IGNORED

More of that please Johnson.

Ian M

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Less of the negative first half though. That result is on the manager. 

I totally agree. I’ve not been too critical of Johnson the last year or so, but as good as we looked the 2nd half, he waited until we let in a goal to make the changes we were crying out for. While stoke were not as dominant in the first half as we were in the 2nd, they were entirely comfortable and were cruising to victory as our midfield could not get a grip. This has been clear all season.

It was noticeable in the first half that when we lost possession the first thought was to reset back into positions rather than press and close like we did for much of last season.  That looked very planned to me, and it does seem to me that LJ tries to counter the bigger sides rather than play our own game.

The second half was of course far better but I don't know what it takes for us to actually can start a game like that and keep it up.  What we lacked in the second half was a goalscorer and not much else.  I was surprised to see Patterson stay on, but the subs were all effective.

For all the star names on the team sheet I thought Stoke were pretty weak and lucky to get anything from the game let alone three points.

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Don’t want to start a thread so put it here Dede was fantastic today even first half 

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

We said the same, even his touch seemed better. 

@BS4 on Tour... has been working with him, showing him cine-film from his pomp ??

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

In his selection and tactics LJ seems to be far too worried about the opposition. Hence the constant changes looking to counter them rather than imposing our game.

Not that I have a clue what our game is any more as there seems to be no coherent philosophy.

Just got in, so not read any other threads.  When I saw the line-up assumed we’d go with the set up we did after half an hour on Wednesday (4141) with Pack as the DM, and the midfield 4 all with licence to join Diedhiou.  As it happened, we went 4411, subtlety different, but meant our midfield 4 (with Pack) rarely got close enough in the first half to Diedhiou unless we got it wide first.

Second half, Pack sat, controlled it, whilst Brownhill and Walsh (I'm sure there’ll be a thread to talk about him today!!!) to get in and around Diedhiou, for quick give and go’s, where Diedhiou showed so much more.

If it wasn’t for Butland, we would’ve got a point, and I bet a fair few of us thought we might go on and win it.

5 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

And they were fortunate to win the game mate for that reason. Different when you play away, they totally controlled the first half and we were rubbish. I don't think Johnson knows his best team. 

I think during todays second half Johnson may have stumbled upon his best team from what he has available.  Truly pulsating football, and left us baffled how we got nothing from the game

6 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

When will we see a doctors degree in football? There are doctor degrees in everything apart from football. Someone who can explain what actually happened supported by statistics. Why not financed by Steve Lansdown and why not at the local UNI?

Bore off you weird idiot

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@BS4 on Tour... has been working with him, showing him cine-film from his pomp ??

Just got in, so not read any other threads.  When I saw the line-up assumed we’d go with the set up we did after half an hour on Wednesday (4141) with Pack as the DM, and the midfield 4 all with licence to join Diedhiou.  As it happened, we went 4411, subtlety different, but meant our midfield 4 (with Pack) rarely got close enough in the first half to Diedhiou unless we got it wide first.

Second half, Pack sat, controlled it, whilst Brownhill and Walsh (I'm sure there’ll be a thread to talk about him today!!!) to get in and around Diedhiou, for quick give and go’s, where Diedhiou showed so much more.

If it wasn’t for Butland, we would’ve got a point, and I bet a fair few of us thought we might go on and win it.

If it wasn't for Butland we would have won the game, at least 3 worldie saves

16 hours ago, nickolas said:

One reason - Liam Walsh. 

Best single handed midfield performance, controlling a game, that ive seen for many a year. 

You know what to do LJ. ( and fully expect him to not pick him next week! :grr:). 

looks like we already have a Barry Bannan of our own. but you're right probably wont start next game.

Another reactionary performance from manager/ players. Far too cautious in our plan from the start and needed to bring on our known busy threats to chase the game down. 

Very good second half performance though, so not too disappointed, but we don't seem to learn from these mistakes. 

Walsh was very good, and I've been wanting to see him get some time on the pitch for a while ..... but.
It was against a team that were winning, they didn't need to do anything. They've been on a bad run, are in a poor position and looked to hold on to what they had. It gave us a lot os possession and room to play . I said after the Brentford cameo, he plays with his head up, looks to move the ball and bring people in to play. What showed up yesterday was, he is 2 footed and can also switch the play well. I think he might be the missing creative link we have wanted for a while, but it all depends on how LJ plays him. No doubt a very promising 45.
Webster and Kalas look good, Hunt is ok but I didn't understand the logic in dropping DaSilva after a very good display Wednesday. I get rotation to keep players fresh but surely there has to be a little bit of "play well , keep your place" ?
The problem at the moment as I see it, we have 4/5 playing well and another 3 just not on it. Yesterday although always wanting the ball, Pack was well off his best form. The same for Paterson, better than he has been , but I don't understand how he gets a start . Purely down to system change I would guess yesterday, but after a game changing 30 minutes Wednesday he could easily have had Taylor there and with much more constant threat.
I think yesterday was like so many games where we have done well late on. Teams sit and try and hold what they have, we get a head of steam up and usually nick a goal and people go home happy. Butland stopped that yesterday.

10 hours ago, Aranu said:

As much as the starting XI was not the way forward today, can LJ see today's performances and find a way at for Walsh and Taylor to be in the starting XI?

Think the squad suits 352 personally.

gk

Kallas Webster kelly

hunt pack Walsh Brownhill da silva

taylor Diédhiou 

But with the squad we have we have the possibility of playing a multitude of formations, yet LJ persists with playing 442,but we simply don’t have the midfield to play it, certainly  not to play with 2 wingers. For someone who people talk about as a modern thinking manager, he sets up in a draconian 442 and we end up lumping it most of the time.

and people call warnock a dinosaur 

8 minutes ago, city1983 said:

gk

Kallas Webster kelly

taylor Diédhiou 

But with the squad we have we have the possibility of playing a multitude of formations, yet LJ persists with playing 442,but we simply don’t have the midfield to play it, certainly  not to play with 2 wingers. For someone who people talk about as a modern thinking manager, he sets up in a draconian 442 and we end up lumping it most of the time.

...and you could easily switch to a 442, by moving Hunt back to RB and play Dasilva LM.

The question I was posing to @Major Isewater on another thread is what does this mean for LJ’s recruitment of Watkins, Adelakun, Eliasson, Paterson and O’Dowda....(clue - all wingers - Pato can play no10 too)?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

...and you could easily switch to a 442, by moving Hunt back to RB and play Dasilva LM.

The question I was posing to @Major Isewater on another thread is what does this mean for LJ’s recruitment of Watkins, Adelakun, Eliasson, Paterson and O’Dowda....(clue - all wingers - Pato can play no10 too)?

Wingers or wide midfielders Dave ? 

Ability to run at the opposition from the flanks or tuck in to support the Centre of the  defence. 

Most of them could play more centrally or replace either Diédhiou or Taylor. Or we can play 451. 

Either way we simply do not have a midfield pairing that allows us to play 442 with 2 out and out wingers. It leads us to getting over run in every game.

hopefully yesterday’s 2nd half performance the penny might have finally dropped or he might have stumbled across a team he will stick with. But I fear that he will drop pack or Brownhill for Walsh, and Walsh won’t look half the player he did on Saturday leaving Johnson scratching his head again.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wingers or wide midfielders Dave ? 

Ability to run at the opposition from the flanks or tuck in to support the Centre of the  defence. 

Doesn’t matter what we call them these days imho, but I would probably say Eliasson, Adelakun and O’Dowda were bought as wingers.  Paterson and Watkins are wide forwards.  I’m confused!!

The starting line up was “if there were no knocks or niggles with the available players” utterly weird!

I’m not sure what he thinks sometimes, having said that we lost a football match because we couldn’t convert any of the plethora of second half chances. Any team that plays us knows one goal should be enough for a draw. Not helped by the 45 minutes we often don’t show up for

On 28/10/2018 at 09:43, city1983 said:

gk

Kallas Webster kelly

taylor Diédhiou 

Ran out of likes but very true

Archived