IGNORED

Clean Sheets impressive

Major Isewater

We have now got six clean sheets out of fourteen league matches. I find that pretty impressive and a tribute to the hard yards put in by the squad and coaching staff.

Keep a clean sheet you don't lose, 

We seem to have lost our way a little in the final third but we definitely have given ourselves a platform with these defensive displays. 

A lot has changed from last season.

Well done City .

:clap:

Strange how things turn out.

We lost what many regard as our 2 best defenders in the summer, but seem to have ended up with a better defence. We have yet to concede a goal in the last 15/20 minutes of any game this season and that is a big change from last season. The longer this trend continues it can only give the team more confidence.

Now if only we can get midfield and strikers firing .........

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

We'll win the league!

Knowing us, midfield will click and strikers will start to score freely at the exact moment the wheels come off the defence.

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Good spot Major, a good defensive record is synonymous with promotion teams.

We have the 5th best defensive record in the league, whilst out goals for is 14th, a few more goals and who knows where we could end up?

Europe? :whistle:

I've taken some time to look at our goal difference since LJ joined city and it looks like something has changed for the better in the summer. Other threads have alluded to a less "gung-ho" approach which will be because we don't expect as many goals from our defenders.

Previously, our goal difference was influenced more by how many goals we conceded - as the defence improved, the goal difference rose because we consistently scored at roughly the same rate. Now we are conceding at a low & consistent rate - save the 4 at WBA, which I think will show up as an outlier over the course of the season.

We have had good defenders over the last 10 years but we've only had a good defence when we've been attacking all game virtually every game. I just hope this isn't a false dawn, the composure shown by Da Silva, Kelly, Webster, Kalas, Hunt and even at times Baker suggests the immediate future is bright.

1 hour ago, Super said:

I think last night was down to how wasteful Hull were. Webster looked good though.

They may have been ' wasteful ' but the clean sheet is what will show in the record books .

You could also say may be they were ruffled by our defence and weren't allowed to settle enough to have many really good attempts at our goal.

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

They may have been ' wasteful ' but the clean sheet is what will show in the record books .

You could also say may be they were ruffled by our defence and weren't allowed to settle enough to have many really good attempts at our goal.

No just bad finishing.

This is demonstrable improvement on last season and key to future success. I strongly believe that Webster and Kelly are a massive step up on Flint and Bryan. Whilst both had their strengths they were part of one of the statistically poorest Championship defences over a period of three years. For the second half of last season Joe’s defending was lamentable -remember Sunderland and Hull. Even better is the fact that both Webster and Kelly are young and, one would hope get better. In my view they both are both potential future internationals.

Our overall team play has been mixed this season thus far but we have suffered significant injuries and loss of form to key players - Pack, Patterson and Fammy. We are just outside the top 6 and know that we can play better. Not a bad position to be in.

The usual cry during the transfer window is 'where will the goals come from?' and much of the chat is about which strikers we should sign.Yet it was always more important that we improved on a poor defensive record.

It's been interesting to hear Jurgen Klopp talk about changing Liverpool's approach to improve their defensive record, especially to stop dropping points against lower teams. He talked after the Huddersfield game about winning 'average ' games as a result, which is exactly what we have done in our last two.

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We have now got six clean sheets out of fourteen league matches. I find that pretty impressive and a tribute to the hard yards put in by the squad and coaching staff.

We seem to have lost our way a little in the final third but we definitely have given ourselves a platform with these defensive displays. 

Well done City .

I've kept a few clean sheets but I do find as I get older it is a bit of a challenge after a good curry

6 hours ago, Super said:

No just bad finishing.

32 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Yes it’s surprising the amount of people that can’t see this, Brentford were unlucky aswell 

Here’s the xG for lsst night.

236064DE-0440-45B5-B433-F78FD8AA11F0.thumb.jpeg.c551721ae906431a10fe7a300c7f767a.jpeg

And Brentford, which doesn’t include the wrongly disallowed goal that was probably worth 0.2/0.3.

DED45CB8-92A0-4663-A2CB-344AF43498BB.thumb.jpeg.77b9af0507d82e20530a4a32143c8f13.jpeg

And Wednesday (on Sunday);

43637149-97E4-4BCE-A901-C6735D387635.thumb.jpeg.b37b8ebff13e6682044407d2dc88b659.jpeg

swings and roundabouts!!!

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Strange how things turn out.

We lost what many regard as our 2 best defenders in the summer, but seem to have ended up with a better defence. 

Middlesbrough signed one of those two defenders, and seem to have a better defence this season than last. Strange?

Not really. Flint is a good defender. But you needn't take my word for that.

What is strange to me is how some posters on here do not want to, or cannot see, that Tony Pulis signing one of our defenders for a promotion expectant club like Middlesbrough might just indicate that Flint can defend. Perhaps some posters on here see Pulis as an attack-minded football coach? Who knows.

Last season, Middlesbrough's defence wasn't shabby: in their first 14 games in 2017/18, they conceded 12 goals. This season with Flint playing every minute of their 14 games so far, Boro have conceded goals. 

Last season, after 14 games, we had let in 15 goals; this time, it is 14/14. So, going by this basic stat, it is better but by one goal in more than 1,260 minutes.

As for "many" regarding Joe Bryan as one of our two best defenders, this is simply wrong. Where do you get this idea from? Strange. Next to no-one regarded Joe's defending as being good enough, some were scathing about it. He was, though, one of our three best players which is why he is now at a Premier League club. The best defenders were Bailey Wright, Nathan Baker, Pisano, Magnússon and Flint. 

Defending is not only about the individual players involved; there is also management and coaching and philosophy and style of play and attitude to risk and emphasis and priority and organisation: none of which Flint was responsible for. 

12 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Middlesbrough signed one of those two defenders, and seem to have a better defence this season than last. Strange?

Not really. Flint is a good defender. But you needn't take my word for that.

What is strange to me is how some posters on here do not want to, or cannot see, that Tony Pulis signing one of our defenders for a promotion expectant club like Middlesbrough might just indicate that Flint can defend. Perhaps some posters on here see Pulis as an attack-minded football coach? Who knows.

Last season, Middlesbrough's defence wasn't shabby: in their first 14 games in 2017/18, they conceded 12 goals. This season with Flint playing every minute of their 14 games so far, Boro have conceded goals. 

Last season, after 14 games, we had let in 15 goals; this time, it is 14/14. So, going by this basic stat, it is better but by one goal in more than 1,260 minutes.

As for "many" regarding Joe Bryan as one of our two best defenders, this is simply wrong. Where do you get this idea from? Strange. Next to no-one regarded Joe's defending as being good enough, some were scathing about it. He was, though, one of our three best players which is why he is now at a Premier League club. The best defenders were Bailey Wright, Nathan Baker, Pisano, Magnússon and Flint. 

Defending is not only about the individual players involved; there is also management and coaching and philosophy and style of play and attitude to risk and emphasis and priority and organisation: none of which Flint was responsible 

Style of play is key, LJ obviously wants all of our defenders to be technically able to receive the ball and play out from the back. Flint is a top defender and a threat in the opposition box although limited technically but Webster is an out and out footballing centre half who he sees as pivotal in his philosophy of how we should play.

I have personally been very impressed with Webster and to have Kalas alongside him seems to be a top class pairing

Hunt is the one who appears to be the weak link, not a great defender and needs back up from those around him to protect our RB area

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Clean sheets maybe, but both Brentford and Hull had quite a few chances, both let down by poor finishing.  We are making mistakes giving the ball away in midfield resulting in unnecessary pressure.

You think the opposition should have no chances ? That all the opposition are so shite that we should restrict them to none ?

Its a ridiculous notion as most teams in this division are roughly equal and its all about taking the chances or not.

We are in a good position and have as good a chance of the playoffs as any other team. 

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Well done City .

Yep.

Doing ok.

Archived