IGNORED

Drinking in view of the pitch- Talksport now

Mr Popodopolous

57 minutes ago, Laner said:

This... and that fact that in Dolman there is very little leg room anyway.

Although I sit there for football, every rugby game I've gone to I've bought tickets in the South Stand or Lansdown. Partly to experience different areas of the ground but mostly so I can get in/out easily with a beer or two!!

I’m exactly the same. I sit mid row Dolman for football, very little legroom and even if someone stand up in the row infront not your row you still can miss vital happenings in the football. It would annoy the hell out of me to have people coming in and out all game on these two rows. 

For rugby I’m in the SS/Lansdown corner, more room there and I expect people to be in and out. Also every move in rugby isn’t watched like football, anything controversial gets the VAR treatment and you can see it anyway. 

I like the idea of drinking at football though, shame people can’t be trusted with cans, we could have a BYO then ( max 4 cans per person), not that the club would like that but it would stop a lot of the movement only needing to for comfort breaks :laugh:

24 minutes ago, hodge said:

Can just see people spilling pints everywhere when trying to get back to their seat walking past people

I think that’s what the 2pt jugs are for, at least when you get back to your seat you will have a chance of having at least a pint to drink!

52 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But the only reason I would not want it at football is that at rugby, one is constantly being forced to stand and miss a bit more of the game each time it happens. In fact, it is a real nuisance with trays of four beers being brought in, spilling over one's clothing and even soaking the concrete floor/steps which then may become slippery and dangerous.

One does not do this in a theatre or cinema so why at a sporting event in an all seated stadium.

If it became allowed to bring alcohol into the seating area, then the outlets should be closed during play.

I know some will think I'm a misery, but it really is a nuisance at rugby so let's not make the same mistake at football.

It's an interesting one isn't it.

I think the drink thing would be a lot easier on a terrace- all seater I can see the problems you outline.

The other side of the coin is though, that at cricket, rugby union, rugby league- though some of these have terraced areas which definitely helps, probably hockey and athletics also- you can drink in view of the pitch. Arguably discrimination in the sense of football being excluded from this?

14 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

The 2nd half at home game against Hull last season is a perfect example!

LJ was struggling to go 45 minutes without a drink during that one!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. And spilling drinks when celebrating a goal. I don't see what the problem is the way it is now. 

Can see players being booked for that! :)

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

I remember someone once said on here, if you seriously can't go 45 mins without having a drink, you've got a bit of a problem.

Wanting to enjoy supping a beer through the half whilst watching the football rather than racing to stand in a long queue in order to neck one at half time seems rather civilised to me.

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

When I've been to watch rugby it's a big interference. Alot of people are more interested in getting a beer than watching the game. This is why I personally wouldn't want it.

I don't think the argument of the possibility of increased drunken behavior is legitimate however as if you're going to get drunk then you will get drunk regardless as it's readily available at half time and before the game.

Agree on both points. 

With the second you may well see less drunken behavior- if fans can drink during the game there's less liklihood of trying to cram in a skinful pre-match and turning up bladdered. Could allow some to pace themselves better but like you stated if folk are going to get drunk then that's what they'll do. 

I think people are misinterpreting what "in view of the pitch" means.

Here is the one I've drunk at, Truro City's ?current ?previous ground Treyew Road.

Truro+15.jpg

There are stands around the ground but the only place that you can drink beer is in front of the clubhouse - that one storey white builidng on the right of the picture which has a flat standing area in front with a rail around it.

Drinks cannot go beyond that rail and it is ?ten foot from the pitch.

So you're not sitting next to somebody with a beer in their hand in the stands and nor are they going to drench you with beer when City score.

This is all that might be coming in; not have a drink wherever you want.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Here is the one I've drunk at, Truro City's ?current ?previous ground Treyew Road.

Truro+15.jpg

There are stands around the ground but the only place that you can drink beer is in front of the clubhouse - that one storey white builidng on the right of the picture which has a flat standing area in front with a rail around it.

So you're not sitting next to somebody with a beer in their hand in the stands and nor are they going to drench you with beer when City score.

So where would that be at Ashton Gate for home fans?

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Truro+15.jpg

I've had a beer at Wells City under similar circs, but how do you think something like this would work at AG, Ed?

I just have a horrible feeling that if we did allow it at the Gate the minority of bellends would ruin things for the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

So where would that be at Ashton Gate for home fans?

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've had a beer at Wells City under similar circs, but how do you think something like this would work at AG, Ed?

I just have a horrible feeling that if we did allow it at the Gate the minority of bellends would ruin things for the rest of us.

I agree with the both of you!

I think it's been allowed in the lower leagues because the numbers are small, the bellends are infrequent, and the atmosphere is more relaxed.

All I could think would be say a bar with seats for which you had to buy tickets that didn't allow entry for the rest of the specatators, and vice versa.

I don't really think it would work tbh but maybe in some grounds it would.  I was more trying to to stop the idea taking hold that allowing ths would mean that suddenly everyone would be tanking ten cans of Special Brew through the match in their usual seats when that is very much not how it works.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s a stupid rule and hopefully if scrapped would stop the mass exodus ten minutes before half time by those for whom football has interrupted their important drinking time.

Yeah this is a good point.

@Super You query whether it's clubs or fans who push for it- and it's possible of course that those fans who want it are a vocal minority but the numbers 5-10 mins before halftime who seem to shift out is often quite noticeable.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah this is a good point.

@Super You query whether it's clubs or fans who push for it- and it's possible of course that those fans who want it are a vocal minority but the numbers 5-10 mins before halftime who seem to shift out is often quite noticeable.

It's an interesting debate.

I'm quite comfortable with not having a beer during the game, but then at the same time I think about all the games when I have rushed to get there, necked a pint and then taken my seat.

Guess there would be a demand for it - and an easier one to manage if we had safe standing, and there would be the chance for the club to make more cash. But then how long till a small majority do something that spoils it for everyone else.

It is certainly different on the continent.

I go quite frequently to Parc des Princes to watch Paris Saint-Germain, and we often drink champagne/wine and eat canapés in full view of the pich before the match and at half-time.

Whilst, invariably, we fail to finish our drinks before the match restarts after half-time, this poses no problem and is quite legal.

In Germany, there are actually people walking around the stadium during the match to serve you beer and wurst! 

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I go quite frequently to Parc des Princes to watch Paris Saint-Germain, and we often drink champagne/wine and eat canapés in full view of the pich before the match and at half-time.

Whilst, invariably, we fail to finish our drinks before the match restarts after half-time, this poses no problem and is quite legal.

In Germany, there are actually people walking around the stadium during the match to serve you beer and wurst! 

I saw Hertha play Mainz at Berlin Olympic stadium.

Plenty inside having drink and snacks but they were there to watch the game, so not many going out for toilet or beer while play was in progress.

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Same at Roma-Inter (I was in the DIstinti Sud not far from the ultras).

Noticeably however there was no beer sales certainly not to seats in the 2nd half- wonder why.

23 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Meanwhile, in hospitality, the rich slum it with a cheese roll, a bottle of blue nun and half a dozen bakewell tarts.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Meanwhile, in hospitality, the rich slum it with a cheese roll, a bottle of blue nun and half a dozen bakewell tarts.

Ha.

Actually, I am not a fan of the obscene, borderline corrupt Qatar-funded PSG and only go to PdesP when I am invited in hospitality: I have a client who has some top of the range season tickets, although I must say it is quite a lavish, albeit quite ostentatious, experience.  

41 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Posh git!

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I agree with the both of you!

I think it's been allowed in the lower leagues because the numbers are small, the bellends are infrequent, and the atmosphere is more relaxed.

All I could think would be say a bar with seats for which you had to buy tickets that didn't allow entry for the rest of the specatators, and vice versa.

I don't really think it would work tbh but maybe in some grounds it would.  I was more trying to to stop the idea taking hold that allowing ths would mean that suddenly everyone would be tanking ten cans of Special Brew through the match in their usual seats when that is very much not how it works.

Pretty sure it's not technically "allowed" even at non league clubs. More that a blind eye is turned.

The rule is an FA one, and clubs become stricter on it when it comes to the FA Cup (http://www.afcdiamonds.com/fa-cup-game-reminder-on-fa-rule-regarding-alcohol)

13 hours ago, Super said:

Works ok in Rugby/cricket doesn't it?

An obvious answer for cricket in a lot of the stands they have to wait till the end of an over to return to their seat so not to get in people's way watching. Imagine at football a steward asking someone to wait till the balls out of play.

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think a sensible solution would be to change the regulations to allow drinking in seating areas but keep the arrangement where concessions remains closed during the match. This will mean people can drink in seated areas but will minimise disruption during a game.

That sounds like a really sensible idea. Genius.

Archived