IGNORED

Bristol City v Hull City Match Day 14

Septic Peg

It's me again. I know Hav is super busy at workies at the mo so I shall step forth and write tonight's thread... 

So this is gonna be a bit of a leap. Bear with me...

To Hull and Back.

Season 4. Episode 8. Aired on Christmas Day 1985. I was a months and a half old so I can't technically remember watching it but my Dad was a huge Only Fools fan so I'm 100% sure I would have been present whilst it broadcasted.

If you've never watched it, I won't spoil the plot line but I will say it involves Hull, Uncle Albert as a Captain and diamonds. Hull incorporates an international shipping lane (wind power turbines are built on site at that port) and also has daily ferry services to Zeebrugge in Belgium and Rotterdam in Holland.

Now unless you live under a rock, you'll know what Only Fools and Horses is and why it's so beloved by Bristolians across the generations. Just a short while after To Hull and Back was made, production of Only Fools moved to Bristol, specifically BS3 and even more specifically, Whitemead House (one of the tower blocks behind the Dolman) and the Bristol City car park market. Many of the later episodes include the sections of the old Williams stand and the old Hirerite building. I myself witnessed the classic Reliant Regal, wobbling down Duckmoor Road, driven by David Jason. Residents were invited to watch to apologise for the road closure.

To this day, many Only Fools fans still make the trip to Bristol, to visit "Nelson Mandela House" after the original in Acton became overrun with fans in 1985. Harlech Tower still stands to this day but Whitemead House is synonymous largely because most of the big specials - including the pocketwatch episode - were filmed there.

So technically Hull and Bristol can have one thing in common. Only Fools came to town and was broadcast to millions.

On to tonight.

Mad Max is between the sticks again after a superb performance against Brentford. Again, proof that our academy is turning out some real gems.

Expect Mo, Hakeeb and maybe Tomas to be on the bench with maybe a run on as subs.

Baker is a doubt so it'll be interesting to see who LJ puts in front of young Max.

Hull sit second from bottom and have an injury list to rival our own. 

A narrow win I feel for us. 2-1 to the robins.

COYR!

7 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

It's me again. I know Hav is super busy at workies at the mo so I shall step forth and write tonight's thread... 

To Hull and Back.

Season 4. Episode 8. Aired on Christmas Day 1985. I was a months and a half old so I can't technically remember watching it but my Dad was a huge Only Fools fan so I'm 100% sure I would have been present whilst it broadcasted.

If you've never watched it, I won't spoil the plot line but I will say it involves Hull, Uncle Albert as a Captain and diamonds. Hull incorporates an international shipping lane (wind power turbines are built on site at that port) and also has daily ferry services to Zeebrugge in Belgium and Rotterdam in Holland.

Now unless you live under a rock, you'll know what Only Fools and Horses is and why it's so beloved by Bristolians across the generations. Just a short while after To Hull and Back was made, production of Only Fools moved to Bristol, specifically BS3 and even more specifically, Whitemead House (one of the tower blocks behind the Dolman) and the Bristol City car park market. Many of the later episodes include the sections of the old Williams stand and the old Hirerite building. I myself witnessed the classic Reliant Regal, wobbling down Duckmoor Road, driven by David Jason. Residents were invited to watch to apologise for the road closure.

To this day, many Only Fools fans still make the trip to Bristol, to visit "Nelson Mandela House" after the original in Acton became overrun with fans in 1985. Harlech Tower still stands to this day but Whitemead House is synonymous largely because most of the big specials - including the pocketwatch episode - were filmed there.

So technically Hull and Bristol can have one thing in common. Only Fools came to town and was broadcast to millions.

On to tonight.

Mad Max is between the sticks again after a superb performance against Brentford. Again, proof that our academy is turning out some real gems.

Expect Mo, Hakeeb and maybe Tomas to be on the bench with maybe a run on as subs.

Baker is a doubt so it'll be interesting to see who LJ puts in front of young Max.

COYR!

You`m a babber.

22 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

To Hull and Back.

On to tonight.

COYR!

Condensed Version

Hull City:

it's Peg again, Hav's busy

Looking forward to this, that 1-0 against Brentford should give us a much needed shot in the arm, not too concerned about Baker if he doesn't start as Kelly and Dasilva looked handy on our left side.  We do need to improve our home form if we want a realistic chance of continuing to flirt with the playoff spots, so lets hope that starts with tonight! 

Going to be a close game I feel however, 9 of their 13 league games so far have been had no more than a 1 goal margin either way, 4 of those 9 games being 1-1 and 3 being narrow 1-0 losses.

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

You`m a babber.

That I am Michael. 33 next month and now babies I can remember being born are having babies of their own.

So in that respect I'm also old plus I'm sure I was born in the wrong decade so stick 10 years on because I act like an old bat.

Hull = Wembley, Windyass, a non turn up team and a still painfull memory; please smash them tonight.....it may revive my interest if you do :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Interesting fact from beeb; our last 7 goals have been scored by 7 different players ? whos turn tonight ?

7 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Hull = Wembley, Windyass, a non turn up team and a still painfull memory; please smash them tonight.....it may revive my interest if you do :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Interesting fact from beeb; our last 7 goals have been scored by 7 different players ? whos turn tonight ?

Max

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think Hull fans are very keen on the owner, to be fair.

That's putting it mildly, I don't like Hull but their owners are as bad as Tan man and the Venky's imo, all three are an embarrassment to football.  Don't Hull's parachute payments end this season or next? Hopefully they'll leave once the money dries up, there's clubs I might dislike, some more than others but I still wouldn't like them being owned by these types and dragging football through the mud, so to speak, with their shady antics.

9 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

That's putting it mildly, I don't like Hull but their owners are as bad as Tan man and the Venky's imo, all three are an embarrassment to football.  Don't Hull's parachute payments end this season or next? Hopefully they'll leave once the money dries up, there's clubs I might dislike, some more than others but I still wouldn't like them being owned by these types and dragging football through the mud, so to speak, with their shady antics.

Correct Hull's parachute payments end with this season, they will be right in the do-do's if they go down... such a shame ?

Windass has gone bankrupt.  just desserts for scoring against us at Wembley and dodging taxes?

Hull's injury list is bad and of particular interest is that their Brazilian playmaker is out (I can't remember his name). But watch out for the wounded tigers tonight.

Andi W and Snakey up top with Fam as an impact sub?

Hope Max gets the start he deserves.

Is Callum fit yet?

Wouud like to see Walsh and Pack in central midfield with Josh Brownhill on the right.

I Reckon a 1 - 1 draw tonight or City to edge it 1 - 0 (Bristol City that is ?).

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Yep. But why is not the Official match day thread?

@Septic Peg A faux Pas?

Hav and myself agreed mutually on a streamlined subject title at the beginning of the season. All threads by us will be in the same format.

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

In a post that initially references diamonds that is indeed a splendid description 

Cheers mucker.

Clarky in your letterbox later.

I've had an intense dislike for Hull ever since that play-off final, so I hope they make the long journey home with nothing tonight.

Grudges aside, they've had a poor start to the season so this would seem to be a winnable game, but they are no mugs. All depends on how we play, which is difficult to predict because our performances have been so inconsistent this season, both between games and within games. Hopefully the confidence from the win at Brentford will give us a bit of spark rather than one of those slow, pedestrian, static performances that we sometimes see.

Archived