IGNORED

In which minute will LJ take Pato off for being crap tonight?

where's the joy

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Played well? I was watching a different game.

Thought he was ok but he is almost being compared to his dreadful form. Just because he was 5-6 out of 10 tonight doesn’t mean it was good. Means he wasn’t the 3 or 4 he has been. 

That said, signs tonight he is getting a bit sharper and confident. Has ability for sure but not seen it in months. Idk part of me says bench him and make him earn it back. The other part of me see all the athletes in our team and think Paterson could he really useful as the creator and bit of class needed

32 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I feel slightly sorry for him. Just thought tonight that he still looks so skinny. I’m not convinced he’s ever really recovered from his illness. 

No doubt some of these viruses can knock someone for six, many of us in ordinary lives have experienced this and it's been a while since getting well again before we've truly felt ourselves... For a professional athlete and sportsperson getting back to feeling like your old self again must be much harder specially if significant weight loss has been a factor.... plus the time to recover previous form etc after a lengthy lay off...

Concerned for Frankie right now for that same reason... (thank heavens for brilliant stand in keepers on the way up eh?)

Get well soon Frankie, and continue your road back to full fitness and form Patto, (you're getting there, despite some pretty impatient and unforgiving 'support', knock a couple of goals in and chalk up a few assists and in some peoples minds you'll go from zero to hero again, virtually overnight.)  

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Or before he had a virus that caused him to lose nearly a stone in weight? It's difficult to know how much that has affected him long term.

Of all the sweeping statements that infuriate me on this forum, that has to be one the most crass. 

Prove me wrong... 

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Or before he had a virus that caused him to lose nearly a stone in weight? It's difficult to know how much that has affected him long term.

Of all the sweeping statements that infuriate me on this forum, that has to be one the most crass. 

It's hilarious isn't it. Completely get that football is a game of opinions and some might have seen him as either ineffective or not.

But to say he hasn't won a single tackle just simply isn't true. Worked hard against Brentford and won a couple of big challenges covering Da Silva. And especially remember one yesterday (admittedly after losing the ball) he won a smart challenge on the half way line.

38 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Prove me wrong... 

No. You made the statement, you prove that you are right. I am sure there are opta stats out there that cover tackles made. You can have a look at those and if there is a big fat 0 there then I will accept your statement.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Don't you think he looked good second half? He stopped giving the ball away and was the main man making things happen I thought. 

He runs up blind alleys. Rarely, if ever, makes passes that open things up for others.

In short, doesn't create for others and doesn't score goals. I don't understand what he contributes to the cause, but what do I know about football.

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No. You made the statement, you prove that you are right. I am sure there are opta stats out there that cover tackles made. You can have a look at those and if there is a big fat 0 there then I will accept your statement.

2 tackles vs Brentford and 2 vs Hull.

Also found this on his stat summary on Whoscored.

Screenshot_20181025-080439.png

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He runs up blind alleys. Rarely, if ever, makes passes that open things up for others.

In short, doesn't create for others and doesn't score goals. I don't understand what he contributes to the cause, but what do I know about football.

From your assessment I deduce you recognise a player who hides in plain sight. One who's expert at finding space between opponents, or opponent and official, such he becomes invisible to his teammates. A player who knows not how to get both feet to leave the turf. A player whose natural instinct when in open play is to dispose of the ball asap - backwards. A player, to paraphrase Wilde, not so much looking upward rather one who is fixated staring at both turf and the remnants of his career. And like every other fan at the clubs he's previously represented you doubtless recognise a player who, post a few honeymoon months, can't wait to move on.

But, as you say, what do you know?

17 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

2 tackles vs Brentford and 2 vs Hull.

Also found this on his stat summary on Whoscored.

Screenshot_20181025-080439.png

I saw both the Brentford and Hull games in their entirety and he did not win a tackle in either.  I am talking about tackling not blocking or nipping the ball away from your opponent.  A proper actual tackle.  Anyone who has played football at any level knows what I mean.  Just goes to show what a load of shit those stats sites are...

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He does at times run up blind alleys but watch the movement in front of him(and others!) at times. Tonight, especially when Weimann went wide, we seriously lacked good movement. Even felt bad for Hunt at times because Eliasson would sprint and point for a ball over the top but when not played he just stops and doesn’t come short. 

Back to Pato, he was the one player moving and finding space. He also can receive the ball with his back to goal and turn to beat a defender and open up an attack. It is just that tonight he did not have as many options in front of him. Of course he could have done better on occasions but he was doing the right things tonight just lacking some movement and he is still lacking that confidence a bit. Not sure I’d start him v Stoke though. 

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I saw both the Brentford and Hull games in their entirety and he did not win a tackle in either.  I am talking about tackling not blocking or nipping the ball away from your opponent.  A proper actual tackle.  Anyone who has played football at any level knows what I mean.  Just goes to show what a load of shit those stats sites are...

Except he did? Are you sure you were watching the right player?

11 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'm not going to go through game footage minute by minute but look at about 40 mins in in the full 90 vs Brentford. 

I'm confused though, does nipping the ball away from your opponent not count as a tackle? Yeah he probably doesn't win mant hefty slide tackles, because he has quick feet and can nick it.

This is a bit out of proportion anyway. I'm not saying he is a great tackler by any means and could definitely do with putting in more defensively. I'm just responding to the claim that he has never won a tackle as it is not true!

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He isn't going to rediscover his form sat on the bench, There are signs from the last 3 games that he is starting to come back to some form. I am sure Johnson will look to change things up again on Saturday though, because he seems almost obsessed with having players fresh above all.

Maybe he's learnt from the burn out last year that rotation helps!

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

From your assessment I deduce you recognise a player who hides in plain sight. One who's expert at finding space between opponents, or opponent and official, such he becomes invisible to his teammates. A player who knows not how to get both feet to leave the turf. A player whose natural instinct when in open play is to dispose of the ball asap - backwards. A player, to paraphrase Wilde, not so much looking upward rather one who is fixated staring at both turf and the remnants of his career. And like every other fan at the clubs he's previously represented you doubtless recognise a player who, post a few honeymoon months, can't wait to move on.

But, as you say, what do you know?

Very good... I didn't see last night's game, but family that did see game said "Pato was not as sh1t as in recent appearances, but still largely totally ineffective".

Love to know who made the decision to reward him with a 3 year contract in the summer, goes against all our supposed ethos as we will get nothing for him when his time comes to leave.

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Patterson had a good game tonight! Not much else to say really.

Stand out was Webster, the bloke oozes class. Not seen a young defender that reads the game better since Gary Collier

High praise indeed RO!

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

When?

I just looked at the highlights and I noticed that his tackle and then darting little run started the play that led to Brownhill hitting the post. I am sure you will say that it isn't a proper tackle, but he won the ball from an opposition player which to my mind is the definition of a tackle.

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Well, it obviously didn't affect last night's result. He did ok and we got 3 points.  

We go again Saturday 

As Loon Plage points out Patterson's form and the outcome of last night's match are not correlated. What is clear is had Patterson stayed on the pitch it's highly unlikely we would have ended up with 3 points, as demonstrated by his ineffectiveness for the 84 minutes he was deployed.

38 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

As Loon Plage points out Patterson's form and the outcome of last night's match are not correlated. What is clear is had Patterson stayed on the pitch it's highly unlikely we would have ended up with 3 points, as demonstrated by his ineffectiveness for the 84 minutes he was deployed.

It's just as easy to say we didn't concede a goal during those 84 minutes too. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Also, sometimes you have to consider the quality or desire of the opposition. Hull looked pretty good in patches last night, and a point against them wouldn't have been a bad result in all honesty.

We got the win, we are 4 points off the top. We now move on to Saturday and hope for another 3 points.

1 hour ago, RedLionLad said:

It's just as easy to say we didn't concede a goal during those 84 minutes too. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Also, sometimes you have to consider the quality or desire of the opposition. Hull looked pretty good in patches last night, and a point against them wouldn't have been a bad result in all honesty.

We got the win, we are 4 points off the top. We now move on to Saturday and hope for another 3 points.

We won, which is all that matters.

However:

Patterson contributed nothing to our not conceding , not that I'd expect him to (Webster easily MoM;)

Hull looked good because we allowed them, their recent record showed nothing to suggest we shouldn't have taken them apart last night;

Despite what the table might infer we have little creativity in the middle of the park and zero cutting edge upfront;

If not for the last two, late winners we'd be at the edge of trouble and staring at a long, hard winter.

Being critical whilst winning is not negative, it shows fans care, that they want better, that they know if we fail to improve personnel and performance we will, without doubt, fall by the wayside. That's the nature of football. We've some shockingly poor players on the staff who regularly make the starting XI. It's not I dislike Patterson because he's useless and ineffective (which he is and there's not much he can do about it,) rather he keeps better and more effective players out the side and that's unforgivable. 

Archived