IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly - England Under 21 dropped tonight

NickJ

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Suspect he was rested / rotated, rather than dropped.  He’s featured in pretty much every game, is 20, and needs to be managed carefully.

Yes mate the sort of answer I would expect as it is the answer. Just don't get it. We as fans are paying top wages for 2 England Under 21 left backs, one to play one to keep the bench warm?

While some fans have to pick and choose their games as they can't afford to go every week?

The world has gone mad the football world has gone madder.

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

Why?

He isn't an under 21 international, he's an U20 international, it may seem a small distinction, but it emphasises how young he is. We had a very young goalkeeper in too, making his home debut so I can understand LJ wanting to play the most experienced defence in front of him that he could. It could also be argued that at home Da Silva carries more of an attacking threat without being a detriment to our defensive ability.

Pretty sure we’ll see Kelly, COD and Taylor start on sat. Last season we burnt players out by Christmas - this  is the reason personally I think LJ is rotating it a bit on midweek/weeekend weeks 

13 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Pretty sure we’ll see Kelly, COD and Taylor start on sat. Last season we burnt players out by Christmas - this  is the reason personally I think LJ is rotating it a bit on midweek/weeekend weeks 

It's what he did in the League Cup run, until injuries reduced his options and the burn out began. As long as we win people don't mention the changes.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

He isn't an under 21 international, he's an U20 international, it may seem a small distinction, but it emphasises how young he is. We had a very young goalkeeper in too, making his home debut so I can understand LJ wanting to play the most experienced defence in front of him that he could. It could also be argued that at home Da Silva carries more of an attacking threat without being a detriment to our defensive ability.

First bit could be argued but you can't get away with the second bit.  Not playing Lloyd is going to be a detriment to our defence.  Da Silva getting caught early last night showed the difference. Lloyd is a class act.  I can see why he was rested though.  I hope he comes back in against Stoke.

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

Yes mate the sort of answer I would expect as it is the answer. Just don't get it. We as fans are paying top wages for 2 England Under 21 left backs, one to play one to keep the bench warm?

While some fans have to pick and choose their games as they can't afford to go every week?

I think you've gone mad...

We didn't know Kelly was going to be an Under 20 (not 21) international when we signed Da Silva. They both have a role to play, Kelly is young and needs to be managed he's still learning and I'd imagine its a steep step up in terms of fitness and strain on the body to jump into mens first team football this year

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

Before the start of the season Kelly had made 11 league appearances. He's already made 10 this season.

Surely you can see we were never going to go into the season with a 19 year old lad who'd only made a handful of starts as our only left back in the squad? Of course we needed cover!

If Lloyd can get 30-35 starts under his belt this season it will have been a great season for him, without the risk of over playing him and him burning out. That will be no good for him nor us!

And on wages don't forget we sold Magnússon, who i'm sure would be on a fair bit more that Da Silva's costing us.

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

These players are near the  top of a very well profession, I doubt the majority of us are at the top end of the pay scale in our jobs, if we were we’d be up with the prawn sandwich brigade. 

Lloyd is no doubt quality and hungry for games but he needs to be managed correctly so he reaches his full potential - hopefully with us, at least for a while. 

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

This doesn’t make sense. You seem to be advocating we either play 2 players at left back in the same starting 11 or that we only have 1 left back in the club to save money?  

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

Bad night for you??  No Lloyd Kelly, had to pay too much for your coffee, and then had to use lots and lots of plastic tubs to get all the milk you want.

Meanwhile, we're still challenging for a play-off place, we have more strength in depth than last year (this allows us to rest players, which is undoubtedly a good thing), and those who cannot get to every match have more opportunities than ever to watch games online instead.

If that's the definition of madness, then bring it on ...

38 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Agree with this...Our weakness is central midfield and we need to get better in January

thats been the weakness in the side since we got promoted,

We need barry bannon and we need to break the bank to get him,

put him in this side and we'll get promoted, I have no doubts about it

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

"We as fans" aren't paying a penny for either of their wages. That credit has to go to SL.

Also, have you never heard of squad depth? Arguably our undoing over recent seasons.

Though I do have sympathy for your view on fans being priced out. Given the relatively small contribution gate receipts make to a clubs income these days, it would be nice to see cheaper tickets.

12 hours ago, NickJ said:

As a paying fan I expect the Manager to manage our young players correctly. Whilst I don’t advocate the bingo ball selection at times you have to consider the level these lads have been chucked into.

You can argue these lads are on £5-10k per week and should be fit but there is a difference between “fit” and being fully match sharp at Championship level. You only need to be as little as 5% off full physical and mental sharpness  to cost the team points in this league.

So if the Manager believes a young kid needs a rest then I think we have to go with that because he knows them a lot better than we do.

He wasn't dropped; he was rested to avoid burn out. Bear in mind he a played two games during the international break whilst the rest didn't. Da Silva also played during the international break but has not played as many matches as Lloyd during the first part of the season. A sensible move by LJ in my opinion. 

Archived