IGNORED

Matty Taylor (is a red)

Fordy62

Taylor made all the difference when he came on like he so often does. He’s a really clever player and create openings nobody else seems to see. 

For me he works as hard as Weimann and he’s far more creative to boot. I’d have him starting in that no 10 role every game personally. 

8 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I reckon if selling to another Championship side we could ask for 10x what he cost us.

Not £10 million? Why make a loss on him, sorry thought they wouldn’t sell him for less than that!

He isn’t one of our best players, but he makes our team better, strikers have to be Taylor and another 

I’ve said it before but the impresssion I had of Taylor from his time at the Gas that he was a goalhanging poacher who was selfish and dived for penalties. Totally wrong. He is hardworking and intelligent, and totally unselfish. An absolute team player. I’m glad he is getting credit here for his play. We need to use him more as he clearly ruffles the opposition and gets the best out our our players.

There is just something about the guy -aside from us shafting the Sags- that’s appeals.

Can’t quite put my finger on what it is, as, for a striker his goal return has been shocking... but things just seem to ‘happen’ when he’s on. 

I just wonder whether giving him a positional ‘tweak’ could turn him from a decent player into something outstanding. Alternatively, if we could find a striker to form a partnership - seemingly neither Weimann or Fammy are that player. He’s got a bit about him just don’t think we’ve realised his full potential yet and more than anyone else in the forward line, I think he could be pivotal to our future fortunes. 

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Patterson did well tonight....However that should not take away from the thrust of your comments....Taylor is becoming a talisman....Love it!

Was basically going to say this, I wont take away from Taylor's contribution I really like him but Pato was much better tonight than the (limited) showings I've seen of him lately and judging by posts on here

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

There is just something about the guy -aside from us shafting the Sags- that’s appeals.

Can’t quite put my finger on what it is, as, for a striker his goal return has been shocking... but things just seem to ‘happen’ when he’s on. 

I just wonder whether giving him a positional ‘tweak’ could turn him from a decent player into something outstanding. He’s got a bit about him but just don’t think we’ve realised his full potential yet. 

I think he'll forever be a bit of a cult hero for the "Sag-Shafting" as you call it and the assist against United. I wouldnt say he could do no wrong but he's definitely won over a lot of people very quickly

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Slightly embarrassed there isn’t already a thread for MT already. 

He got that ball, put his head down and ran.  Got a really decent shot off and allowed Fammy that chance. He did more in his 10 minutes than Pato has done in 9 months. He might not be prolific for us but he’s incredibly industrious and busy and at the moment you might reasonably argue that he’s our most important attacking player. 

Well done Matty. 

Before seeing this post I added this to the Matty & Fammy post.

I think Matty with either would rattle most teams, his work ethic is second to none imo. In saying that we really need a striker (any of them) to step up & put away the chances being made. Perhaps Fammy will get up to speed after last nights vital goal.

As for Matty Taylor :clap:

10 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surely even the Pato haters will agree he is getting better each game, I know he wasted a good chance but he control and turns were a real threat.

Let's not make him a scapegoat.

I am not a hater but Paterson was imho poor again last night, we are a weaker team with him playing.

To be fair take away the Diedhiou goal and he was equally as poor.

We played well last night and deserved our win, it’s the final third of the pitch that we struggle in, we slow it down, take wrong options, our delivery was poor and our strikers do not always take up the best positions. We do not take full advantage of very good positions.

In short we lack that midfielder with that little bit extra to unlock defences.

Paterson weakens us, I would far rather see Taylor in that position, he is not the complete answer but is a far better option imho.

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The fact he came from The gas is irrelevant to me, there is something about him. Love Matty Taylor and I don't know why :city:

I love the fact he came from the gas, he’s paid his transfer fee 10 fold just for the comic value

7 hours ago, pillred said:

think you are wrong, but yes some players do seem to be good at that, though think if he is given a PROPER run in the team will become a real addition to our success and be remembered fondly in the years to come.

My only problem with that is his lack of goals. Our midfield dont score many and now we are without Flints goals so its mainly down to the front players in this team.

Pato had a poor first half but much better second half. Your point regarding Taylor is spot on, he is a menace and defenders hate him. Traditionally defenders do not like attackers running at them, that's what Matty does and creates space elsewhere, he was a steal at £300K.

I've always wondered about whether playing Taylor just behind the striker- more fluidity with Weimann, sort of like Paterson and Reid last year.

Him and Weimann- and I know Weimann is not doing well currently- but on paper, they can dovetail nicely, more so than Diedhiou and that's before we even get onto the intense workrate of both.

@Moor2Sea His goal return may be below par for a striker, but factor in assists and it doesn't look quite as bad.

The Team is far more dynamic when Taylor is on the pitch , Yes he's not the most prolific striker but sometimes its not what you do with the ball its what you do without it ! , Taylor runs the channels very well pulls defenders all over the park which creates a massive amount of space for the other players . He is a constant pain in the arse for anyone marking him covers every blade of grass. He is far more industrious than most . Always encouraging his team mates and comes back in play to make himself available particularly from throw ins . With the ball he is a very intelligent player and links up well with the midfield (wouldn't of beaten Man Utd without his clever flick over the top) also uses his chest well with another assist in a recent home game. He is far more skilful than I gave him credit for.  You need to play the ball into the channels and let him use his pace where he is most effective, There is no merit in the high ball to him as it will not stick . How does Marley Watkins get on the pitch in front of him ?

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Patterson did well tonight....However that should not take away from the thrust of your comments....Taylor is becoming a talisman....Love it!

A great asset for the team. Seems to relish coming on as a 'super-sub' and I worry that playing him for 90mins might not work to the same effect.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am not a hater but Paterson was imho poor again last night, we are a weaker team with him playing.

To be fair take away the Diedhiou goal and he was equally as poor.

We played well last night and deserved our win, it’s the final third of the pitch that we struggle in, we slow it down, take wrong options, our delivery was poor and our strikers do not always take up the best positions. We do not take full advantage of very good positions.

In short we lack that midfielder with that little bit extra to unlock defences.

Paterson weakens us, I would far rather see Taylor in that position, he is not the complete answer but is a far better option imho.

Diedhou played well last night . 

He was always available , good hold up and link up play ,  covered the defence , ran for the cause and was still in the box to notch a poacher's goal , other than that " he was poor ".

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The fact he came from The gas is irrelevant to me, there is something about him. Love Matty Taylor and I don't know why :city:

To me it doesn't matter where he came from, I think it's his tireless work rate & ability to unsettle the oposition.

3 hours ago, Super said:

My only problem with that is his lack of goals. Our midfield dont score many and now we are without Flints goals so its mainly down to the front players in this team.

it's a real shame the goal he scored at Brentford which was onside wasn't given, would have given him a real boost, could see him getting a few once he scores as with most forwards confidence is key.

2 hours ago, Gratbot said:

@GrahamC & @Davefevs nowhere to be seen ?

I know I make a lot of posts, but I didn’t realise it was mandatory to post on every post?  Sorry to disappoint you. ?

If you’re so worried about my view you could check whether I reacted to posts on this thread. You’ll see I liked some, so felt no need to duplicate what others have written. 

You might want to read all my posts since pre-season where I’ve been pretty complimentary. You may also see that I would have wanted him to start last night. 

You might want to see my ratings posts too:

I never / rarely hold a fixed view on any of our players. Their form and ability changes over time.  I reflect my views on their performances. Even last season during our poor run I actually thought Taylor’s absence was a factor, not being able to come onto and be a pest for the final 25 minutes (if not starting). We missed that. 

Perhaps you need to update your opinion of my opinion of MT?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps you need to update your opinion of my opinion of MT?

Quite possibly. For whatever reason in my mind there were two serial MT doubters/bashers which were you and Graham.

Either I've had you down as the wrong person all along or you saw the light at some point along the way. 

4 minutes ago, Gratbot said:

Quite possibly. For whatever reason in my mind there were two serial MT doubters/bashers which were you and Graham.

Either I've had you down as the wrong person all along or you saw the light at some point along the way. 

No, you are right. I wouldn’t call myself a serial basher, but I was critical of his first 12 months here. 

I saw the light. Actually he’s improved during his time here  

Praise the lord!!!!! ?

Archived