IGNORED

The Amazing Neck Of Famara Diedhiou

Boston Red

15 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Having said that ,he did a brilliant drag down and flick past the defender leaving him open in the box...........unfortunately given just offside !:grr:

Fair play....Paterson also performed an outrageously skilful trick when he flicked the ball through a Hull player’s legs as he turned...Joe Bryan tweeted a video of it....

18 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Last season at home to QPR, ten man City had a corner. Diedhiou was in the six yard box. It was an outswinger that was behind him. Turning backwards, with his back half to goal, he jumped back away from the goal, connected with the ball, and swivelled his neck muscles to divert it into the far corner. He was virtually facing the bench at the time.

Last night, Matty Taylor's shot looped up away from him at an awkward angle. There was no pace on the ball. Extending his go-go-gadget neck, he generated all the power and direction to get the ball over the line. There was a defender on the line, and he got his foot to it, but the force of the ball carried it over the line.

Famara Diedhiou has a neck with the flexibility of an ostrich, the extension power of a swan, and the raw muscular strength of a crocodile. 

A great description, but I worry how you would describe my neck - or my beer gut for that matter  ?

17 hours ago, Spoons said:

Glad he did score as he did bugger all else in the game last night.

But I'm happy if he does nothing except score the winning goal week in week out.

He can 'swan around' in games as much as he likes, as long as he takes a moment in every 90mins to pop up with a match winner.... there won't be too many complaints. :) 

18 hours ago, Spoons said:

Glad he did score as he did bugger all else in the game last night.

But I'm happy if he does nothing except score the winning goal week in week out.

Was the only one making runs for most of the game whilst the midfield and wide players stood still. Held up the ball well when into feet too (with no options of a pass).

4 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Love him or hate him Famara is the best finisher of all our forward options, can not see any of Taylor (love the guys effort) , Weinmann or Patterson scoring 20 goals in a season. Famara I can.

ha!! god help us then. 

By hook or by crook he will get probably 15 this season but the man cannot strike a ball cleanly and if he does its an accident, continues our long running tradition of strikers who cannot do so

Kodjia - 7/10 scuffs.

Tammy - 9/10 scuffs but could put it in with any part of his body from 4 yards

Fammy - see a combo of the above

really not bashing them, it is what it is and they have got us goals but swear most of the time through of goal with any of the above it could be a little embarrassing and all three in some ways and at some point have reminded me of Baz Savage..  I would love to see a sharp striker come in where I actually have confidence in their ability to strike a football. See Nicky M, Baldock or Odemwingie  for the last time we had one

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Most underrated player we have imo. He is not very good at coming deep like he sometimes does when in a 2 man attack, or generally linking up with someone like Weimann alongside him. He is much better on his own, or maybe possibly with Taylor, as he has had a couple of good games alongside him. He holds it up well, he has enough pace to sometimes get in behind, he wins a fair amount of headers and he scores goals. He scored a goal every 182 minutes last season, and so far a goal every 173 minutes this season. He is not brilliant on the ball, but I think he's actually better on the ball than people think on here, especially when he drifts out to the left flank. I just think when it's quick passing in our tight 442, he can struggle a bit. He doesn't necessarily suit the way we often play, as he hasn't got the stamina to chase everything like Weimann and Taylor. But he has many strengths, one of which is he scores goals so I appreciate what he brings. 

True, but is stamina something you either have or don't have? Or can you work a little bit harder to improve your stamina?

Fammy played ok on Wednesday. Definitely not at his annoying worst, improving hopefully and getting back to where he can be, and yes a really well taken goal.

Well done, big man

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Most underrated player we have imo. He is not very good at coming deep like he sometimes does when in a 2 man attack, or generally linking up with someone like Weimann alongside him. He is much better on his own, or maybe possibly with Taylor, as he has had a couple of good games alongside him. He holds it up well, he has enough pace to sometimes get in behind, he wins a fair amount of headers and he scores goals. He scored a goal every 182 minutes last season, and so far a goal every 173 minutes this season. He is not brilliant on the ball, but I think he's actually better on the ball than people think on here, especially when he drifts out to the left flank. I just think when it's quick passing in our tight 442, he can struggle a bit. He doesn't necessarily suit the way we often play, as he hasn't got the stamina to chase everything like Weimann and Taylor. But he has many strengths, one of which is he scores goals so I appreciate what he brings. 

Agreed- think he might be even better in a 4-3-3 or with Taylor either as a pair or Taylor dropping behind and drifting into space, sort of like somewhere between a '10' and a secondary striker.

However yeah his passing, especially quick passing isn't generally the best.

Famara Diedhiou, on his debut for Bristol City against Barnsley on the first day of the 2017/2018 season, scored a great "neck turning" header. (0.20sec). City won 3-1.

Here is the goal vs QPR. (0.26 sec)

Here is the winner against Hull (09.10). With a Hull commentator pretending to be excited for good measure!!!

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he improved as the game went on. Started the game trying to hold off his marker (mainly Elphick) and take it down, rather than try to win and direct a header or flick it on.  Whether it was when he went up-Top on his own or not but he did some better stuff later in the half, bringing others into play.

In the second half he started to attack the ball in the air and won a few.  Posters on here can’t criticise (for example) Webster for not winning every header, if we expect Diedhiou to win everyone at the other end.  The advantage is with the CH, so we need to give Diedhiou a bit of slack here.

When playing on your own up-top, there us a responsibility to stay more central, so Fam isn’t gonna be shuttling across the whole width of the pitch.

I must watch the goal back, because Fam laid it off to Matty coming in from the left wing.  What was his movement after releasing the pass to get into position to head home the parry from Marshall.  He must’ve covered a fair bit of ground to get there?

Overall Fam did ok, it wasn’t a crap performance, nor was it great either.  But the trend was upwards....gradually!!!  Pato was similar!

Taylor got the ball just inside our half, Diedhiou was about 10 yards or so ahead of him*, slightly right of centre on the pitch. 

Diagonal run to left wing, gets the ball off Taylor about 10 yards from the corner of the penalty area. Dribbles to the corner of the area, lays off Taylor for the shot.

As soon as Taylor swings his left foot for the shot, Diedhiou is running to follow the ball in- header from about 8 yards out.

*When the ball is under control. Much closer when the ball first reaches Taylor.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Taylor got the ball just inside our half, Diedhiou was about 10 yards or so ahead of him*, slightly right of centre on the pitch. 

Diagonal run to left wing, gets the ball off Taylor about 10 yards from the corner of the penalty area. Dribbles to the corner of the area, lays off Taylor for the shot.

As soon as Taylor swings his left foot for the shot, Diedhiou is running to follow the ball in- header from about 8 yards out.

*When the ball is under control. Much closer when the ball first reaches Taylor.

Yeah I e watched it back now.  Didn’t rest on his laurels after laying it off to Taylor.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

3 in 5 starts this season (plus 4 subs).

518 minute’s, a goal every 173 minutes....that’s better than 1 in 2.

He ain’t perfect.  He had good games and bad games, sometimes all rolled into the same appearance.  I don’t think he’s reached the heights of last season.

On paper, I thought Weimann / Diedhiou was a great combo.  It hasn’t panned out that way, so far.  A number of us also thought that Diedhiou / Taylor looked effective in limited minutes last season.

For JD, Stoke is the game to start Fam and Matty.  Weimann looks tired.  He works bloody hard, and the last 2/3 games have shown its taken its toll.  

You can look at his mins per goal and say its good but the team scores a hell of a lot more goals without him in the team this season. 

1 goal every 54 mins without him

1 goal every 109 mins with him

His touch is poor, moves break down more when he is involved

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You can look at his mins per goal and say its good but the team scores a hell of a lot more goals without him in the team this season. 

1 goal every 54 mins without him

1 goal every 109 mins with him

His touch is poor, moves break down more when he is involved

I’m gonna have to have a look at that - interesting.

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I just worked it out myself but you can check my workings by all means! 

You set me a challenge!!!  Sorry ?

I started on paper and then found games like Wigan where Weimann and Diedhiou played all 90, so you can’t label it all on Diedhiou.  So I took a slightly different view that took;

• minutes played by each of Weimann, Taylor and Diedhiou
  • how many goals the team scored whilst each was on the pitch and worked out per minutes
  • how many goals the individual scored and per minute

D2582CF9-FB4E-4D69-B0F3-F6BF21877A8C.thumb.jpeg.d878a2881a906c18e2b04a825ff7aa0e.jpeg

Findings:

1. we score more team goals with Taylor on the pitch (every 63 minutes), then Weimann (every 67 minutes), then Diedhiou (every 86 minutes)
  2. Diedhiou scores individually more per minute (173) than Weimann (228) then Taylor (316)

So, does LJ go for team goals or individual goals?  Pros and cons of both.  I might look at how many minutes each pair play together and what impact that has....but I’ll probably leave that til after tomorrow.

23 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Last season at home to QPR, ten man City had a corner. Diedhiou was in the six yard box. It was an outswinger that was behind him. Turning backwards, with his back half to goal, he jumped back away from the goal, connected with the ball, and swivelled his neck muscles to divert it into the far corner. He was virtually facing the bench at the time.

Last night, Matty Taylor's shot looped up away from him at an awkward angle. There was no pace on the ball. Extending his go-go-gadget neck, he generated all the power and direction to get the ball over the line. There was a defender on the line, and he got his foot to it, but the force of the ball carried it over the line.

Famara Diedhiou has a neck with the flexibility of an ostrich, the extension power of a swan, and the raw muscular strength of a crocodile. 

Les Ferdinand still wins this competition for me

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think his mobility will improve with minutes under his belt.

Looking at the highlights once more, his run is absolutely timed to perfection, it was a real strikers goal, you can't teach that.

On 25/10/2018 at 21:05, Boston Red said:

Made I laugh mate. Loved Inspector Gadget. A friend of mine was doing teaching practice and the kids thought he looked like Gadget. When he came in the classroom they all started up with the Gadget theme. He took it as a measure of his supreme self-control that he didn't join in laughing with them.

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not great?! He cost over £5 million !!!! Oh well, his first touch ain’t great.....I got dropped from my Sunday league team for that one week, and my first touch was, and is, infinitely better than Fammy’s....

I don’t think you realise how quick the professional game is.  Even in your pomp, to think your touch would’ve been better than Fam’s is rediculous.  Sorry.

I remember playing for Stockwood Green v City in the Fry Club Summer Cup Final (we beat Rovers in the semi - sweet!!!).  It was after all my injuries, but I actually was injury free at that point and City fielded their usual young / youth side.  I was playing up-front, and was being marked by a young Kevin Amankwah (probably 17/18).  I thought I’d be able to move him around, get it down, and win my share of flick-ons.  I couldn’t believe how quick and strong he was, and quick in the brain too.  He came through me a couple of times (fairly), was first to any loose pass into me.  It was a bit of an eye-opener...and makes me appreciate how hard it is to play as a back-to-goal striker at the top levels.

Fam isn’t a touch player admittedly, but at times he does some great things.  You would expect more from a £5m player, agreed, but I see far worse than him in the Prem.  Players like Walcott frustrate the hell out of me for not being able to trap a ball at times.  How much more is he worth than Fammy?  

Have a read of Garry Nelson’s Left Foot In The Grave (his second book) if you’ve not already, about his time at Torquay.  Quite interesting his matter of fact ‘tales’ of dropping from the top two tiers into the bottom tier....and the respective skill and ability levels of the players he was about to play with.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think you realise how quick the professional game is.  Even in your pomp, to think your touch would’ve been better than Fam’s is rediculous.  Sorry.

I remember playing for Stockwood Green v City in the Fry Club Summer Cup Final (we beat Rovers in the semi - sweet!!!).  It was after all my injuries, but I actually was injury free at that point and City fielded their usual young / youth side.  I was playing up-front, and was being marked by a young Kevin Amankwah (probably 17/18).  I thought I’d be able to move him around, get it down, and win my share of flick-ons.  I couldn’t believe how quick and strong he was, and quick in the brain too.  He came through me a couple of times (fairly), was first to any loose pass into me.  It was a bit of an eye-opener...and makes me appreciate how hard it is to play as a back-to-goal striker at the top levels.

Fam isn’t a touch player admittedly, but at times he does some great things.  You would expect more from a £5m player, agreed, but I see far worse than him in the Prem.  Players like Walcott frustrate the hell out of me for not being able to trap a ball at times.  How much more is he worth than Fammy?  

Have a read of Garry Nelson’s Left Foot In The Grave (his second book) if you’ve not already, about his time at Torquay.  Quite interesting his matter of fact ‘tales’ of dropping from the top two tiers into the bottom tier....and the respective skill and ability levels of the players he was about to play with.

Thanks for the rather patronising reply Dave...I’ve watched professional football for over 45 years, I’m well aware of ‘how quick’ it is....I think a modern £5m player should have a decent first touch, surely that’s not unreasonable...?! And you intimate that Walcott is worse than Fammy?! Really?!

Archived