Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Septic Peg

Bristol City v Hull City Match Day 14

It's me again. I know Hav is super busy at workies at the mo so I shall step forth and write tonight's thread... 

So this is gonna be a bit of a leap. Bear with me...

To Hull and Back.

Season 4. Episode 8. Aired on Christmas Day 1985. I was a months and a half old so I can't technically remember watching it but my Dad was a huge Only Fools fan so I'm 100% sure I would have been present whilst it broadcasted.

If you've never watched it, I won't spoil the plot line but I will say it involves Hull, Uncle Albert as a Captain and diamonds. Hull incorporates an international shipping lane (wind power turbines are built on site at that port) and also has daily ferry services to Zeebrugge in Belgium and Rotterdam in Holland.

Now unless you live under a rock, you'll know what Only Fools and Horses is and why it's so beloved by Bristolians across the generations. Just a short while after To Hull and Back was made, production of Only Fools moved to Bristol, specifically BS3 and even more specifically, Whitemead House (one of the tower blocks behind the Dolman) and the Bristol City car park market. Many of the later episodes include the sections of the old Williams stand and the old Hirerite building. I myself witnessed the classic Reliant Regal, wobbling down Duckmoor Road, driven by David Jason. Residents were invited to watch to apologise for the road closure.

To this day, many Only Fools fans still make the trip to Bristol, to visit "Nelson Mandela House" after the original in Acton became overrun with fans in 1985. Harlech Tower still stands to this day but Whitemead House is synonymous largely because most of the big specials - including the pocketwatch episode - were filmed there.

So technically Hull and Bristol can have one thing in common. Only Fools came to town and was broadcast to millions.

On to tonight.

Mad Max is between the sticks again after a superb performance against Brentford. Again, proof that our academy is turning out some real gems.

Expect Mo, Hakeeb and maybe Tomas to be on the bench with maybe a run on as subs.

Baker is a doubt so it'll be interesting to see who LJ puts in front of young Max.

Hull sit second from bottom and have an injury list to rival our own. 

A narrow win I feel for us. 2-1 to the robins.

COYR!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

It's me again. I know Hav is super busy at workies at the mo so I shall step forth and write tonight's thread... 

To Hull and Back.

Season 4. Episode 8. Aired on Christmas Day 1985. I was a months and a half old so I can't technically remember watching it but my Dad was a huge Only Fools fan so I'm 100% sure I would have been present whilst it broadcasted.

If you've never watched it, I won't spoil the plot line but I will say it involves Hull, Uncle Albert as a Captain and diamonds. Hull incorporates an international shipping lane (wind power turbines are built on site at that port) and also has daily ferry services to Zeebrugge in Belgium and Rotterdam in Holland.

Now unless you live under a rock, you'll know what Only Fools and Horses is and why it's so beloved by Bristolians across the generations. Just a short while after To Hull and Back was made, production of Only Fools moved to Bristol, specifically BS3 and even more specifically, Whitemead House (one of the tower blocks behind the Dolman) and the Bristol City car park market. Many of the later episodes include the sections of the old Williams stand and the old Hirerite building. I myself witnessed the classic Reliant Regal, wobbling down Duckmoor Road, driven by David Jason. Residents were invited to watch to apologise for the road closure.

To this day, many Only Fools fans still make the trip to Bristol, to visit "Nelson Mandela House" after the original in Acton became overrun with fans in 1985. Harlech Tower still stands to this day but Whitemead House is synonymous largely because most of the big specials - including the pocketwatch episode - were filmed there.

So technically Hull and Bristol can have one thing in common. Only Fools came to town and was broadcast to millions.

On to tonight.

Mad Max is between the sticks again after a superb performance against Brentford. Again, proof that our academy is turning out some real gems.

Expect Mo, Hakeeb and maybe Tomas to be on the bench with maybe a run on as subs.

Baker is a doubt so it'll be interesting to see who LJ puts in front of young Max.

COYR!

You`m a babber.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

To Hull and Back.

On to tonight.

COYR!

Condensed Version

Hull City:

it's Peg again, Hav's busy

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Looking forward to this, that 1-0 against Brentford should give us a much needed shot in the arm, not too concerned about Baker if he doesn't start as Kelly and Dasilva looked handy on our left side.  We do need to improve our home form if we want a realistic chance of continuing to flirt with the playoff spots, so lets hope that starts with tonight! 

Going to be a close game I feel however, 9 of their 13 league games so far have been had no more than a 1 goal margin either way, 4 of those 9 games being 1-1 and 3 being narrow 1-0 losses.

Fancy this will be a tight affair, with no more than one goal in it. Love to see Walsh given a chance but expecting LJ to stick with the underperforming Pato again, hopefully he will at least keep Kelly CB and DaSilva LB. Need a win with a tougher game against Stoke to come after. 

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

You`m a babber.

That I am Michael. 33 next month and now babies I can remember being born are having babies of their own.

So in that respect I'm also old plus I'm sure I was born in the wrong decade so stick 10 years on because I act like an old bat.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Hull = Wembley, Windyass, a non turn up team and a still painfull memory; please smash them tonight.....it may revive my interest if you do :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Interesting fact from beeb; our last 7 goals have been scored by 7 different players 🤔 whos turn tonight ?

Edited by Bri Stool City

7 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Hull = Wembley, Windyass, a non turn up team and a still painfull memory; please smash them tonight.....it may revive my interest if you do :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Interesting fact from beeb; our last 7 goals have been scored by 7 different players 🤔 whos turn tonight ?

Max

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Hull City AFC is owned by a bunch of complete money laundrig idiots. Long may they rot in hell.

I don't think Hull fans are very keen on the owner, to be fair.

Off topic but does anybody know if The Rising Sun has Sky Sports/BT sport back in there yet? 

Wen't in there first game of the season and it didn't have either & haven't been back before a match since. 

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think Hull fans are very keen on the owner, to be fair.

That's putting it mildly, I don't like Hull but their owners are as bad as Tan man and the Venky's imo, all three are an embarrassment to football.  Don't Hull's parachute payments end this season or next? Hopefully they'll leave once the money dries up, there's clubs I might dislike, some more than others but I still wouldn't like them being owned by these types and dragging football through the mud, so to speak, with their shady antics.

Edited by Bristol is red
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

That's putting it mildly, I don't like Hull but their owners are as bad as Tan man and the Venky's imo, all three are an embarrassment to football.  Don't Hull's parachute payments end this season or next? Hopefully they'll leave once the money dries up, there's clubs I might dislike, some more than others but I still wouldn't like them being owned by these types and dragging football through the mud, so to speak, with their shady antics.

Correct Hull's parachute payments end with this season, they will be right in the do-do's if they go down... such a shame 🙂

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Condensed Version

Hull City:

it's Peg again, Hav's busy

Fair play to the energetic Havana, it's turning out to be one hell of a honeymoon. :whistle2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Hull City AFC is owned by a bunch of complete money laundring idiots. Long may they rot in hell.

they speak well of you!!

Windass has gone bankrupt.  just desserts for scoring against us at Wembley and dodging taxes?

Hull's injury list is bad and of particular interest is that their Brazilian playmaker is out (I can't remember his name). But watch out for the wounded tigers tonight.

Andi W and Snakey up top with Fam as an impact sub?

Hope Max gets the start he deserves.

Is Callum fit yet?

Wouud like to see Walsh and Pack in central midfield with Josh Brownhill on the right.

I Reckon a 1 - 1 draw tonight or City to edge it 1 - 0 (Bristol City that is 😀).

Edited by wendyredredrobin

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

In a post that initially references diamonds that is indeed a splendid description 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Yep. But why is not the Official match day thread?

@Septic Peg A faux Pas?

Hav and myself agreed mutually on a streamlined subject title at the beginning of the season. All threads by us will be in the same format.

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

In a post that initially references diamonds that is indeed a splendid description 

Cheers mucker.

Clarky in your letterbox later.

• Like 1

I've had an intense dislike for Hull ever since that play-off final, so I hope they make the long journey home with nothing tonight.

Grudges aside, they've had a poor start to the season so this would seem to be a winnable game, but they are no mugs. All depends on how we play, which is difficult to predict because our performances have been so inconsistent this season, both between games and within games. Hopefully the confidence from the win at Brentford will give us a bit of spark rather than one of those slow, pedestrian, static performances that we sometimes see.

21 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Come on, as if we'd ever be involved in a 5-5!

Not many times you can score 5 at home and not take all 3 points, that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Not many times you can score 5 at home and not take all 3 points, that's for sure.

Or away for that matter!

16 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Or away for that matter!

Sticking my neck out and saying the team that scores 5 tonight will win.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Bill said:

Does Hull still have it's own telephone company?

2-0 City

..good question  …. I'll give 'em a ring to find out!  

:phone: ...still dunno

… I left a message. 

Hull's closed until 8am and I can't stand answer machines.     

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Went to Hallen vs Bristol Manor Farm in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary round about 10 years ago.

Hallen scored 5 goals at home that day and lost.

At 5-5 they hit the crossbar and had a follow up cleared off the line, BMF went down the other end, hit the bar and scored the rebound.

Cost me about £4 to see that game, probably the most value for money match I've been to.

3 minutes ago, 1891 B.C. Sweden said:

:chant6ez:Come On You Reds!!! :chant6ez:

Can feel the excitement's just the same whether you reside in Stockholm or are just about to walk to The Gate from Bedminster

COYR

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Can feel the excitement's just the same whether you reside in Stockholm or are just about to walk to The Gate from Bedminster

COYR

I'm actually in Kap Verde now. There is a heavily tattooed gashead at my hotel. He didn't like my City-shirt.

Edited by 1891 B.C. Sweden
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Incredible no Kelly. Although i like Dasilva, Kelly is surely too good to leave out. But the biggest worry is the strike force. Diedhiou and Weimann not looked right together at all so far. 

• Like 1

Kalas is fit and presumably they've seen something about Kelly that indicated he'd benefit from a brief rest.

Da Silva offers more going forward from LB.

Seems a reasonable selection, but no surprise if Lloyd returns on Saturday whatever happens tonight.

Da Silva was excellent on Saturday. Maybe Kelly needs a rest? 

Diedhiou could do with a good game.

I think a bit of rotation is fair for a midweek game against a struggling team 

To be fair Kelly has been playing 90mins in U20 games during the breaks so we don’t want to burn him out. Especially when we do have depth in Kalas and Da Silva.

Good management in my opinion. He’ll be back in on Saturday.