only has to concentrate on getting in good positions to score, the other 2 interchange with the extra midfielder accommodating the space n which to press. 

Walsh got in some good positions Saturday, granted against 10 men, but with Fammy staying fairly deep, he would occupy a defender or two and the vital extra space.

That does not explained how the team would press high with Famara in it, or how he would interchange positions fluidly.  

Archived