IGNORED

Max

Port Said Red

Yea a bit of miscommunication on that one. Looked to me like they had worked on a few things between max and defense/midfield. Thought like Brentford it was a solid performance. Not much to do but didn’t make a meal out of any situations. Similar to Maenpaa for me as in nothing spectacular(ok his save at the start was quite good) but handles everything that comes at him. Think Maenpaa should come back in but I would not rush him back

Forget his age and experience and going by performance, he doesn't look out of place as a Championship GK. 

I'd actually want to continue between the sticks from now on. Looks assured and his distribution and general accuracy is better than what we have elsewhere. 

Why not.,..

Two decent clean sheets so far in the Championship should set his confidence soaring.  I wasn't at the game last night, but on highlights that save looked world class.  Well done, Max.  And also, pretty awesome to have another academy keeper on the bench for another game.  Those two young keepers must be pretty special to be trusted at such a high level.

Think we're seeing the real fruit of the academy pathway. Anyone who had watched a City academy side play will notice the similarities between the way our max plays.

He hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Up to niki and ff to dislodge him now.

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

If all 3 of Fielding, Maenpaa and Max are fit, as they will be soon, who starts, who’s on the bench and who misses out altogether? 

Fielding misses out. It’s up to him to get his place back because Maenpaa and O’Leary have looked good.

My personal view would be that whilst Mäenpää and Fielding have their strengths, and both appear to be adequate goalkeepers at our level, Max has got his chance now and he should be allowed to continue in the role given his performances.

We clearly tried to replace Fielding in the summer, and there have been doubts about him for some time I feel, as he's been in and out in previous seasons. Mäenpää I feel was only ever meant to be back-up. Fielding is 30, Mäenpää 33 - Not 'old' for goalkeepers really, but equally, it is probably fair to say that Max's development is on the up at 22 whereas we probably know what we will get from the other two and they're unlikely to improve massively. Max could go on to be far better than both of them if he gets games and develops, so why play two older goalkeepers who might hold him back and we know we have wanted to replace previously?

Obviously if Max started to feel the pressure or came into bad form, we would have to think about taking him out of the spotlight for a few games, and we would have adequate back-up to do that, but for now, I say give him the gloves. What haven't got a lot to lose, and potentially a lot to gain.

It would also show those in a similar position in the academy that there's a clear pathway and that if something opens up for you and you grasp it with two hands, you can hold your place. 

always liked max and he's always done well out on loan,

This could be his big break, I'd still like to watch him for a few more games but on the two showings so far, he's the best of the 3,

but he still needs a good run of games before we hail him as the new John Shaw

LJs post match comments on Max can be summarised as;

If we win and we keep clean sheets then he stays in!

It's his to lose now, okay, we won't win every game and we will concede goals, but for now it sounds like LJ is reassured by his performances and is probably glad he didn't try for an emergency loan.

In sixty eight years of supporting City, Max could be only the second youth/academy goalkeeper apart from Ray Cashley to make the breakthrough to regular first team selection.

I'm aware that Sullivan, Morgan and Cook, the keepers in the early fifties were Downs League recruits. And Phillips came from Paulton.

O'Leary could be very hard to dislodge if he continues as he has started.

He's clearly capable but he will have a bad game sooner or later and that will be a test for him. If he loses form and the senior keepers are unavailable then we could have a problem.

I'm not comparing the two in terms of ability, but I remember Steve Phillips having some very encouraging early games, which he followed up with some nightmare performances. That might have been down to Pulis slating him in public, though. Johnson will need to treat O'Leary as carefully as he is able.

Max has done really well in the two games so far. Coming for crosses, shot stopping and distribution have all been good considering he's only played two senior games for us.

Personally, I believe that we signed Maenpaa on a short term deal in the summer and not another keeper on a long deal as we see Max as the long term solution in goal for us. 

Maybe the thoughts were that this season was a little too soon in his development, hence the Maenpaa signing for a year, but he has certainly done well enough to keep the shirt for the time being. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Forget his age and experience and going by performance, he doesn't look out of place as a Championship GK. 

I'd actually want to continue between the sticks from now on. Looks assured and his distribution and general accuracy is better than what we have elsewhere. 

Why not.,..

Agree ...his shirt to lose now as far as i am concerned...

10 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Max has done really well in the two games so far. Coming for crosses, shot stopping and distribution have all been good considering he's only played two senior games for us.

Personally, I believe that we signed Maenpaa on a short term deal in the summer and not another keeper on a long deal as we see Max as the long term solution in goal for us. 

Maybe the thoughts were that this season was a little too soon in his development, hence the Maenpaa signing for a year, but he has certainly done well enough to keep the shirt for the time being. 

Allegedly O'Leary was going in the summer to a Scottish Prem team but only signed a contract and remained because Fielding got injured. 

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Allegedly O'Leary was going in the summer to a Scottish Prem team but only signed a contract and remained because Fielding got injured. 

not even close to the truth, he was going to go out on loan to a league one club but that was cancelled due to franks injury, we were always bringing another keeper in,

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Too early to say for sure, but I'd look to sell Frankie and keep O'Leary in the side, and bring in Maenpaa if Max has a couple of dodgy games. But either Max or Maenpaa I'm happy with. I loved it near the end when he charged out the box to head clear for a throw in. I expect Frankie and maybe Maenpaa would have stayed back, and Dasilva would have been in big trouble. 

I was going to mention this myself. I am certain neither of our other two keepers would have done this.

Archived