IGNORED

Basso

kiwicolin

24 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

He was voted the best in the last 35 years , on sound of the city. 

But the post by BCS stated "club's history".  There may have been better 'keeper's in the club's history, (we all have our own opinions), but  I do admit, on many occasions AB was inspirational to the fans.

33 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

He was voted the best in the last 35 years , on sound of the city. 

Probably because most people who actually watched Gibson are either not around or are at an age they don’t participate in phone ins. 

All 3 were great keepers at different times in different eras so it’s difficult to compare like with like unless you have time to check how average number of goals they conceded during their time with us, and frankly I’ve got better things to do right now.

COYR

How about Billy Mercer ? 

2 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Probably because most people who actually watched Gibson are either not around or are at an age they don’t participate in phone ins. 

All 3 were great keepers at different times in different eras so it’s difficult to compare like with like unless you have time to check how average number of goals they conceded during their time with us, and frankly I’ve got better things to do right now.

COYR

But it was done as a poll , on line .

14 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

But it was done as a poll , on line .

Unfortunately technology has not advanced enough to let dead people vote, even on line.

I can hardly cope with the technology to do what I want to do let alone the really now very elderly or sick who would have seen Gibson play in the flesh - not just cold stats.

34 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Unfortunately technology has not advanced enough to let dead people vote, even on line.

I can hardly cope with the technology to do what I want to do let alone the really now very elderly or sick who would have seen Gibson play in the flesh - not just cold stats.

10,000 fans on the social media voted

1 hour ago, Red DNA said:

Hey! Go and wash out your mouth.

I watched Mike Gibson play and, luckily, am neither (that) elderly nor sick.

1,2,3 Gibbo!

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Basso did well, but not convinced he was better than Tom Heaton. Shame we didn’t have him for very long or when we were on the way up.

In the last 35 years, Basso is up there. Depends what you class as “best” though. Heaton was undoubtedly a better keeper, but wasn’t here as long and didn’t have as much impact. Equally, I’d have Billy Mercer as my best keeper in the last 35 years, but he didn’t play enough to earn that right.

Who are the other main contenders in that time frame? Welch? Fielding? Phillips?

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hey! Go and wash out your mouth.

I watched Mike Gibson play and, luckily, am neither (that) elderly nor sick.

1,2,3 Gibbo!

So did I. He also, with other players, came to our house to collect the money we ‘agents’ collected for the City draw.

Most of the players took turns in collecting the cash, Dickie Rooks, Terry Bush, Gordon Parr (lived just a few streets away, in slightly posher area of Knowledge West!) and so many more I can’t list them all here tonight. Happy days, nice to have the opportunity to meet players in your own home for a chat and an autograph. 

6 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

So did I. He also, with other players, came to our house to collect the money we ‘agents’ collected for the City draw.

Most of the players took turns in collecting the cash, Dickie Rooks, Terry Bush, Gordon Parr (lived just a few streets away, in slightly posher area of Knowledge West!) and so many more I can’t list them all here tonight. Happy days, nice to have the opportunity to meet players in your own home for a chat and an autograph. 

Well, I just hope that, whilst you may be elderly you are not sick?.

1 hour ago, Red DNA said:

63 3/4 is not elderly! 

I too remember watching Mike Gibson and am only 58!

I didn’t see the online poll to see who we could vote for - but both Basso and Gibson were very good in their very different ways ... I would include Ray Cashley as one of the best - was on goal for much of our first season back in the old First Division and always remember him scoring with a punt in the pouring rain one Tuesday night .... not a thing I can remember either Basso or Gibson achieving!

15 hours ago, Webzcas said:

Maybe not the best keeper. But as an inspirational member of the team, Basso was and is what I would define as a club legend.

#AlwaysBelieve

Rejected a contract, requested a transfer, got his agent to play games and eventually was asked to stay away before his contract was terminated. He could have been a club legend, but threw away the right to qualify for that, in my opinion. 

Happy memories of Basso but not the very best - goalkeeping wise I agree with @eardun Heaton won player of the season behind an abject defence - Basso at the back of a team that worked together incredibly well. Heaton edges it in my time watching City.

I genuinely can't remember what his distribution was like - would a peak Basso be able to play in the current side?

I'm not sure with the ball at his feet he was that confident, he was certainly prone to the odd collapse. One of his strengths was in his recovery, whether it was a double save or bouncing back after an error he wasn't beaten for long. A superstar and a positive role model, it was a shame the club couldn't match his ambitions and the fall out probably cost him his chance to step up a level as a number 1.

Also, GJ had a couple of contract issues, another notable one being Bradley Orr - he was good at putting the players in a position where it appeared to be them against the club, I'm glad LJ doesn't seem to have inherited that.

Archived