IGNORED

Women allowed to join UK Special Forces

Carey 6

Intrigued to see what people's opinions are on this matter. 

I'm of the opinion that the chance should be there for them to join, but as long as the recruitment tests remains the same in order for them to pass out & aren't reduced in difficulty to help get them in.

I believe the Army allow a lower level of physical standard for women to meet than men require for the same roles. I think it's been confirmed that this wont be the case for the special forces, but I wonder that if a year or two down the line & no woman has passed out, if it will be changed. 

Most male soldiers won't be good enough to become a special forces member. I accept the door will be open to all, but the statistics won't lie. The principle is good, but the reality will prove a basic fact. Men have advantages over women when it comes to physical testing. However, I also think there will be a woman somewhere who can achieve success.

I'm sure there is a number of women out there physically and mentally tough enough to do the job... some female athletic and sporting fetes have been immense. 

My concern would be for any Special Forces females captured by the enemy.... Their fate in those circumstances doesn't bear thinking about.  

I reckon any girls/women willing to risk putting themselves in such a possible position are (like the blokes) very special people indeed...  but the girls would have to be totally off their tits to do so.

On 26/10/2018 at 14:14, WhistleHappy said:

I'm sure there is a number of women out there physically and mentally tough enough to do the job... some female athletic and sporting fetes have been immense. 

My concern would be for any Special Forces females captured by the enemy.... Their fate in those circumstances doesn't bear thinking about.  

I reckon any girls/women willing to risk putting themselves in such a possible position are (like the blokes) very special people indeed...  but the girls would have to be totally off their tits to do so.

Despite the Geneva Convention,  any enemy soldier is not going to have a pleasant time if captured ,regardless of their gender.

All our British forces are brave and loyal to the Crown and the country and all that it stands for we should be thankful for them . 

59 minutes ago, phantom said:

SAS Who Dares Wins 2019

An interesting series on Channel 5 for anyone interested in the SAS

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/sas-who-dares-wins

SAS Who Dares Wins

Channel 4 mate but yes love this programme. Think it’s great women have been included and that the DS are treating all candidates exactly the same regardless of gender as, as they say, in a combat / war zone gender is irrelevant to the enemy.  Some bravery shown by that one woman in the boxing challenge!

• Admin
4 minutes ago, The King of Spain said:

Channel 4 mate but yes love this programme. Think it’s great women have been included and that the DS are treating all candidates exactly the same regardless of gender as, as they say, in a combat / war zone gender is irrelevant to the enemy.  Some bravery shown by that one woman in the boxing challenge!

Oh yeah - DOH !

I like the way they have the "mole" in amongst them. I was thinking how the show heavilly concentrates on specific people, would assume these are those that get to the end

• Admin

Slightly different note:

A CRACK SAS trooper piled into the Kenya terror siege – killing militants and saving lives, it was confirmed today.

The “long serving” member of the SAS – motto Who Dares Wins – was on a mission to train and mentor Kenyan Special Forces when four terrorists attacked a hotel complex.

After one detonated a suicide belt the remaining three went on a gun and grenade rampage leaving 14 dead including one British man.

Amid the carnage – orchestrated by terror group al-Shabaab – a lone SAS soldier got tooled up and went in after a request for help from Kenyan security forces, sources said.

Incredible images showed the operator in jeans, trainers and body armour storming through doors and aiding injured, his face covered by a balaclava.

He was pictured operating at the hotel alone. But he was joined in the mission by US Navy Seals, sources said.

An insider said: "UK Special Forces always run towards the sound of gunfire. He was there training and mentoring Kenyan forces when the shout went up, so they went in.

"During the operation he fired off some rounds – it’s a safe bet he hit his target – the SAS don’t miss.

"He is a long serving member of the Regiment, there is no doubt his actions saved lives."

The incident was today declared over by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and all the attackers "eliminated".

Gunmen attacked the compound in the Westlands district of Kenya’s capital Nairobi on Tuesday afternoon.

image.png

image.png

Am enjoying the new series on Channel 4.

There are some tough guys and gals giving it a go.

Irrespective of gender, it was interesting that the first person to voluntarily withdraw was a muslim guy who - due to his 'religious beliefs' couldn't take a dump sat next to a female. In a combat situation you may well have to crap or piss where you are positioned. 

I respect the guys beliefs, but maybe if he had to carry a portaloo around with him he wouldn't be so combat effective. So probably best that he jacked.

Not sure what the 'winner/winners' get apart from the fact that they have survived the course, and proven that they are physically and mentally tough enough.

No doubt though that it could open various opportunities for some form of financial gain.

What impresses me most is that after tonight's episode is that there are only 9 people left.

That includes 5 women and 4 men. Each individual treated equally with regard to the hell thrown at them.

Regardless of looks, an outstanding effort.

12 hours ago, freezer said:

Not sure what the 'winner/winners' get apart from the fact that they have survived the course, and proven that they are physically and mentally tough enough.

No doubt though that it could open various opportunities for some form of financial gain.

What impresses me most is that after tonight's episode is that there are only 9 people left.

That includes 5 women and 4 men. Each individual treated equally with regard to the hell thrown at them.

Regardless of looks, an outstanding effort.

They don't get anything out of it other than a sense of achievement and a pat on the back from Staff (more than one person has survived in the past). The only person who benefits from the show is Ant Middleton who has an ever growing Channel 4 program CV and an upcoming talk show tour (even advertised in the advert break subtly!). I do think he's quite good though to be fair so good luck to him.

Whilst I think putting the ladies up this series has been a good thing to do to evolve the show they do appear to be over focusing on this new concept rather than just getting on with it, I'd say some of their cull decisions are definitely backing the women a little. There was one guy featured in a previous episode who we barely saw yet was culled for no apparent reason? Whether he was so bad he asked to be edited out we will never know. There are also a couple of gals who they have barely focused on so it will be good to see how they get on towards the end. I'm quite surprised as some of the remaining ladies are definitely as good as their male counterparts who are left which I honestly thought wouldn't be the case which advocates the decision to let ladies join.

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I see this as a complete non-issue, to be honest. If someone passes the tests to join the SAS or Special Forces, they should be allowed to join, regardless of gender, sexuality or anything else. It's well over due and a good move as it widens the pool of potential recruits for a very tough job. 

I agree 100% regarding equality but a complication of having female SAS soldiers despite them withstanding  all the interrogation tests is that any real interrogation wouldn’t be anything like the tests they undergo if they were captured.

The other complication would be relationships between men and women. In any environment where they  work together relationships can and do develop - it’s human nature. The last thing any special forces organisation would want.

To me there are more disadvantages to having women in the special forces than the benefits ( if any) they might bring 

On 26/10/2018 at 11:36, Erithacus said:

Most male soldiers won't be good enough to become a special forces member. I accept the door will be open to all, but the statistics won't lie. The principle is good, but the reality will prove a basic fact. Men have advantages over women when it comes to physical testing. However, I also think there will be a woman somewhere who can achieve success.

It will be the select few that pass..and probably the select few that wish to try..

Also female students to soon be tested on the potential Royal Marines course for the first time.

A few of the old 'guard have their noses out of joint-but anyone good enough deserves it..

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agree 100% regarding equality but a complication of having female SAS soldiers despite them withstanding  all the interrogation tests is that any real interrogation wouldn’t be anything like the tests they undergo if they were captured.

The other complication would be relationships between men and women. In any environment where they  work together relationships can and do develop - it’s human nature. The last thing any special forces organisation would want.

To me there are more disadvantages to having women in the special forces than the benefits ( if any) they might bring 

In terms of the first point, I think adults are capable of making their own decisions on the risks of being captured. I doubt anyone signs up for the SAS with their eyes wide open.

I'd argue the second complication isn't really a reason not to allow women. It's a reason why you need to get people with appropriate judgement. Relationships do happen in the workplace but most people have the sense, judgement and ability to not get involved with people when it is deeply inappropriate to do so. 

I am yet to see a single plausible disadvantage to this. 

Archived