I ain't happy with games on the red button option

Never to the dark side

There were seven Championship games this mid week

and on both nights, the games were up against Champions league games

one game was equal with last season.

just one game was an increase in attendance

five games recorded a fall

and Leeds recorded a fall of 5,000.

Now let me say I have no objection to the red button option its just we need to do something to arrest this decline.

Shorter distance to travel would be a good option

that would not cost anything

reduce ticket prices might be an option

free transport

I better not say increase the subscription although it's still free if you have Sky.

We only have one midweek away fixture between now and the end of the season at Ipswich in a few weeks time

5 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

There were seven Championship games this mid week

and on both nights, the games were up against Champions league games

one game was equal with last season.

just one game was an increase in attendance

five games recorded a fall

and Leeds recorded a fall of 5,000.

Now let me say I have no objection to the red button option its just we need to do something to arrest this decline.

Shorter distance to travel would be a good option

that would not cost anything

reduce ticket prices might be an option

free transport

I better not say increase the subscription although it's still free if you have Sky.

We only have one midweek away fixture between now and the end of the season at Ipswich in a few weeks time

I think this is the start of bigger things to come. With the announcement that at least premier league level you dont need any attendance to make a profit, I see most clubs exploring and exploiting the on line attendance as a way to supplement match day revenue. 

Of course it will have an impact to some extent on attendance, especially those who have to travel some distance to be to the stadium. It is a fine tightrope that the club will have to walk to maximise revenue versus the drop in actual attendance, but I reckon the red button and BCTV is only in its infancy. 

Im a season ticket holder and have been for years but last nights game I had to miss as I was working in the midlands and couldn’t get to the Gate in time. I barely got home to Gloucester in time, but decided to buy BCTV for a tenner to watch the match. As normally I would pay 15 quid on petrol, a tenner for parking and a couple,of quid on a coffee I was actually in credit last night. 

Would I sacrifice the emotion, atmosphere and live experience for a season ticket for internet streaming? As long as my finances allow probably no, but the club should at least look at the possibility of on line UK based season tickets. No one knows how this will pan out, but it’s interesting time.

after saying all this, the club will need to look at the lagging, buffering problem on BCTV. I have really high speed internet but it was constantly lagging last night....

It’s not the fault of Sky.

It’s the fault of the “random fixture generator”, the evidence as requested me Lord;

City v Hull

Millwall v Wigan

QPR v Sheff Weds

Preston v Brentford

Leeds v Ipswich

Not being funny but even without the evil Sky red button of doom, those fixtures for midweek games are pretty poor. The EFL should be looking at that and trying to take it into account when scheduling.

Then again, even by switching those kind of games to weekend there’s no guarantee more would travel I guess? 

12 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

It’s not the fault of Sky.

It’s the fault of the “random fixture generator”, the evidence as requested me Lord;

City v Hull

Millwall v Wigan

QPR v Sheff Weds

Preston v Brentford

Leeds v Ipswich

Not being funny but even without the evil Sky red button of doom, those fixtures for midweek games are pretty poor. The EFL should be looking at that and trying to take it into account when scheduling.

Then again, even by switching those kind of games to weekend there’s no guarantee more would travel I guess? 

It’s crazy isn’t it. We played Brentford on Saturday and Preston were at Hull. Last night Hull came to us and Brentford had to go to Preston. If the Saturday fixtures were played last night  and the longer journeys kept for a Saturday both sets of fans could have cut their journey times in half. Ok it worked out better for us to be away on Saturday and home last night but for other fans it didn’t. 

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

The EFL are aware of a fall in attendances since the games were available on the red button.

The press are monitoring it. A couple of national newspapers have already published a fairly lengthy story. 

Have you got a link to those articles?

Tbh, I’m not convinced that the red button makes much impact on the fall in attendances. To access it you need a Sky subscription and the actual coverage isn’t that good although better than listening on the radio.

Last nights lower attendance at AG was largely down to so few away fans. Hull is a good 5 or 6 hours away and that’s difficult for away fan for an evening match. I doubt those that did travel down didnt get back to the early hours. As NTTDS says travelling to away night matches should be a a short a distance as possible.

Cant see it happening tho...

And as for the red button. We haven’t seen how the bad weather on a cold February evening will affect the games yet. There were never 200 plus Hull fans there last night, can’t have even covered the cost of stewarding them. 

Interesting isn’t it. Maybe also has something to do with the price of tickets.

For existing  basic TV Sky subscribers, adding just the ‘Championship’ football option over the last 5 odd weeks has cost around £30. Think that’s delivered me about 6 live City games. That’s £5 per match. 

While a couple of those I feel I should have been paid to watch, I still don’t think that’s a bad deal.

50 minutes ago, gl1 said:

but the club should at least look at the possibility of on line UK based season tickets. 

I'd probably get one of those. Living in London I get to maybe one home game a season. Normally the boxing day game. Then of course I go to QPR, Brentford, Millwall, Watford, Brighton, Reading if possible. 

I've paid the tenner a couple of times this season. It's not been bad, the commentary is a bit amateurish, not a patch on what you get from BBC or Sky, but I've had no issues with the stream itself.

Definitely would prefer buying a specific Bristol City online package over a generic sky package. Money to the club is always good, perhaps it could give you one home match ticket as well? Would be a good sign of the in at least thinking a little of its non-bristol based fans.

When it's a choice of watching something for free or being charged £33 a ticket you can see why people would choose the red button.

If ticket prices were more reasonably priced (£20 - 20 is plenty) then i'm sure attendances wouldn't suffer quite so bad.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

It’s crazy isn’t it. We played Brentford on Saturday and Preston were at Hull. Last night Hull came to us and Brentford had to go to Preston. If the Saturday fixtures were played last night  and the longer journeys kept for a Saturday both sets of fans could have cut their journey times in half. Ok it worked out better for us to be away on Saturday and home last night but for other fans it didn’t. 

I'm sure The Football League a year or so ago made it their aim to make the midweek games the ones that were further in distance to try and make the weekend games closer so more fans would attend.

Yes here's the link https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/efl-chief-admits-conscious-scheduling-11284376

There's a few reasons why Hull's away attendance was so low.

• Hull is a very long way- and not the richest area.
  • Wednesday night.
  • They are struggling badly in the League.
  • The owners- there's been problems there for a while, their home attendances have certainly declined since these issues arose. Same would go for away attendances I guess.

However the red button of course plays a part. Something to monitor IMO.

This is being looked at in the wrong way. People watching live AT the game has fallen but the viewing audience has massively increased.

We think of the church as behind the times, but they have embraced this new technology. A local vicar told me that attendances have fallen at his Sunday Service since it was available on the red button on The God Channel, he used to get average gates of 320 but this has decreased to 175 since the option to watch at home came to pass. However, he now knows that about 6,500 souls are viewing his efforts and thus he is spreading the word of God to a bigger congregation which means he can also increase sponsorship packages for the font, front pews and his personal Bible etc.

Surely, the object of any entertainment is to perform before the biggest audience it can possibly generate.

The people who go regularly are still going to go regularly. 

However it's the undecided fans... Those that decide on the day or are umming and ahing about it that are going to drop off. It's a lot easier to decide not to go when you can still watch the game from your sofa. 

I'm in two minds about it. I don't like seeing drops in attendences but i can never make week night fixtures at the gate so they are a blessing for me personally. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, reformed_red said:

I mention this every time this debate comes up, teams have been noted as saying they request long distance matches in a midweek as it saves on the expense of staying overnight before the game they travel down on the morning and then back home through the night - rubbish for supporters but then in this day and age I would guess a large % of any teams following come from other places than the City the club are based in

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Have you got a link to those articles?

Tbh, I’m not convinced that the red button makes much impact on the fall in attendances. To access it you need a Sky subscription and the actual coverage isn’t that good although better than listening on the radio.

Last nights lower attendance at AG was largely down to so few away fans. Hull is a good 5 or 6 hours away and that’s difficult for away fan for an evening match. I doubt those that did travel down didnt get back to the early hours. As NTTDS says travelling to away night matches should be a a short a distance as possible.

Cant see it happening tho...

What do you drive? A bloody tractor?

Up and back takes around 7 hours.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'd probably get one of those. Living in London I get to maybe one home game a season. Normally the boxing day game. Then of course I go to QPR, Brentford, Millwall, Watford, Brighton, Reading if possible. 

I've paid the tenner a couple of times this season. It's not been bad, the commentary is a bit amateurish, not a patch on what you get from BBC or Sky, but I've had no issues with the stream itself.

Definitely would prefer buying a specific Bristol City online package over a generic sky package. Money to the club is always good, perhaps it could give you one home match ticket as well? Would be a good sign of the in at least thinking a little of its non-bristol based fans.

You’re exactly the kind of supporter who I would aim an online season ticket at. Exiled, can only get to one or two games, but would be willing to stump up for an online season pass.  Dropping prices at AG isn’t going to get you there more often, but the club could tap into hundreds of exiled, work away, family tied, or physically unable. My brother suffers from agoraphobia but I’m sure would jump at the chance of an online season ticket.

out of interest what would you consider a fair price for a full online season ticket? 

11 minutes ago, gl1 said:

You’re exactly the kind of supporter who I would aim an online season ticket at. Exiled, can only get to one or two games, but would be willing to stump up for an online season pass.  Dropping prices at AG isn’t going to get you there more often, but the club could tap into hundreds of exiled, work away, family tied, or physically unable. My brother suffers from agoraphobia but I’m sure would jump at the chance of an online season ticket.

out of interest what would you consider a fair price for a full online season ticket? 

I may be misunderstanding what you mean by online season ticket, but you can already opt to pay £110 for a season's "pass" on BCTV (or £12.50 pm)… 

Archived