IGNORED

your best eleven City players in last 35 years

Never to the dark side

Made me laugh when he went through a list of about 10 GKs, Welch, Leaning, Waugh, Sinclair etc. without a single mention of our "trophy" signing David James.  There was also some banter about doing a similar poll for the worst team, Twentyman decided he might find it difficult getting the players live on the phone during the show!  

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Martin Scott, Darren Bernard & Mickey Bell for the left backs and i’m afraid i’m only up to 97 on the midfielders, i’ll come back to you ? 

Quite some choice for left back.

Personally, it'd be either Terry Cooper or Jim Brennan

4 hours ago, mozo said:

I seriously don't get the love for Hartley. He played 42 times in one average season for us. Eliott did much more in his one superhuman season plus was promoted with us too. 

I also feel Noble is given too much love considering he underperformed most of his time with us compared with his natural talent. I prefer Tommy Doc for his years of effort, albeit with a gag in his mouth.

But Newman best of the lot. 

Our problem was it was the players surrounding Hartley he was 2 steps ahead of anyone around him, he’d play a through ball which ended up looking shite as the players around him weren’t on the same wavelength and instead of making a run they just stood and watched. Hartley was class just a shame we didn’t utilise him.

38 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Cashley

Gow   Collier   Merrick   Gow

Gow    Gow     Gow

Gow    Cheesley    Gow

Sub:    Gow

That's actually a better line up than the team I posted.........maybe Gerry Gow in goal would improve it ? 

He's here he's there he's every ******* where Gerry Gow Gerry Gow

RIP Gerry

1 hour ago, tin said:

I’d be happy watching this XI week in, week out:                   

9374C8D2-683B-4036-A16D-04820E056AE7.jpeg

Mike Bassett could pick a better balanced side! :)

3 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Made me laugh when he went through a list of about 10 GKs, Welch, Leaning, Waugh, Sinclair etc. without a single mention of our "trophy" signing David James.  There was also some banter about doing a similar poll for the worst team, Twentyman decided he might find it difficult getting the players live on the phone during the show!  

Scored one of the 'greatest' own goals in living memory v Watford at home! That was worth the £1M pa on it's own :tv_horror:

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

That's actually a better line up than the team I posted.........maybe Gerry Gow in goal would improve it ? 

He's here he's there he's every ******* where Gerry Gow Gerry How

RIP Gerry

Gerry Gow is my all time favourite City player - how we could do with his like in this current squad.

Given our lack of historical success, surely the question is (almost) 'who, for a title winning team that also lifted the lower league cup giving us our best season in donkeys DOESN'T make the line up'.

Read like that, the final result looks even more surprising. Granted, people are selecting individuals rather than a blended 11, but all the same, surprised there isn't more acknowledgement of that particular side.

12 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

He's here he's there he's every ******* where Gerry Gow Gerry Gow

RIP Gerry

I thought along the lines of "he's here, he's there, he's nearly everywhere"

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Gerry Gow is my all time favourite City player - how we could do with his like in this current squad.

Yes, what a character ....remember one game v Norwich I think - he came on as sub as City were about to defend a corner, he runs directly into the 6 yard box - looks to check the ref wasn't looking - and headbutts Phil Boyer smack in the face before the ball has even come into play.

He could play a bit as well.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He wasn’t a right back.

Correct. He wasn't

You said, "bar the right back, the other 10 were spot on" to which  my question was Alan Walsh? 

Maybe I should've asked; Have you left Alan Walsh out on purpose Alan?

2 minutes ago, arpaul said:

Correct. He wasn't

You said, "bar the right back, the other 10 were spot on" to which  my question was Alan Walsh? 

Maybe I should've asked; Have you left Alan Walsh out on purpose Alan?

Walsh would be on the bench, along with Mark Gavin.

15 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Mike Bassett could pick a better balanced side! :)

Scored one of the 'greatest' own goals in living memory v Watford at home! That was worth the £1M pa on it's own :tv_horror:

Actually he did us a favour by doing that as, IIRC, Del-Boy then dropped him for Dean Gerken, and we went on an 8 match unbeaten run, which may have started with a great DG display when we beat Forest 1-0 at their place - live on Sky with Louis Carey red head-bandaged interview after the game.  That run saw us stave off relegation relatively comfortably.   Thanks Jamo?

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Everyone seems to agree on Basso but what about Tom Heaton, he went onto become some keeper and even when he was here with Fontaine at his worst, he still looked good?

I don’t agree with Basso, made loads of mistakes

16 minutes ago, The Gambler said:

Of all the managers we have had in this time has Tony Pulis gone on to be the most successful?

Actually yes, without a doubt.  Most of our ex-managers have either immediately (Coppell) or gradually  (Wilson, Benny, Ward, Smith, Osman, Lumsden, GJ, SOD etc) had careers that have gone in the wrong direction .  Admittedly Millen had a considerable amount of success as an assistant at Palace, Joe Jordan became a bit of a journeyman coach, and Del-boy got back to his level in Scotland.  The only other manager I can think of that did well after leaving us was (and still is) Roy Hodgson,but he left in 1982 so outside of the 35 year time--frame.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely, i’m still in deep shock that some are using Tinnion in the same breath, i consider that an insult, i’m afraid that as players they were miles apart, in saying that no player comes close to Gow, miles ahead of any player we’ve had in the last 50 years as anyone from my generation will fully justify

Maybe not the best players ever in every position but all I can go on is my fave players in each position over the 30 years I’ve watched:

GK - Basso

LB - Barnard

CD - Flint

CD - Shaun Taylor

RB - Orr

LM- Adomah

CM - Tinnion

CM - Dziekanowski

RM - Murray

S - Bob Taylor

S - Andy Cole

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Maybe not the best players ever in every position but all I can go on is my fave players in each position over the 30 years I’ve watched:

GK - Basso

LB - Barnard

CD - Flint

CD - Shaun Taylor

RB - Orr

LM- Adomah

CM - Tinnion

CM - Dziekanowski

RM - Murray

S - Bob Taylor

S - Andy Cole

Apologies for the massive font!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

....and any of the squads over the last 20  years.

39 minutes ago, harrys said:

Absolutely, i’m still in deep shock that some are using Tinnion in the same breath, i consider that an insult, i’m afraid that as players they were miles apart, in saying that no player comes close to Gow, miles ahead of any player we’ve had in the last 50 years as anyone from my generation will fully justify

If Bobby Reid is a £10m player, what would Gerry Gow be worth today?

25 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

GK - Basso

LB - Barnard

CD - Flint

CD - Shaun Taylor

RB - Orr

LM- Adomah

CM - Tinnion

CM - Dziekanowski

RM - Murray

S - Bob Taylor

S - Andy Cole

Apologies for the massive font!

I should think so too

Agree with most of those

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Good grief, we actually agree on something! Gerry Gow - a true Bristol City legend, my fave ever Red....will always treasure the lunchtime I spent with him in a pub in Portland quaffing Stella and Jack....RIP fella....never forgotten....

Archived