IGNORED

Paterson

Red Army 75

16 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

How and why is he playing. ******* shit . In affective. Shouldn’t be any where near the starting line up 

Didnt see today but he has been shit for too long now. Needs shipping out in Jan.

There definitely has to be something going on between Johnson & Paterson. Just a ridiculous & embarrssing situation. He adds absolutely nothing & should be no where near the starting line up. He looks like a little boy playing against men to the point where it is like playing with 10 men most of the time. 

I'd much rather see Watkins on the right Eliasson on the left than Paterson playing anywhere. Taylor can do a better job playing off Fam too. Get Adelakun fit and in the team as he can't be any worse than Paterson.

Also, mental how much O'dowda has seemingly regressed in the last year.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought the problem first half was he was playing just off of Diedhiou, often with his back to goal. We lacked the ability with Pack and Brownhill to link up with him in that position. Their full backs got very tight on our wingers and we needed Pato to come deep, but clearly Johnson didn't want him to. They had the extra body in midfield which made it so hard to get the ball and then keep the ball against the class of Woods and Allen. Walsh made all the difference second half. Paterson was then better as he got on the ball a lot more. If Paterson is not getting the ball, then no point in playing him. 

Agreed - some players are at their best running with the ball (Paterson, Eliasson), other players are better moving off the ball, less time in possession (Hunt, Brownhill). Unless we feed Eliasson and Paterson they are unlikely to either go looking for it or make that happen (partly because of tactics, partly through it not being what they do - not all players do all things). Brownhill will go and make something happen, Paterson needs a constant flow of passes to him. He didn't help himself, I felt, by seemingly hiding at times, when we had multiple throws in and around their box down in front of A Block for example. When was he at his best for a continued period of time? Oct-Dec last year when we played lots of triangles, give and go, with Reid and him moving so much it created difficulties for the opposition. We aren't playing like that now, and I'd use him as a sub, personally. He's off-form. He can't show the consistency. But what type of football are we playing, if not last autumn's pass and move? Playing Eliasson suggests getting it wide and movement into the box as balls come in, but I don't think that is Paterson's strength. It is odd him starting these last 4 games or so to such little effect.

2 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Agreed - some players are at their best running with the ball (Paterson, Eliasson), other players are better moving off the ball, less time in possession (Hunt, Brownhill). Unless we feed Eliasson and Paterson they are unlikely to either go looking for it or make that happen (partly because of tactics, partly through it not being what they do - not all players do all things). Brownhill will go and make something happen, Paterson needs a constant flow of passes to him. He didn't help himself, I felt, by seemingly hiding at times, when we had multiple throws in and around their box down in front of A Block for example. When was he at his best for a continued period of time? Oct-Dec last year when we played lots of triangles, give and go, with Reid and him moving so much it created difficulties for the opposition. We aren't playing like that now, and I'd use him as a sub, personally. He's off-form. He can't show the consistency. But what type of football are we playing, if not last autumn's pass and move? Playing Eliasson suggests getting it wide and movement into the box as balls come in, but I don't think that is Paterson's strength. It is odd him starting these last 4 games or so to such little effect.

Who knows? I used to get what LJ's philosophy was - and you have described it. I now have no idea and given the constant changes it doesn't look like he does either.

I do know what he is against though, i.e. 4-3-3.

This myth that Paterson can play as a number 10 that LJ keeps persisting with is ridiculous. Far more effective wide left coming in (though not difficult to be more effective than ‘anonymous’). 

LJ got that wrong today. I get he wanted 5 in the middle to stifle a strong Stoke midfield but that wasn’t the way to do it. The midfield three in the second half was. 

I posted the following in the match day thread: 

Just reading through the comments about Patterson - did the Forest fans not say he was a hugely frustrating player as one game he would be fantastic, and then for 3 or 4 he'd be annoymous? To be fair I think we've had more better performances than bad from him (overall), but is he now just going through the motions? 

Probably doesn't help that we rarely play the same 11, but he really needs to start showing some consistency and start kicking on. Mind you he's not playing great at the moment and staying in the team so who knows.

I would say he needs to kick on or ship out in January, but he's always in the team so I would be amazed if he were to go anywhere.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yet again I fail to see what LJ sees in Pato. He starts every game, rarely, if ever gets substituted. 

Its a mystery to me.

Think of Paterson's very best moments for us - the goal at Bolton, the goal at home to Reading last season, the goal at Sheffield Utd last season, and the passes and nutmegs etc from before 2018 began - this is what LJ "sees," what he continues to cling to, hoping that by sticking by him in this fallow period/year, he can restore the player's confidence and belief in himself, so that he produces the form of last autumn/early winter again.

This is what's known as man-management. 

Unfortunately, what LJ "sees" in Pato is in the past, and moving further into the past as each game goes by. I reckon LJ persists with him because what Pato at the top of his game can produce is on another level from CO'D, Watkins and co and what they can do; he has - in the past - produced the sort of top-end quality we are crying out for now. 

But LJ's faith is thus far going unrewarded. It's not working. Paterson was like this at Forest: flashes of class, then fading into mediocrity and then left out (as new managers come and go). 

I think Pato is in the team for what he MIGHT do. The stuff we saw more often last season & the stuff he, no doubt, does in training. Just occasionally there's a glimpse these days but it often fizzles out then he's back to anonymous for a while. The way we're playing he's unlikely to make things happen so why does he start? Why? Because he just MIGHT. A peripheral player if ever there was one.

'

He played well in the 2nd half when moved to his correct position, he's not a number 10 and will never give us anything there, let him use his pace to cut in behind the defence from wife and looks a decent player, 433 is best for so many of our player don't get why Lee will not play it,

Patterson. Very poor. What does he contribute?

No goals, no defence splitting passes, no tackles. So what am I missing?

And Pack. So many misplaced passes. No creativity. Walsh did more in forty five minutes than Pack in the last half a dozen games.

The players in our squad are there for a change to 3-5-2.

Back three Webster, Kalas, Kelly

Midfield Eliasson, Brownhill, Hegeler, Walsh, Dasilva

Strikers Diedhiou, Taylor or Weimann

He was better second half but in truth it was like we had 10 men first half and 10.5 second - we really are starting with a handicap in terms of people prepared to put it all out there - he bottled at least 3 tackles and I mean bottled it - I have no time for him currently and in disbelief he lasted the 90 - LJ needs to wake up and smell the fear !!

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

He was our best player in the second half against hull imo.

I thought he played ok today, again better second half. 

Seems like a bit of a witch hunt against him for me. I am a fan of his though and know that he can be brilliant at times and that he's not been at his best for a while.

Trouble is that "while" has been about 9 months FFS!

He was totally anonymous in the first half, slightly better when Walsh & Da Silva came on, and finally after Taylor belatedly came on and Pato was pushed wide - he actually played well... but glimpses of his form prior to his illness is simply not enough to continue picking him for a starting place. It is a mystery to me how on earth someone decided he was worth a 3 year extension in the summer.

Been shocking since January & the odd piece of skill is not enough and has heart the size of a pea. No denying he’s talented but come on when has he been more than a 6 out of 10 at best.

Too  many chances when compared to others and at the point where I think FFS not Pato when team is announced!

Archived