IGNORED

So many positives

And Its Smith

Amazed how doom and gloom the match day thread is tonight. So many positives to be taken from that game. Hull have got good players and played very well but we deserved the win

Positives:

Max O’Leary - looks so assured and composed. Superb save and great distribution 

Adam Webster - an absolute rock. Best individual centre back 90 mins since some of Caulkers displays

Formation change mid game - Johnson saw a change was needed and made it. Shows he can affect games 

Josh Brownhill - back to his very best

First half interplay, angles and movement - a joy to watch at times. Such clever movement espeically from Paterson who was on it first half. 

Not missing Bryan or Flint - who would have thought it. We have more than enough cover to not miss two of our best players last season

Diedhiou when up on his own - much better from him than when playing with someone else and got a goal which will give him confidence.

Never say die attitude and another clean sheet!

add your positives below!

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Amazed how doom and gloom the match day thread is tonight. So many positives to be taken from that game. Hull have got good players and played very well but we deserved the win

Positives:

Adam Webster - an absolute rock. Best individual centre back 90 mins since some of Caulkers displays

Formation change mid game - Johnson saw a change was needed and made it. Shows he can affect games 

First half interplay, angles and movement - a joy to watch at times. Such clever movement espeically from Paterson who was on it first half. 

Not missing Bryan or Flint - who would have thought it. We have more than enough cover to not miss two of our best players last season

Diedhiou when up on his own - much better from him than when playing with someone else and got a goal which will give him confidence.

Don’t agree.

I know what Brownhill is capable of but apart from his shot that hit the post, I thought he had another poor game. Gave the ball away too often, as did a few of them.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t agree.

I know what Brownhill is capable of but apart from his shot that hit the post, I thought he had another poor game. Gave the ball away too often, as did a few of them.

First half he was driving the team on. Making angles, spoting runs.

Funny how apparantly so many gave ball away tonight yet our pass completion was over 80%

Totally agree with this, except Brownhill who nearly made me eat my words midway through the first half... I was telling the chap next to me how poor he'd been, and pretty anonymous, before he pinged it off the post!! 

Don't get down too often, but saw Forest and Boro and this was much much better, even if the opposition were poor. The interplay and passing was lovely at times, and that ball from Max out to Eliasson was awesome, the touch from him was even better. Lovely bit of play. He was my MoM, every time he got the ball their full back looked scared. 

Granted we could be more clinical up top, but we're creating a lot and on another day we're a couple ahead at half time I reckon. 

A good evening out if you ask me! We're just outside the playoffs, the bad run is over after only a few games, it's looking good for a comfortable mid table Championship season with a playoff push perhaps, happy days :)

36 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Positives:

Dave - Read my Ratings thread....we seem to be saying the same things!!

I don’t think Brownhill was back to his best, but he gave a much improved performance 

People have said how poor Hull were but I thought they played some nice stuff at times. Bowen looked dangerous, as did Irvine and Grosicki. Elphick was a rock at the back for them. They got in our faces and closed us down early so all in all, i reckon we did just fine. ? 

12 hours ago, Super said:

They certainly had the better chances. Still we will take the win.

Were we watching the same game? They had chances and some good ones but so did we. Their keeper pulled of an equally if not better save  than Max's in the second half plus 3 or 4 others. We hit the post. Also had two headers cleared from the goal line or near it.

12 hours ago, RedDave said:

I do agree that it was nice to see, and I am a fan of the short passing game; but at the same time I think we were guilty of trying to overplay it sometimes, especially in the final third of the pitch, where more often that not we seemed to be trying to play it into the net where it was occasionally crying out for a shot to be let loose.

6 minutes ago, Big C said:

Their keeper pulled of an equally if not better save  than Max's in the second half 

Admittedly I haven't seen the replay yet, but in real time, the save from Marshall you're referring to looked world class.

12 hours ago, Super said:

Did we really deserve the win? Hull were so wasteful all night just before the winner Campbell missed a free header to win the game.  

In the absence of a complete fluke or wrongly disallowed goal, I'm always of the belief that the team that scores the most goals deserves to win the game.  Taking chances is just as important an aspect of a team's overall quality as creating them.  If they failed to convert the header then they have not demonstrated the quality necessary to win the match.

If it was the other way around and City had been the ones failing to convert the chances, I suspect there would have been little sympathy and the familiar (and correct) complaint that "if you don't take your chances you don't deserve to win the game".

I don't think we had a great game. For much of the match we were decidly ragged and misplaced as many passes as we made.

Luckily Hull couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. 9 points for them this season tells its own tale.

We got a bit more into it when the visitors started to settle for 1 point and sat off.

And of course, the belated introduction of Taylor was the turning point.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think we had a great game. For much of the match we were decidly ragged and misplaced as many passes as we made.

Luckily Hull couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. 9 points for them this season tells its own tale.

We got a bit more into it when the visitors started to settle for 1 point and sat off.

And of course, the belated introduction of Taylor was the turning point.

80% pass completion suggests we didnt misplace as many as we made.

Agreed Taylor should have come on a lot sooner

Da Silva: Apart from the first few minutes, I thought he was excellent reminded my of Danny Rose (as he is now).

I really like Taylor and his attitude to his game.

One negative was that we gave the ball away too often and sometimes without being under pressure at the time. RD mentioned an 80% pass completion but if that is correct then some of the 20% we gave away could have put in us in deep sh!te against a better team. This has happened quite a lot this season in the games I've seen.

That said, an excellent result and we played some nice crisp stuff at times.

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I did say "for much of the match" not "for all the match".

We had a decent first 15 minutes and then seemed to really come apart. Hull were having a corner every few minutes and it seemed the momentum had swung their way.

We improved in the second, after a torrid first 5 minutes, but largely i fet because Hull were playing for a draw and happy to let us have more time on the ball.

18 hours ago, Super said:

Did we really deserve the win? Hull were so wasteful all night just before the winner Campbell missed a free header to win the game.  

I think you could say both teams were wasteful as well as both keepers making one outstanding save each 

Over 97 minutes we deserved the win just, but only because Hull tried spoiling the game 2nd half and wasting time. If they had kept playing then they may have got something from the game but deserved what they got - 0 points

15 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think you could say both teams were wasteful as well as both keepers making one outstanding save each 

Over 97 minutes we deserved the win just, but only because Hull tried spoiling the game 2nd half and wasting time. If they had kept playing then they may have got something from the game but deserved what they got - 0 points

They didn't mess about so much during the last four minutes ?

6 hours ago, Big C said:

Were we watching the same game? They had chances and some good ones but so did we. Their keeper pulled of an equally if not better save  than Max's in the second half plus 3 or 4 others. We hit the post. Also had two headers cleared from the goal line or near it.

XG:

BC5919FF-DC00-4E99-8F0B-25895A1FEF8B.thumb.jpeg.a1cc8741ebe06da69c81811fd0c7a0e7.jpeg

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I did say "for much of the match" not "for all the match".

We had a decent first 15 minutes and then seemed to really come apart. Hull were having a corner every few minutes and it seemed the momentum had swung their way.

We improved in the second, after a torrid first 5 minutes, but largely i fet because Hull were playing for a draw and happy to let us have more time on the ball.

I think what made it look bad, was where we gave the ball away, and sometimes how easy a pass it looked....rather than the amount.  A pass given away in their corner flag gets less reaction than Max’s intercepted pass in the second half, which got a few expletives from my part of the ground.

18 hours ago, RedDave said:

Positives:

I'll try and play, although a clearly poor performance deserves criticism as much as the win deserves praise.

Max has done brilliantly, some shocking distribution on maybe 3 occasions but obviously under instruction, and Hull cut off the short pass well. One very good stop, has caught more than FF has done in the previous 3 years. Good kicking and tries for a long pass rather than punt, and cleared up a through ball with a header at left back.

Kalas looks solid and Webster is streets ahead of Flint as a footballer , just needs to add goals.

NE is looking a real threat, and if FD gets his Mojo back from last year and becomes a presence in the box again goals will come.

DaSilva (apart from the missed challenge seconds from the start) looks very good. Better than Kelly going forward, but then I think Kelly will end up CB.

Tough one this next one, I am not a Taylor fan. He's busy, annoying , fairly direct , wants to get shots off and takes up good positions at times. Made a difference last night , what Weimann should was supposed to be, maybe will be.

23 minutes ago, INCRED said:

It's not the saves that worried me, it's the misses. Twice Max either has amazing spacial awareness, or he had given up on it as the ball past by the post. Missed headers and the save Max made early on he should not have been given a chance with. I think we may just have shaded it, just , but only just. I though their movement was good and they had runners braking on our back four throughout, specially first half. 
For the injury that miraculously healed, to the return of the ball as a throw which they then closed down, I think we deserved it. Time wasting is annoying, but part of the game, and something we could do with employing better ourselves, although ODowda is brilliant at it with his dribbles.

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Many or much of the 80% would be in our own half, and as someone else said the miss placed passes stood out as more often than not, they lead to a Hull break. It's the same as the pass from BF to CB easy and safe or the through ball to a striker on goal, both passes but very different . 
As for Taylor, I don't think many would have complained if LJ would have brought him on at half time, for either Weimann or Fam.

Archived