IGNORED

Dumbest tv gameshows.... ?

WhistleHappy

TV gameshows that border on the embarrassing.... which ones cant you stand?  How the heck did they ever get to become a TV show, -they're THAT BAD? … cringeworthy or what..

I'll start with one that's on BBC2 right now....  'LETTERBOX' with Mel Giedroyc

WTF is this 'gameshow' doing on our national tv screens? it would be an insult to intelligence if it was dished up as a children's afternoon show. How the heck this game of 'hangman' minus the gallows, guess a letter make the word (with a clue of course, it'd obviously be far too difficult to crack without a clue!  doh!)  game has 'adult' contestant's with Mel building up fake tension in the most cringeworthy way possible ever got past the 'stupid suggestions for a gameshow' panel I'll never know...

Which ones drive you mad?    

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I had the flu the other day so led on the sofa all day and then this god awful piece of shite came on about contestants with briefcases but they didn't know what was in it and had to figure out what was in the other suitcases or some crap. It was rubbish.

They had 'rubbish' or 'some crap' in their cases?...   Why? 

:)  

15 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

TV gameshows that border on the embarrassing.... which ones cant you stand?  How the heck did they ever get to become a TV show, -they're THAT BAD? … cringeworthy or what..

I'll start with one that's on BBC2 right now....  'LETTERBOX' with Mel Giedroyc

WTF is this 'gameshow' doing on our national tv screens? it would be an insult to intelligence if it was dished up as a children's afternoon show. How the heck this game of 'hangman' minus the gallows, guess a letter make the word (with a clue of course, it'd obviously be far too difficult to crack without a clue!  doh!)  game has 'adult' contestant's with Mel building up fake tension in the most cringeworthy way possible ever got past the 'stupid suggestions for a gameshow' panel I'll never know...

Which ones drive you mad?    

How she gets a presenting gig at all I dont know...

Personally I hate tipping point. I just can't get my head around the fact that people want to watch giant counters being dropped into a machine. Then again Deal or No Deal was about people opening emptying boxes ?

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Personally I hate tipping point. I just can't get my head around the fact that people want to watch giant counters being dropped into a machine. Then again Deal or No Deal was about people opening emptying boxes ?

I got pissed off with Beardy Edmonds trying imply that there was some cunning strategy to be used, whereas it was all pure chance.

The one that has appeared in the evenings presented by the bloks from Mrs Brown which seems to be an excuse for lots of double entendres and nothing else is awful, the little I've seen of it.

That bloke seems to be all over the TV the last few years yet seems utterly devoid of any kind of comedy talent so far as I can see.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

My 18 month old nephew loves Tipping Point, which probably tells you everything. 

4 hours ago, Taz said:

Completely agree with these 2. Tipping Point is ridiculous, I always think about when the idea was pitched, and whether they wheeled one of those 2p Pushers into the room. Can't believe it actually got commissioned. The questions are way too easy as well.

I hate everything about Deal or No Deal, especially the awful terminology that Edmonds has applied to it, they've actually compiled a glossary here. Can't stand Edmonds.

I never liked Golden Balls either. The last part always really annoyed me, there would be an accumulated prize fund that had built up throughout the show, the last two contestants would each have to secretly pick 'Split' or 'Steal'. If both picked 'Steal' neither would win anything, if both picked 'Split' then the money would be shared, if one picked 'Steal' and the other 'Split' then the person choosing 'Steal' would win all the money. I always thought this was flawed because as a contestant choosing 'Steal' would give you a 50% chance of winning ALL the money, whereas choosing 'Split' would give you a 50% chance of winning HALF the money. So who in their right mind would ever pick 'Split'? 

Pointless is probably my favourite, and back in its early years before anyone won the jackpot Who Wants to be a Millionaire is the only quiz show I can think of that's ever had me on the edge of my seat. If someone got to the business end around £125,000 or £250,000 it was genuinely exciting. 

Something delightfully old-fashioned about Pointless offering successful contestants a top prize of £1,000. :clapping:

That said, I was monumentally dismayed when it was revealed that Richard Osman's laptop is never switched on - he has all the answers on the sheet of paper. :disapointed2se:

12 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Something delightfully old-fashioned about Pointless offering successful contestants a top prize of £1,000. :clapping:

That said, I was monumentally dismayed when it was revealed that Richard Osman's laptop is never switched on - he has all the answers on the sheet of paper. :disapointed2se:

:tv_horror:  ugh, what is the point in having a laptop there in the first place then?  

19 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Completely agree with these 2. Tipping Point is ridiculous, I always think about when the idea was pitched, and whether they wheeled one of those 2p Pushers into the room. Can't believe it actually got commissioned. The questions are way too easy as well.

I hate everything about Deal or No Deal, especially the awful terminology that Edmonds has applied to it, they've actually compiled a glossary here. Can't stand Edmonds.

I never liked Golden Balls either. The last part always really annoyed me, there would be an accumulated prize fund that had built up throughout the show, the last two contestants would each have to secretly pick 'Split' or 'Steal'. If both picked 'Steal' neither would win anything, if both picked 'Split' then the money would be shared, if one picked 'Steal' and the other 'Split' then the person choosing 'Steal' would win all the money. I always thought this was flawed because as a contestant choosing 'Steal' would give you a 50% chance of winning ALL the money, whereas choosing 'Split' would give you a 50% chance of winning HALF the money. So who in their right mind would ever pick 'Split'? 

Pointless is probably my favourite, and back in its early years before anyone won the jackpot Who Wants to be a Millionaire is the only quiz show I can think of that's ever had me on the edge of my seat. If someone got to the business end around £125,000 or £250,000 it was genuinely exciting. 

Golden Balls was awful but I did have a chuckle at one of the endings that went around on YouTube after it was on. I'll try and find/link the video when I get home later. I just remember that it was an incredibly high jackpot (possibly £100k?). It was a girl and a guy in the final and the girl spent the whole time seeking re-assurance that the guy would split with her. She was practically begging and he was promising and promising that he'd split so they could have the money between them given how much they'd each receive. She had him wrapped around her finger and she subsequently stole the lot and left the guy practically in tears - he couldn't look at her afterwards. 

One of my mates went on there once and of course chose to steal at the end (why wouldn't you?), he left with nothing. Would've been about £10k if the other finalist didn't steal also. 

Tipping Point is definitely the worst for me. I struggle to believe that people can get quite so excited about a giant 2p machine. I have only ever seen people choose 3 counters per question at the end and the questions are incredibly easy, I'd love to know what questions they get asked for 1 counter... 

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:25, Taz said:

Tipping Point was my first thought.  I used to like the 2p machines as a kid, but I don't want to watch it on TV.

Deal or No Deal is truly awful though, the way the contestants (and Noel) make out that there is some strategy or higher power leading them towards the boxes.  Awful.

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Tipping Point was my first thought.  I used to like the 2p machines as a kid, but I don't want to watch it on TV.

Deal or No Deal is truly awful though, the way the contestants (and Noel) make out that there is some strategy or higher power leading them towards the boxes.  Awful.

Oh ye of little faith   ...not a 'Deal Pilgrim' then BS2?   

& the Tipping Point machine appears to have a gender, hearing ability and emotions, … 'good days/bad days' … 'she's not being kind to me today ' ... 'to the left please machine' etc... (I'm waiting for the day its accused of being pre-menstrual) 

Question Time.

None of the contestants seem to agree on the correct answer and I have never seen anyone win a prize.

I do like the fact that the audience ask the questions though, they must save a fortune on not having a proper quiz show host, instead they let a pensioner sit in the middle. Which is an interesting twist.

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Question Time.

None of the contestants seem to agree on the correct answer and I have never seen anyone win a prize.

I do like the fact that the audience ask the questions though, they must save a fortune on not having a proper quiz show host, instead they let a pensioner sit in the middle. Which is an interesting twist.

This is actually my favourite programme of the week.

5 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I quite like Pointless. 

Hate that annoying peppy music in Deal or no Deal.

Million Pound Drop is now 100,000 Pound drop which makes it useless as nobody wins anything now.

Pointless would be Ok if they offered a decent prize. As it is it really is .................. pointless really !!

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Question Time.

When I was at school (many years back now) I'd put on Fifteen to One in the afternoon and while it was an OK show the end prize was a crystal vase or something, there was no money to be won.    If you look on Youtube there was a contestant named Bill McKaig or something who answered every question correctly in the later rounds.  It was phenomenal, retrospectively you wouldn't think it would be possible.    Strange game show, the format was kind of interesting but all that trouble in applying to be on and battling other contestants, all for a silly vase.

Used to watch Bullseye in the 80's too.   The early series was also a caravan for every star prize.    After that came a speedboat (not much use when a couple were from Nottingham or somewhere) or some mahogany furniture.     Saying that I grew to like it but those early series were awful, particularly when all they could offer were ten or twenty pounds to be won on the opening board.

Can't stand pointless, my wife watches it religiously but just leave the room whenever it's on.     Other rubbish you could include for this section would be 'Take on the Twisters' and 'Chain Letters' (obscure 1990's short lived thing with Dave Spikey I think it was).     Got to mention The Price is Right, Catchphrase and Wheel of Fortune as well while I'm at it.    

Archived