IGNORED

Drinking in view of the pitch- Talksport now

Mr Popodopolous

I know it's been discussed on here quite often, but if anyone interested it's on Talksport now a debate about it- potentially reps from some clubs, of which a number of clubs are in favour of pilot schemes.

They are:

• Ipswich
  • Sunderland
  • Doncaster
  • Accrington Stanley
  • Port Vale
  • Forest Green
  • Lincoln
  • Tranmere
  • Northampton

Grimsby, Newport and Gillingham open to discussion too.

They just said also no club requested for their view, was actively in favour of it staying also- but didn't want to make their views public.

I don't know how far up it goes but it's allowed at Conference South level; I very much enjoyed a Boxing Day match last year from the clubhouse terrace.

You couldn't take the beer to pitchside or into the stands so it's not like everyone was drinking through the game.

In terms of safety, and okay it's just one example, everyone was just drinking socially with nobody getting pissed.  We certainly didn't have anyone like this about:

4 minutes ago, screech said:

There's always a few utter nobs about that would spoil it for the rest of us.

My main problem would be the amount of people going out during the game for drinks. Which someone on TS just picked up on!

10 minutes ago, Super said:

My main problem would be the amount of people going out during the game for drinks. Which someone on TS just picked up on!

It's bad enough now with loads going for a pi$$ every 5 minutes.

A 'drinkers only' section seemed like a good idea, but that would involve relocating too many fans to seats they don't want to sit in.

I would be inclined to leave things as they are.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

One of these bringing beer to your seats would avoid 36 having to go out to the bar!

beer.jpg.7acdb3aa3d3eb63d82c0031fb247f90d.jpg

When I've been to watch rugby it's a big interference. Alot of people are more interested in getting a beer than watching the game. This is why I personally wouldn't want it.

I don't think the argument of the possibility of increased drunken behavior is legitimate however as if you're going to get drunk then you will get drunk regardless as it's readily available at half time and before the game.

Just now, RedLionLad said:

That wouldn't stop 36 people going for a pi$$ during the next 30 minutes.

The same girl can carry 36 bedpans to avoid fans leaving their seats for that as well!

I'd quite like to be able to have a beer watching the football, but I'm usually going home to put kids to bed or driving, so it'd just be one or two. There's definitely a risk that some groups of supporters are going to turn up hammered, drink all through the game and create issues as a result. And as others have said, that's a lot of trips to the toilet!

12 minutes ago, Super said:

This... and that fact that in Dolman there is very little leg room anyway.

Although I sit there for football, every rugby game I've gone to I've bought tickets in the South Stand or Lansdown. Partly to experience different areas of the ground but mostly so I can get in/out easily with a beer or two!!

Watched FGR v Newport a couple a weeks ago. At halftime I had some very nice vegan food and a ecologic pint. The game started and I wen't closer to the window as did many others. A man aproached me and said; -Move away from the window please. I thought he cared for the window and that I migh affect it with my pint. I found it odd but moved two meters backwards and continued to watch the game. A bit later a women approached me and again asked me to step backwards and said this was due to EFL-regulations and I suddenly got the point.       

6 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I remember someone once said on here, if you seriously can't go 45 mins without having a drink, you've got a bit of a problem.

On occasions, watching City for 45 minutes could drive anyone to drink.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed it does.

Go to watch Bristol Rugby, and you can drink in view of the pitch, in the stand- as we all know. Yet do it at football and you risk ejection, banning or arrest.

It's part of football specific legislation, isn't it?

But the only reason I would not want it at football is that at rugby, one is constantly being forced to stand and miss a bit more of the game each time it happens. In fact, it is a real nuisance with trays of four beers being brought in, spilling over one's clothing and even soaking the concrete floor/steps which then may become slippery and dangerous.

One does not do this in a theatre or cinema so why at a sporting event in an all seated stadium.

If it became allowed to bring alcohol into the seating area, then the outlets should be closed during play.

I know some will think I'm a misery, but it really is a nuisance at rugby so let's not make the same mistake at football.

Archived