Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Port Said Red

Max

So 2 games 2 clean sheets. 1 great save last night, but an overall performance that oozed confidence and command for someone so young.

Let's cut out those heart stopping misplaced passes on the edge of the box though eh? :facepalm:

Yea a bit of miscommunication on that one. Looked to me like they had worked on a few things between max and defense/midfield. Thought like Brentford it was a solid performance. Not much to do but didn’t make a meal out of any situations. Similar to Maenpaa for me as in nothing spectacular(ok his save at the start was quite good) but handles everything that comes at him. Think Maenpaa should come back in but I would not rush him back

• Like 2

Forget his age and experience and going by performance, he doesn't look out of place as a Championship GK. 

I'd actually want to continue between the sticks from now on. Looks assured and his distribution and general accuracy is better than what we have elsewhere. 

Why not.,..

• Like 7

Two decent clean sheets so far in the Championship should set his confidence soaring.  I wasn't at the game last night, but on highlights that save looked world class.  Well done, Max.  And also, pretty awesome to have another academy keeper on the bench for another game.  Those two young keepers must be pretty special to be trusted at such a high level.

• Like 1

He's a proper sweeper keeper isn't he. Always running in to space when the defense have the ball to give them an extra option, and very quick off his line. 

Early days, but so far I'm impressed.

• Like 5

Think we're seeing the real fruit of the academy pathway. Anyone who had watched a City academy side play will notice the similarities between the way our max plays.

He hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Up to niki and ff to dislodge him now.

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

If all 3 of Fielding, Maenpaa and Max are fit, as they will be soon, who starts, who’s on the bench and who misses out altogether? 

Fielding misses out. It’s up to him to get his place back because Maenpaa and O’Leary have looked good.

• Like 2

Excellent save at the start, set the tone.

Thought he looked good v Bournemouth in pre-season but still it was a bit of an ask in a Championship season, coming into a side who at that stage hadn't won in 5.  Doing great so far, and he will only improve the more he plays.

My personal view would be that whilst Mäenpää and Fielding have their strengths, and both appear to be adequate goalkeepers at our level, Max has got his chance now and he should be allowed to continue in the role given his performances.

We clearly tried to replace Fielding in the summer, and there have been doubts about him for some time I feel, as he's been in and out in previous seasons. Mäenpää I feel was only ever meant to be back-up. Fielding is 30, Mäenpää 33 - Not 'old' for goalkeepers really, but equally, it is probably fair to say that Max's development is on the up at 22 whereas we probably know what we will get from the other two and they're unlikely to improve massively. Max could go on to be far better than both of them if he gets games and develops, so why play two older goalkeepers who might hold him back and we know we have wanted to replace previously?

Obviously if Max started to feel the pressure or came into bad form, we would have to think about taking him out of the spotlight for a few games, and we would have adequate back-up to do that, but for now, I say give him the gloves. What haven't got a lot to lose, and potentially a lot to gain.

It would also show those in a similar position in the academy that there's a clear pathway and that if something opens up for you and you grasp it with two hands, you can hold your place. 

• Like 6

Looks the part for me. 

Add his loan at Solihull last season and he’s got 13 clean sheets in 25 games. That’s pretty impressive. 

• Like 3

always liked max and he's always done well out on loan,

This could be his big break, I'd still like to watch him for a few more games but on the two showings so far, he's the best of the 3,

but he still needs a good run of games before we hail him as the new John Shaw

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

always liked max and he's always done well out on loan,

This could be his big break, I'd still like to watch him for a few more games but on the two showings so far, he's the best of the 3,

but he still needs a good run of games before we hail him as the new John Shaw

Eh??

Really liked how he was trying to play the 11th outfield player, always giving the defenders an option for a pass.

He’s clearly a confident lad.

What impressed me was his eagerness to spot runners and get us breaking on them when he got his hands on the ball. Don’t think NM or Frankie are as quick to put us on the front foot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

If all 3 of Fielding, Maenpaa and Max are fit, as they will be soon, who starts, who’s on the bench and who misses out altogether? 

There's only one way to sort this out ...

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Too early to say for sure, but I'd look to sell Frankie and keep O'Leary in the side, and bring in Maenpaa if Max has a couple of dodgy games. But either Max or Maenpaa I'm happy with. I loved it near the end when he charged out the box to head clear for a throw in. I expect Frankie and maybe Maenpaa would have stayed back, and Dasilva would have been in big trouble. 

• Like 2

LJs post match comments on Max can be summarised as;

If we win and we keep clean sheets then he stays in!

It's his to lose now, okay, we won't win every game and we will concede goals, but for now it sounds like LJ is reassured by his performances and is probably glad he didn't try for an emergency loan.

Fielding now third choice keeper for me.

Max was pretty flawless last night. One big clanger, but no harm done there, but definitely has risen to the challenge.

• Like 1

In sixty eight years of supporting City, Max could be only the second youth/academy goalkeeper apart from Ray Cashley to make the breakthrough to regular first team selection.

I'm aware that Sullivan, Morgan and Cook, the keepers in the early fifties were Downs League recruits. And Phillips came from Paulton.

O'Leary could be very hard to dislodge if he continues as he has started.

• Like 2

He's clearly capable but he will have a bad game sooner or later and that will be a test for him. If he loses form and the senior keepers are unavailable then we could have a problem.

I'm not comparing the two in terms of ability, but I remember Steve Phillips having some very encouraging early games, which he followed up with some nightmare performances. That might have been down to Pulis slating him in public, though. Johnson will need to treat O'Leary as carefully as he is able.

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There's only one way to sort this out ...

Nooo. Knowing our luck Major, all 3 would end up with some sort of injury that will keep them out for 6 months plus!!!

Max has done really well in the two games so far. Coming for crosses, shot stopping and distribution have all been good considering he's only played two senior games for us.

Personally, I believe that we signed Maenpaa on a short term deal in the summer and not another keeper on a long deal as we see Max as the long term solution in goal for us. 

Maybe the thoughts were that this season was a little too soon in his development, hence the Maenpaa signing for a year, but he has certainly done well enough to keep the shirt for the time being. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Forget his age and experience and going by performance, he doesn't look out of place as a Championship GK. 

I'd actually want to continue between the sticks from now on. Looks assured and his distribution and general accuracy is better than what we have elsewhere. 

Why not.,..

Agree ...his shirt to lose now as far as i am concerned...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Max has done really well in the two games so far. Coming for crosses, shot stopping and distribution have all been good considering he's only played two senior games for us.

Personally, I believe that we signed Maenpaa on a short term deal in the summer and not another keeper on a long deal as we see Max as the long term solution in goal for us. 

Maybe the thoughts were that this season was a little too soon in his development, hence the Maenpaa signing for a year, but he has certainly done well enough to keep the shirt for the time being. 

Allegedly O'Leary was going in the summer to a Scottish Prem team but only signed a contract and remained because Fielding got injured. 

26 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Allegedly O'Leary was going in the summer to a Scottish Prem team but only signed a contract and remained because Fielding got injured. 

not even close to the truth, he was going to go out on loan to a league one club but that was cancelled due to franks injury, we were always bringing another keeper in,

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Too early to say for sure, but I'd look to sell Frankie and keep O'Leary in the side, and bring in Maenpaa if Max has a couple of dodgy games. But either Max or Maenpaa I'm happy with. I loved it near the end when he charged out the box to head clear for a throw in. I expect Frankie and maybe Maenpaa would have stayed back, and Dasilva would have been in big trouble. 

I was going to mention this myself. I am certain neither of our other two keepers would have done this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

I thought he was going on loan to Macclesfield and FFs injury screwed it up?

I have seen posts on here from those who follow our youth teams closely, who seem to think he is not even the best of the 'keepers coming through, which if true is very exciting.

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

What impressed me was his eagerness to spot runners and get us breaking on them when he got his hands on the ball. Don’t think NM or Frankie are as quick to put us on the front foot

Agreed...in fact FF is the complete opposite, takes a complete age to distribute or get the ball back in play.

Max plays like a modern keeper...one who is just as good with his feet as he is with his hands.

Eager to pass the ball to a player, rather than a huge punt that's made 50/50...even his long balls are actually aimed at one of our players.

He's obviously under instruction to play a certain way and pick the pass...otherwise he would be told to stop. It's a great advantage.

We did miss a trick last night though.

When Max had the ball, we had two full backs and a CB all come back to receive the ball, either wide or in the middle. When Hull pushed up and marked these players, he then ushered everyone up into the 'zone'...where he punted up to make it a 50/50 ball instead.

What we missed was the massive whole left in midfield when the three Hull players pushed up. There was so much space, yet no one dropped to receive the ball in that space. Watch Man City...they do this often when the opposition push up. Their GK will have two midfielders drop into that space, where he will deliver a long pass too. It's simple but very effective, and takes three off the opposition out of the game.

It's the one thing that Matty Taylor and Weimann do well...coming to collect the ball. Something young Elliason needs to improve on. It often leaves Hunt with no pass on, as he always gets to look for a ball over the top off the last shoulder. Sometimes he needs to drop to receive the pass...to create the triangle or make space for someone else.

Poor old Hunt got stuck last night for a couple misplaced passes, all because he was put under pressure with no option on...all because Elliason chose to go the wrong way.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

We can forget about the American keeper because bringing him in would only push Max out and stunt his progress. The club would also save itself £3m+.

Agree with this as we also have Sesay coming up through, who is very highly rated in the academy.

• Like 1

He's been good but had a couple of dodgy moments (which can be expected). A couple of stray passes and at Brentford lucky not to get the ball took off him early on. Last night i felt he could have easily caught a cross but went for a punch instead. Did one amazing save last night after about 2mins.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Max plays like a modern keeper...one who is just as good with his feet as he is with his hands.

He's obviously under instruction to play a certain way and pick the pass...otherwise he would be told to stop. It's a great advantage.

We did miss a trick last night though.

When Max had the ball, we had two full backs and a CB all come back to receive the ball, either wide or in the middle. When Hull pushed up and marked these players, he then ushered everyone up into the 'zone'...where he punted up to make it a 50/50 ball instead.

What we missed was the massive whole left in midfield when the three Hull players pushed up. There was so much space, yet no one dropped to receive the ball in that space. Watch Man City...they do this often when the opposition push up. Their GK will have two midfielders drop into that space, where he will deliver a long pass too. It's simple but very effective, and takes three off the opposition out of the game.

Wasn't their first leg equaliser in the League Cup (De Bruyne) against us scored in exactly that manner?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wasn't their first leg equaliser in the League Cup (De Bruyne) against us scored in exactly that manner?

Thanks Phil, you saved me typing something similar. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Still yet to see him tested aerially. 

I did think he was a bit static at corners last night, almost stuck to his line.

Apart from that he looks very assured and confident for someone playing at this level for the first time. Decision making around distribution is very good as well.

19 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Sort yer own telly reception out mate, we don't want him clambering over roofs ffs... 

Bristol Rovers all the way!

OUCH!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I have seen posts on here from those who follow our youth teams closely, who seem to think he is not even the best of the 'keepers coming through, which if true is very exciting.

I think Alhaji Sesay is the one people rate highest, may be wrong though.

He's only a just turned 20 mind!

• Like 1