IGNORED

Flint and Bryan

Alan Dicks

When we lose with comedy defending (WBA / Sheffield Wednesday) people claim Flint wouldn’t have let them score goals like that. 

Not sure where these opinions were last season when we had absolute car crash results like the Hull 5-5 or any other capitulation / terrible defeat. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I miss Joe’s attacking threat.

I miss Aden’s attacking threat.

I think we recruited decently in the summer, and I've been pretty critical of our recruitment generally.  I accept not every player will work out.

I reckon City are defensively stronger without both of them. The win at away at the Jacks and the Bees highlight that perfectly.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I reckon City are defensively stronger without both of them. The win at away at the Jacks and the Bees highlight that perfectly.

I’m not as dismissive about their defensive abilities as some (not you per se RR), but I think we set up differently without them.  I liked both of them, but also happy with Webster....and also Lloyd’s emergence.  Knew he had the ability, but showing it consistently in the Champ is not easy.  I’m still not raving about his performances, but I am enjoying them.  I’m hard to please at times!!

I miss Flint’s passion and Joe’s calmness, although Webster is beginning to show how he is prepared to go in where it hurts and fight for the cause. As mentioned we miss Flint’s aerial dominance and goal threat, but we are less predictable now without him to aim at. Also it’s very unusual for a defender to chip in with so many goals as we know, so we haven’t replaced like with like, but I’m very happy with Webster/Kalas and Lloyd Kelly.

Just now, Chairman Mao said:

We are missing Reid more than either of them. Not surprise as Bobby was our best player by some margin last season. 

Great minds. I’d actually just decided to edit my post and add that out of all of them Reid has been the biggest miss, only to find you making the exact same point!

We are a more boring team without them. 

No one goes to football to watch a Kallas or Webster ... I mean they do a job but pretty dull. 

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Webster will go much further in the game than Flint and they say Kelly'll go further than Bryan.

So no not missing them

Really mate ... ?? 

25 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We are a more boring team without them. 

No one goes to football to watch a Kallas or Webster ... I mean they do a job but pretty dull. 

Really mate ... ?? 

More boring I'll give you that tbh Lauro but yeah I reckon Webster will be better than Flint.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Are we missing them?

Personally i think we're just fine without them, like to hear others views on the subject.

Yes.

In the case of Bryan the teams passing is more laboured, and less cohesive. Bryan added tactical flexibility because of his unusually high technical level.  

In the case of Flint most teams would miss that level of goal scoring ability. Bristol City with Flint in the team exceeded norms for goal scoring from corners. 

29 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

We are missing Reid more than either of them. No surprise as Bobby was our best player by some margin last season. 

But are we? I loved Bobby's commitment and performances and while I think Pato is definitely weaker without Bobby's passing and movement, I'm not sure the team misses him as much as Bryan / Flint. Weinman is arguably an upgrade on Bobby.

Also Flint is showing at Boro what a top defender he is, when he has a decent midfield in front and full backs at the side. They have conceded just 7 goals this year - second place have conceded 15!

It's a good question. 

And I have two answers: yes. And no.

I am not missing them as much as when the season began and that is testament to the new recruits and Lloyd and their efforts thus far. But the new lads have some way to go before they lay down some memories to match those left behind by Flint and Bryan: 

The promotion season, winning a league, Flint's 15 goals, his "no no no," and Joe's goal v Swindon. And Flint scoring more crucial goals, Wigan away, Cardiff at home, amongst others. And Joe's goal v Rovers, and v Palace, and probably the greatest goal I have seen scored at AG by us, v Man Utd. By a Bristol boy, too.

So, practically: not missing them terribly (although the sight of Nathan Baker and well, yes frankly. Flint every time) but emotionally: yes, still missing them, those two provided more than a few moments of pleasure, which is all we're probably ever going to get with City at this level, or above.

45 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I do . 

I loved the mischievous Mr Hunt yesterday.

I wonder whether that might be a breakthrough game for him in terms of endearing himself to the fans.  He’s got an edge, and I do think his partnership with Watkins was a bit nastier than without. 

If we'd have played Joe in midfield then we'd really be missing his goalbthrest and athleticism, but we didn't and he was a bit of a liability at times with the ball being played over his shoulder etc.

We miss Flints ability from set pieces, not just because he scored goals but his passion and willing to put his body on the line for the cause, you don't really get that with fanny fart Baker!

Archived