IGNORED

Hull City (H) - Wed - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Home of the Housemartins, will we see a Happy Hour on Wednesday?  We’ve already had our Flag Day, and Me and The Farmer is pretty appropriate too!

Managed by Nigel Adkins, who’s got a tough job, and he’ll be hoping this away trip is a beautiful south!!

53EDADD4-67DE-416D-9005-F30A6EC0F9CA.jpeg.cb4950c284a18df929dee6572241754a.jpeg

How do they set up:

3-4-3 and with players that suggest this isn’t a team that get behind the ball and defend resolutely.

GK: David Marshall - experienced keeper who’s got a good cv.  Very decent keeper at this level, and at 33, not over the hill.  Scottish International in his day.

RCB: Jordy De Wijs - Belgian born Dutch u21 International. Signed from PSV.  That’s all I know.

CB: Reece Burke - signed from West Ham in the summer.  On loan at Bolton last season, but didn’t feature in either game against City.

LCB: Tommy Elphick - experienced CB on loan from Villa.  Always rated him throughout his career, very solid, and at 31 still very capable.

RWB: Eric Lichaj - American player who’s forged a decent career at this level.  Not afraid to be physical and impose himself on his opposite number.  Steady for a WB, not a “bomber’.

LWB: Todd Kane - ex-City loanee under Cotts.  Still on loan at 25 (like Kalas).  Had injuries but seems to be back fully fit.

CM: Daniel Batty - ex-Leeds youngster, who I assumed must be David Batty’s son, but I can find no reference.  We will see on Wednesday if his game is similar.  You would expect him to be the holding MF.

CM: Jackson Irvine - ex-Burton and Ross County Australian with an eye for a goal.  Decent technician, who can arrive late and is decent in the air.  Dangerman

RW: Jarrod Bowen - Ex-Hereford player, watched by City scouts, who’s excelled at Hull.  Very good scoring record, 1 in 3, in a struggling team.  One to keep an eye on.

LW: Kamil Grosicki - Experienced Polish International, who’s been around the Euro league’s.  Dangerous player and another who can spot an opportunity to shoot.

CF: Chris Martin - another experienced player in the Hull ranks.  Holds the ball up well, especially anywhere chest down, but not blessed with pace.  Not as tall as I thought, but bulky CF who takes some shifting off the ball.

Other notable players:

Kevin Stewart, Ex-Liverpool youngster, who looked good breaking through in cup games for them a couple of years back.

Frazier Campbell - cough, spit, 10 years ago!!

Nouho Dicko - strong, pacy frontman Who was formerly at Rotherham and Wolves.

How do we win?

In fairness, I've not seen them much to know their style of play, but I think they will be a threat around the box if we allow Martin to get it into him and the likes of Bowen, Grosicki and Irvine run off them.  For once out MF duo won’t be outmanned, so if Webster or Kelly can bring the ball into midfield (can’t see Martin chasing much), then we can play through them.  Our widemen could have a field day if we can get our fullbacks to occupy their wingers, leaving acres in the channels where we can expose Elphick.  Hopefully we’ll be full of confidence after Saturday and take that into the game.

Housemartins - top geezers @Davefevs, if we go one down we’ll have to ‘Get up off our knees’ and make sure we don’t ‘Bow down’ to them....we must press and make sure ‘We’re not deep’ ....but I’m not ‘Sitting on a fence’ so ‘People get ready’ .... ‘We’re not going back’ ....coz  we are ‘Hopelessly devoted to them’....’I can’t put my finger on it’ but at this time of year ‘I can smell winter’.....oh well, back to the merlot...as you were...

Just to add that they tend to concede the majority of their goals in the second half whereas we score the majority of ours in the second half. They have also only scored one goal away from home in the second half. So, if we can be winning or drawing at half time I would fancy our chances to see 'em off second half. There's a decent bet in there somewhere.

Overall 0-10 m 11-20 m 21-30 m 31-40 m 41-50 m 51-60 m 61-70 m 71-80 m 81-90 m    1st half 2nd half

Bristol City 2 - 0 1 - 3 0 - 2 1 - 1 2 - 2 2 - 3 2 - 3 2 - 0 5 - 0   5 - 7 12 - 7

Hull City 2 - 2 0 - 2 1 - 2 1 - 1 3 - 1 1 - 4 1 - 3 0 - 2 2 - 3   6 - 8 5 - 12

Away 0-10 m 11-20 m 21-30 m 31-40 m 41-50 m 51-60 m 61-70 m 71-80 m 81-90 m    1st half 2nd half

Hull City 0 - 2 0 - 1 1 - 1 1 - 1 3 - 0 0 - 2 0 - 2 0 - 1 0 - 1   4 - 5 1 - 6

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

@Davefevs - blimey Dave, that’s quite an endorsement! You’d have to improve on your ‘cut and paste’ abilities but I doubt you’d do worse than some of our ex managers and coaches! 

I could just see SL and JL having a £1 wager in the Boardroom toilets like in Trading Places.  Me playing Eddie Murphy, LJ playing Dan Ackroyd.  Who gets to play Jamie Lee-Curtis? ?

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Home of the Housemartins, will we see a Happy Hour on Wednesday?  We’ve already had our Flag Day, and Me and The Farmer is pretty appropriate too!

Managed by Nigel Adkins, who’s got a tough job, and he’ll be hoping this away trip is a beautiful south!!

How do they set up:

3-4-3 and with players that suggest this isn’t a team that get behind the ball and defend resolutely.

GK: David Marshall - experienced keeper who’s got a good cv.  Very decent keeper at this level, and at 33, not over the hill.  Scottish International in his day.

RCB: Jordy De Wijs - Belgian born Dutch u21 International. Signed from PSV.  That’s all I know.

CB: Reece Burke - signed from West Ham in the summer.  On loan at Bolton last season, but didn’t feature in either game against City.

LCB: Tommy Elphick - experienced CB on loan from Villa.  Always rated him throughout his career, very solid, and at 31 still very capable.

RWB: Eric Lichaj - American player who’s forged a decent career at this level.  Not afraid to be physical and impose himself on his opposite number.  Steady for a WB, not a “bomber’.

LWB: Todd Kane - ex-City loanee under Cotts.  Still on loan at 25 (like Kalas).  Had injuries but seems to be back fully fit.

CM: Daniel Batty - ex-Leeds youngster, who I assumed must be David Batty’s son, but I can find no reference.  We will see on Wednesday if his game is similar.  You would expect him to be the holding MF.

CM: Jackson Irvine - ex-Burton and Ross County Australian with an eye for a goal.  Decent technician, who can arrive late and is decent in the air.  Dangerman

RW: Jarrod Bowen - Ex-Hereford player, watched by City scouts, who’s excelled at Hull.  Very good scoring record, 1 in 3, in a struggling team.  One to keep an eye on.

LW: Kamil Grosicki - Experienced Polish International, who’s been around the Euro league’s.  Dangerous player and another who can spot an opportunity to shoot.

CF: Chris Martin - another experienced player in the Hull ranks.  Holds the ball up well, especially anywhere chest down, but not blessed with pace.  Not as tall as I thought, but bulky CF who takes some shifting off the ball.

Other notable players:

Kevin Stewart, Ex-Liverpool youngster, who looked good breaking through in cup games for them a couple of years back.

How do we win?

In fairness, I've not seen them much to know their style of play, but I think they will be a threat around the box if we allow Martin to get it into him and the likes of Bowen, Grosicki and Irvine run off them.  For once out MF duo won’t be outmanned, so if Webster or Kelly can bring the ball into midfield (can’t see Martin chasing much), then we can play through them.  Our widemen could have a field day if we can get our fullbacks to occupy their wingers, leaving acres in the channels where we can expose Elphick.  Hopefully we’ll be full of confidence after Saturday and take that into the game.

Simple version, Scottish keeper? Game on

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How do they set up:

Other notable players:

How do we win?

I think what that lineup shows is that there is on paper a decent enough quality for this level in that side, and it feels like an underperforming team. If you go through 1-11, then 7 of 11 (take out Burke, Batty,, Kane and De Wijs) are established and more than passable at mid to upper level in the championship. The feeling for me is it’s a lot of players who may be past their best and maybe going through the motions to be where they are. That also says to me work rate and pace will be key and will win the game. 

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think what that lineup shows is that there is on paper a decent enough quality for this level in that side, and it feels like an underperforming team. If you go through 1-11, then 7 of 11 (take out Burke, Batty,, Kane and De Wijs) are established and more than passable at mid to upper level in the championship. The feeling for me is it’s a lot of players who may be past their best and maybe going through the motions to be where they are. That also says to me work rate and pace will be key and will win the game. 

Spot on SD.  I know Martin isn’t massively mobile, but he’s a decent forward to build play around, especially with Bowen and Grosicki on either side and Irvine joining from deep.  Makes you wonder whether the 3 CBs and two full-backs as Wing-Backs might be the ying/yang of the flair of the front 4 mentioned above, but perhaps leaves midfield a little light.

As with any game, we mustn’t take them lightly....there’s enough quality to pull our pants down!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on SD.  I know Martin isn’t massively mobile, but he’s a decent forward to build play around, especially with Bowen and Grosicki on either side and Irvine joining from deep.  Makes you wonder whether the 3 CBs and two full-backs as Wing-Backs might be the hung/yang of the flair of the front 4 mentioned above, but perhaps leaves midfield a little light.

As with any game, we mustn’t take them lightly....there’s enough quality to pull our pants down!

Tbf Dave I’m seeing the midfield there as the weak link. Todd Kane is a bit meh - decent enough RB but as, in that lineup, as a wide mid in a 4 on the l-h-s - nah. Irvine I see as more of an attacking support, and Lichaj is more of a RB than a midfield.

It may line up 3-4-3, but of the 4 (and I’m guessing having not seen him), Batty may be the one genuine midfielder who sticks in midfield there. There may be worse games to play Walsh in as I don’t see him getting outgunned while he settles.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I could just see SL and JL having a £1 wager in the Boardroom toilets like in Trading Places.  Me playing Eddie Murphy, LJ playing Dan Ackroyd.  Who gets to play Jamie Lee-Curtis?

I have a fish called Wanda if you need it.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How do they set up:

Other notable players:

How do we win?

They should be doing better than they are . They have a decent squad and a manager who's been around the block .

I believe this is just one of those cycles in football where at the moment Hull are on a bit of a slide due to their owner Allam, wanting to sell and their relegation from the Prem.

It shows the importance of a united  and stable club giving everyone a solid base from which to perform to their best abilities.

Did We bid for Lichaj ? They have a number of players that have been linked with us in recent transfer windows.

Frazer Campbell must be hoping to get a run out against us . He's not the player he was , if he ever was the player he was ! 

If we put in the same level of performance as we did at Brentford we should get a result , that said you don't always get what you deserve in this sport ( blimey , it's not often we call football a sport ) 

They have also not scored from open play in 5 games (2 penalties). Their confidence is hopefully a bit shot after a last minute equaliser on the weekend from Preston, they are certainly for the taking but are not playing as bad as results suggest (shouldn't have lost at Sheff U and hit the woodwork 3 times against Preston). I would like to see us start quick and get them under pressure from the kick off, as they do have the players to grow into the game and they could cause us some problems.

How many of them would you have in the City XI?  Marshall for sure.  Bowen possible.  One could argue Chris Martin is better than Diedhiou but then I wouldnt have Diedhiou in the team.

Other than that I cannot see any of theirs getting into our team.  

Obviously this is football though so that doesnt mean we will win!! The beauty about watching City at the moment is that all three results are likely....

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Just to add that they tend to concede the majority of their goals in the second half whereas we score the majority of ours in the second half. They have also only scored one goal away from home in the second half. So, if we can be winning or drawing at half time I would fancy our chances to see 'em off second half. There's a decent bet in there somewhere.

Overall 0-10 m 11-20 m 21-30 m 31-40 m 41-50 m 51-60 m 61-70 m 71-80 m 81-90 m    1st half 2nd half

Bristol City 2 - 0 1 - 3 0 - 2 1 - 1 2 - 2 2 - 3 2 - 3 2 - 0 5 - 0   5 - 7 12 - 7

Hull City 2 - 2 0 - 2 1 - 2 1 - 1 3 - 1 1 - 4 1 - 3 0 - 2 2 - 3   6 - 8 5 - 12

Away 0-10 m 11-20 m 21-30 m 31-40 m 41-50 m 51-60 m 61-70 m 71-80 m 81-90 m    1st half 2nd half

Hull City 0 - 2 0 - 1 1 - 1 1 - 1 3 - 0 0 - 2 0 - 2 0 - 1 0 - 1   4 - 5 1 - 6

Hull to be winning at half time and then City going on to win is 22/1 on Bet365.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

How many of them would you have in the City XI?  Marshall for sure.  Bowen possible.  One could argue Chris Martin is better than Diedhiou but then I wouldnt have Diedhiou in the team.

Other than that I cannot see any of theirs getting into our team.  

Obviously this is football though so that doesnt mean we will win!! The beauty about watching City at the moment is that all three results are likely....

Irvine, Bowen, Marshall and Grosicki for me.

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Irvine, Bowen, Marshall and Grosicki for me.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Same here ZE. 

Irvine over Brownhill or Pack?  Not for me but all about opinions.

Always really rated David Marshall.  Understand the Grosicki shout as well to be fair albeit Elliason and COD should go on to be better players

6 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Personally, can't see us losing this one.

Don't know about Hull but I think we can expect some complacency amongst the faithful tomorrow evening. And then from some amongst us, low-level upset if the players appear in any way complacent (ie, not 2:0 up in the first 15 mins), a little booing at half-time if we are "all square," Marlon/Marley to cop some sporadic flack whatever bloody happens, fury on OTIB should we at any point fall behind, curiously zealous stewarding in the S82 area, some vitriol if we do not win, and not much in the way of celebration or atmosphere if we are winning comfortably, Liam Walsh to play and look like he needs another year in the stiffs (or a L1 loan), Max O' Leary to break three fingers in the warm up (trod on by Marley), Nathan Baker to catch a cold in the stands etc etc. So, a fun evening to look forward to.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Irvine over Brownhill or Pack?  Not for me but all about opinions.

Always really rated David Marshall.  Understand the Grosicki shout as well to be fair albeit Elliason and COD should go on to be better players

I'm a big Irvine fan.

- 97% of his passes last season were forward. Average passing length was 15m so he's a metronome in the sense that he keeps play ticking over but actually looks to go forward and usually manages to find someone.

- He created 40 scoring chances in 35 appearances last season. A large number of these were from the bench

- Wins 45% of all duels (inc tackling, take ons and fouls)

- On average 0.9 dribbles per game. Might seem average but consider the role he plays for Hull

- 11 goals in 44 starts for Burton and 5 in 35 for Hull

- 6 foot 2 (according to soccerbase) so not short, always seems to do well in aerial duels))

- International experience with Australia

Personally I'd have him here in an instant. Very much an LJ type player too in my view.

Archived