IGNORED

Max

Port Said Red

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

What impressed me was his eagerness to spot runners and get us breaking on them when he got his hands on the ball. Don’t think NM or Frankie are as quick to put us on the front foot

Agreed...in fact FF is the complete opposite, takes a complete age to distribute or get the ball back in play.

Max plays like a modern keeper...one who is just as good with his feet as he is with his hands.

Eager to pass the ball to a player, rather than a huge punt that's made 50/50...even his long balls are actually aimed at one of our players.

He's obviously under instruction to play a certain way and pick the pass...otherwise he would be told to stop. It's a great advantage.

We did miss a trick last night though.

When Max had the ball, we had two full backs and a CB all come back to receive the ball, either wide or in the middle. When Hull pushed up and marked these players, he then ushered everyone up into the 'zone'...where he punted up to make it a 50/50 ball instead.

What we missed was the massive whole left in midfield when the three Hull players pushed up. There was so much space, yet no one dropped to receive the ball in that space. Watch Man City...they do this often when the opposition push up. Their GK will have two midfielders drop into that space, where he will deliver a long pass too. It's simple but very effective, and takes three off the opposition out of the game.

It's the one thing that Matty Taylor and Weimann do well...coming to collect the ball. Something young Elliason needs to improve on. It often leaves Hunt with no pass on, as he always gets to look for a ball over the top off the last shoulder. Sometimes he needs to drop to receive the pass...to create the triangle or make space for someone else.

Poor old Hunt got stuck last night for a couple misplaced passes, all because he was put under pressure with no option on...all because Elliason chose to go the wrong way.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Max plays like a modern keeper...one who is just as good with his feet as he is with his hands.

He's obviously under instruction to play a certain way and pick the pass...otherwise he would be told to stop. It's a great advantage.

When Max had the ball, we had two full backs and a CB all come back to receive the ball, either wide or in the middle. When Hull pushed up and marked these players, he then ushered everyone up into the 'zone'...where he punted up to make it a 50/50 ball instead.

What we missed was the massive whole left in midfield when the three Hull players pushed up. There was so much space, yet no one dropped to receive the ball in that space. Watch Man City...they do this often when the opposition push up. Their GK will have two midfielders drop into that space, where he will deliver a long pass too. It's simple but very effective, and takes three off the opposition out of the game.

Wasn't their first leg equaliser in the League Cup (De Bruyne) against us scored in exactly that manner?

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Still yet to see him tested aerially. 

I did think he was a bit static at corners last night, almost stuck to his line.

Apart from that he looks very assured and confident for someone playing at this level for the first time. Decision making around distribution is very good as well.

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I have seen posts on here from those who follow our youth teams closely, who seem to think he is not even the best of the 'keepers coming through, which if true is very exciting.

I think Alhaji Sesay is the one people rate highest, may be wrong though.

He's only a just turned 20 mind!

On 25/10/2018 at 08:43, El Hombrecito said:

He's a proper sweeper keeper isn't he. Always running in to space when the defense have the ball to give them an extra option, and very quick off his line. 

Early days, but so far I'm impressed.

That’s something i’ll Look out for.  Good spot.

On 25/10/2018 at 09:49, Coxy27 said:

My personal view would be that whilst Mäenpää and Fielding have their strengths, and both appear to be adequate goalkeepers at our level, Max has got his chance now and he should be allowed to continue in the role given his performances.

Agree.

We clearly tried to replace Fielding in the summer, and there have been doubts about him for some time I feel, as he's been in and out in previous seasons. Mäenpää I feel was only ever meant to be back-up.

Agree, although done a very decent job imho, but at 33 not a long-term plan.

Fielding is 30, Mäenpää 33 - Not 'old' for goalkeepers really, but equally, it is probably fair to say that Max's development is on the up at 22 whereas we probably know what we will get from the other two and they're unlikely to improve massively. Max could go on to be far better than both of them if he gets games and develops, so why play two older goalkeepers who might hold him back and we know we have wanted to replace previously?

Got a Courtios / Van der Sar type build that should give him longevity in the game.  If Max continues to do well, he needs to stay in.

Obviously if Max started to feel the pressure or came into bad form, we would have to think about taking him out of the spotlight for a few games, and we would have adequate back-up to do that, but for now, I say give him the gloves. What haven't got a lot to lose, and potentially a lot to gain.

It would also show those in a similar position in the academy that there's a clear pathway and that if something opens up for you and you grasp it with two hands, you can hold your place. 

And in fairness to LJ, I think he will do that.

23 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Allegedly O'Leary was going in the summer to a Scottish Prem team but only signed a contract and remained because Fielding got injured. 

Scotland permanently or on loan?

I wonder what this means for any January bid for Zack Steffen.  I thought we might conclude this during the winter window, but might be food for thought now.  Max could save us millions.  Spoken to him a couple of times and he’s a very mature guy, who was grateful for getting football at Bath and Solihull.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s something i’ll Look out for.  Good spot.

Scotland permanently or on loan?

I wonder what this means for any January bid for Zack Steffen.  I thought we might conclude this during the winter window, but might be food for thought now.  Max could save us millions.  Spoken to him a couple of times and he’s a very mature guy, who was grateful for getting football at Bath and Solihull.

Permanently! From someone who trains with max. Something Max had said to them. But nobody else has heard the same so maybe I’m wrong. 

23 hours ago, spudski said:

Agreed...in fact FF is the complete opposite, takes a complete age to distribute or get the ball back in play.

Eager to pass the ball to a player, rather than a huge punt that's made 50/50...even his long balls are actually aimed at one of our players.

It's the one thing that Matty Taylor and Weimann do well...coming to collect the ball. Something young Elliason needs to improve on. It often leaves Hunt with no pass on, as he always gets to look for a ball over the top off the last shoulder. Sometimes he needs to drop to receive the pass...to create the triangle or make space for someone else.

Poor old Hunt got stuck last night for a couple misplaced passes, all because he was put under pressure with no option on...all because Elliason chose to go the wrong way.

Your first and second line emphasizes what many have failed to grasp in regards to Frank Fielding. Keeper coaching is now underpinning learning  - two thirds of the Keepers game is played with the feet and keepers are being expected to be better with their feet than hands, it is now a frequent expectation that a keepers touch and distribution is better than their outfield team mates. Bristol City have been employing Keepers that are inadequate for modern football approaches. 

In regards to Man City its not such a trick being missed there. Man City have Ederson a man with a accurate seventy metre out ball. A player who can be viewed as being having better aspects with feet than hands, its astonishing how good he is. That out ball affects the opposition because not only do Man City split and go high and wide they go also exceptionally long stretching the opposition.

Its a brave team that attempts to do what you suggest without total confidence in the Keeper and his foot skill. 

Bristol City are seeing a major improvement from balls sailing into stands and teams putting the deckchairs out because the Keepers release is delayed allowing them to get into shape easily.

I think in the past you like myself have been holding back in an attempt to be respectful in reference to how limited Fielding is. This progression should be looked upon as necessity in a keeper, the basic requirements, not an advantage.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Your first and second line emphasizes what many have failed to grasp in regards to Frank Fielding. Keeper coaching is now underpinning learning  - two thirds of the Keepers game is played with the feet and keepers are being expected to be better with their feet than hands, it is now a frequent expectation that a keepers touch and distribution is better than their outfield team mates. Bristol City have been employing Keepers that are inadequate for modern football approaches. 

In regards to Man City its not such a trick being missed there. Man City have Ederson a man with a accurate seventy metre out ball. A player who can be viewed as being having better aspects with feet than hands, its astonishing how good he is. That out ball affects the opposition because not only do Man City split and go high and wide they go also exceptionally long stretching the opposition.

Its a brave team that attempts to do what you suggest without total confidence in the Keeper and his foot skill. 

Bristol City are seeing a major improvement from balls sailing into stands and teams putting the deckchairs out because the Keepers release is delayed allowing them to get into shape easily.

I think in the past you like myself have been holding back in an attempt to be respectful in reference to how limited Fielding is. This progression should be looked upon as necessity in a keeper, the basic requirements, not an advantage.

The King is dead ...

( well recovering from illness ) 

Long live the King ! 

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I think we are seeing a more developed 'modern' keeper in Max...his whole game with feet, hands and distribution is far more in keeping with what is expected from a present day keeper.

I'd stick with him.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think we are seeing a more developed 'modern' keeper in Max...his whole game with feet, hands and distribution is far more in keeping with what is expected from a present day keeper.

I'd stick with him.

And given time the tactical flexibility that this Keeper provides can be progressed further. Wednesday he clipped a ball into left midfield ... First time, with ease to its target. It is a exciting proposition in regards to offensive possibility. 

I'd stick with it as a principle of the teams football. With a Frank Fielding it cannot happen.

Archived