IGNORED

Matty Taylor (is a red)

Fordy62

Slightly embarrassed there isn’t already a thread for MT already. 

He got that ball, put his head down and ran.  Got a really decent shot off and allowed Fammy that chance. He did more in his 10 minutes than Pato has done in 9 months. He might not be prolific for us but he’s incredibly industrious and busy and at the moment you might reasonably argue that he’s our most important attacking player. 

Well done Matty. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He got that ball, put his head down and ran.  Got a really decent shot off and allowed Fammy that chance. He did more in his 10 minutes than Pato has done in 9 months. He might not be prolific for us but he’s incredibly industrious and busy and at the moment you might reasonably argue that he’s our most important attacking player. 

Well done Matty. 

Well said 

For me it’s all about how you are best effective rather than the ‘history’. Take Reid, before last year he was a midfielder who was not quite up to scratch. Move him to number 10 and he was a revelation. MT was brought in as a guy who could score 20+ in a lower league, move him to a gegenpress attacking forward, and he’ll reward you with assists and space for others. 

I don’t care how his goal scoring record looks, he’s one of the first names on my team sheet. That may surprise some, but you have to look to his indirect influence. I think he’s massively underrated and we should be tying him down to another contract asap. Given what he cost us, we aren’t going to struggle to get many times that in the current market; even from league one. 

I’ve been on this bus for a while.

As far back as Tammys season, I remember commenting how important MT was to the overall team. Every game he proved that. His desire, work rate - and yes, touch and positional sense/awareness bring so much to the team.

I firmly believe that he’s only now just getting the credit he deserves precisely because he used to play for the gas. If we’d have signed him for £300k from, say, Scunthorpe, he’d be getting credit from all areas for quite some time.

From an attacking sense, first name on the sheet for me.

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

For me it’s all about how you are best effective rather than the ‘history’. Take Reid, before last year he was a midfielder who was not quite up to scratch. Move him to number 10 and he was a revelation. MT was brought in as a guy who could score 20+ in a lower league, move him to a gegenpress attacking forward, and he’ll reward you with assists and space for others. 

I don’t care how his goal scoring record looks, he’s one of the first names on my team sheet. That may surprise some, but you have to look to his indirect influence. I think he’s massively underrated and we should be tying him down to another contract asap. Given what he cost us, we aren’t going to struggle to get many times that in the current market; even from league one. 

I reckon if selling to another Championship side we could ask for 10x what he cost us.

In today's financial climate he is a very good signing for a small amount of money and the fact we signed him from the tent dwellers makes it an even better deal, don't think he will ever score a shed load of goals but he is a very important part of the squad .

40 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surely even the Pato haters will agree he is getting better each game, I know he wasted a good chance but he control and turns were a real threat.

Let's not make him a scapegoat.

C'mon, this is OTIB.  I hold Pato personally responsible (along with LJ, naturellement) for the goals that WBA and Bolton conceded that keep us out of the play-off positions

I’ve been one of Paterson’s biggest critics for a long long time but I can realise he had a very decent game tonight, as he did against Wednesday when again he was getting pelters on here after the game.

But yes Taylor was excellent when he came on and he’s making a lot of people on here look very silly. More goals will come as long as he gets the game time.

15 minutes ago, tommytank1985 said:

Not sure if I was the only one that thought pato was again poor tonight, lost the ball several times, no end product, can’t cross, has no strength. Was not good enough for forest and it’s the same for us. 

No he was garbage. COD should start Saturday.

49 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Said it weeks ago... we are a better TEAM  with him on the pitch. Tis a fact.

100%. 

Famara is actually a bloody awful footballer, with zero intelligence and an awful touch, yet he somehow bags a few goals. 

Taylor is by far the superior footballer of the two but hasn’t been getting the goals. But we are a much much better team when Taylor is on the pitch than with Famara. 

27 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I think Taylor is our Teddy Sheringham. Don’t misunderstand me, I am not saying he is as good as Sheringham was, but he does seem to make whichever forwards he is playing with, better. 

For England, Teddy made Shearer better, I think Matty does that for Famara and Andi. 

This is the issue. Taylor like Sherringham is not a striker (At this level) but is very definitely a forward player. 

People get hung up on a word that they take to mean regular scorer. A forward will provide goals. Taylor would not have got 36 without Turner (slightly different types but you know what I mean)

Matty puts in the hard yards and Fam may be the impact sub as things stand.

Matty's work ratw is better than Fam's.

Matty is a pain in the arse for defenders and makes space and chances for his strike partner whether that is Fam or Andi 

Put bluntly, Matty shouls be starting as things stand.  That might not be the case forever, but on the basis of current contribution s, it is at the moment.

Matty Taylor is a red ?

If it wasn't for Matty Taylor we wouldn't have won that match - finally someone to come on and get the ball down and run at them. The Dolman gets a poor press but I LOVE that the loudest chant of the night from the Dolman was about Snake after we went ahead. An acknowledgement that he was central to everything we did. ?

2 hours ago, Super said:

How he should be used. He is never going to be a regular starter but really making a name for himself off the bench.

think you are wrong, but yes some players do seem to be good at that, though think if he is given a PROPER run in the team will become a real addition to our success and be remembered fondly in the years to come.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Well done Matty. 

works better with fammy aswell

6 hours ago, Harry said:

100%. 

Famara is actually a bloody awful footballer, with zero intelligence and an awful touch, yet he somehow bags a few goals. 

Taylor is by far the superior footballer of the two but hasn’t been getting the goals. But we are a much much better team when Taylor is on the pitch than with Famara. 

We could of course have both on the pitch, if only LJ had the balls to drop Weimann who has done absolutely nothing since Swansea.

Archived