IGNORED

Flint and Bryan

Alan Dicks

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder whether that might be a breakthrough game for him in terms of endearing himself to the fans.  He’s got an edge, and I do think his partnership with Watkins was a bit nastier than without. 

I don't want the nasty type of player at City who will be the first to leave a boot in. We all know them, like a Joey Barton or a Robbie Savage.

But Jack Hunt seems to be one who will stand up for himself and the team if the other side are the initiators of the dark arts as Brentford appear to have been on Saturday.

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Flint, Bryan and Reid are gone but not forgotten.

Are the replacements better or worse?

Neither, just different.

That's the way it is in real life and any team sport. The king is dead. Long live the king. To look back is nostalgia but only the sad, never look to the future.

Webster is far better in possession than Flint. Kelly is not of the same standard in possession as Bryan. 

It depends what the intent is of each decision.

Missing their goals, don't think that there is a center back who gets more goals in the Championship than Flint and Joe was always good for at least one shot a game which were usually on target and quite often went in.

We don't seem to have enough goals in the team at the moment which has to be addressed soon or we may struggle   

10 minutes ago, foghornred said:

Missing their goals, don't think that there is a center back who gets more goals in the Championship than Flint and Joe was always good for at least one shot a game which were usually on target and quite often went in.

We don't seem to have enough goals in the team at the moment which has to be addressed soon or we may struggle   

We've scored more goals than top of the table Middlesborough.

Last season we conceded more gaols than all the teams above us. This season only 2 of the top 10 have conceded less than us.

It wasn't scoring goals that was our problem last season, it was conceding too many. For all of Flint's undoubted attributes, and the goals he chipped in with, I think we are stronger defensively this season without him, even though that will be perverse in many fans' eyes. As has been commented on another thread, we have not conceded a single goal in the last 15 minutes of any game this season, whereas in the last couple of seasons we often conceded 2 goal leads and lost games at the death.

29 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Last season we conceded more gaols than all the teams above us. This season only 2 of the top 10 have conceded less than us.

It wasn't scoring goals that was our problem last season, it was conceding too many. For all of Flint's undoubted attributes, and the goals he chipped in with, I think we are stronger defensively this season without him, even though that will be perverse in many fans' eyes. As has been commented on another thread, we have not conceded a single goal in the last 15 minutes of any game this season, whereas in the last couple of seasons we often conceded 2 goal leads and lost games at the death.

Bristol City conceded goals last season as part of the nature of the open way the team performed, and its less than cohesive shape out of possession. It was no real fault of Aden Flint who did his job adeptly. 

At Middlesbrough the reaction to Flint is that he is superb defensively and has improved them. This is not unsurprising in a team that is defensively minded.

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Two very different seasons, different opposition so that particular stat holds zero relevance.

It's arguably a weaker division this year. 

Statistically it holds every relevance as we have conceded the same amount as this time last year-looking at it logically things are the same as before. 

4 minutes ago, Icelandic Clap said:

It's arguably a weaker division this year. 

Statistically it holds every relevance as we have conceded the same amount as this time last year-looking at it logically things are the same as before. 

There are three newly promoted clubs and three relegated clubs that are different from last season so it ridiculous to say that the Championship is ‘arguably’ weaker.

Its not either weaker or stronger - it’s different every season as all leagues are. City would have had to play the same opposition as last season at the same venue  for the comparison to have any relevance.

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

Last season after 13 games, we had conceded 14 goals.

This season after 13 games, we have conceded 14 goals.

Interesting thing is I would say that this time next year, we'll be gearing up for fixtures against Bobby and Joe. Can't see Cardiff or Fulham staying up unless they both drastically change their way of playing and invest in January, and given they've just been signed for fairly big fees, I can't see them going anywhere next summer.

Boro on the other hand look a tour de force, and I'm pretty glad I got on them at 10/1 at the beginning of the season to win the league. Flinty will be a PL player next season I think.

On 21/10/2018 at 18:29, Alan Dicks said:

Are we missing them?

Yes.

Goals - Flint would have notched a couple for us by now, irrespective of what he has or hasn't scored for Middlesbrough, and that would have added a few points, plus he'd have hoofed a couple of goals clear like one of Midd's goals/not got caught like Bakes v Weds. that's a couple of extra points in the bag. Bryan is less quantifiable. Personally I think we miss his attacking threat and he'd have whipped in a couple of decent balls by now that no-one else has managed (like the one he did at Wembley v Spuzz). it's Reid we are missing most and I say that as someone who was never a fan of his until August 2017.

In the end, though, it's irrelevant. We are midtable from top to bottom (odd choice of phrase). "We go on..."

Archived