IGNORED

Atmosphere at AG

Bristol Oil Services

That’s what comes of living the Johnson dream!

watch Pato rush to intercept, other players stay back expecting him to actually intercept (the dream Johnson had while dozing through training) but no, once again courage has evaporated and no tackle comes so the opponent plays on unhindered.

Dream or a returning reality? Seen it before in a vertically challenged midfielder havn’t we!

what beggars belief is that our head coach has repeated the miracle 3 games on the trot and actually got one tackle completed by his protege in each of those 3 games!  Nailed on to start in our next 3 games too!

Aside from that we played a blinder in the second half and did not have to wait until the 60th minute for changes! Who said the little one was predictable?

big if but would the score have been 0-1 if Taylor had started, don’t think so but I am not a coach

59 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Today, last Weds, next time, everytime:

First half: 7 shots, 2 on target, 1 corner, visiting keeper a spectator = no atmosphere.

Second half: 15 shots, 6 on target, 6 corners, visiting keeper busy = atmosphere.

It really is that simple (yes, it's the players/head coaches [take your pick] fault).

You are absolutely right. Sometimes you get the impression the crowd is there to enjoy the players.  

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Are you seriously suggesting the team play better with an atmosphere? Try spinning it round and we only get an atmosphere when the team are going for it.

I'm saying, when we attack and threaten the opposition's goal, the crowd respond, get involved. When the ball is in the middle of the pitch or near our goal, there's nothing happening, the AG crowd are quiet. Like pretty much every crowd/ground in this country.

It is up to the players to play with spirit and verve and commitment - like the second half today - and the crowd will respond.

Too often, we play limp, tepid, technically competent football away from the opposition's goal and the crowd are uninvolved. 

It would be wonderful if we were the sort of crowd that could get excited and whip up an atmosphere regardless - like in lively places like Turkey, Argentina etc - but we are not. The players need to set the tone, and get on the front foot. 

15 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I agree, I kept thinking we need an incident to fire up the crowd,  a bad referee decision or a Stoke player squaring up to one if ours maybe.

I'm not sure what did happen but when the crowd started roaring on the team we stepped up big time

Good example of this was Leeds away last season. Not really an incident but when Leeds went 2-0 down, their fans started singing that Champions of Europe song from years back. Fired up the team and the game ended up in a draw. 

4 hours ago, WestMidsRed said:

Good example of this was Leeds away last season. Not really an incident but when Leeds went 2-0 down, their fans started singing that Champions of Europe song from years back. Fired up the team and the game ended up in a draw. 

Yes, there were a few sarcastic taunts when they went two nil down in the first half, then in the second they started singing. Went on for ages

Let's be honest, that was a horrible day to be at football, got soaked pre match and then also during the game, it was freezing cold and the 1st half with pretty crap, no one really wanted to be there it seemed, me included. 

The second half the team put up a fight and the fans reacted to that, suddenly I forgot about being cold and wet, the excitement on the pitch got the blood pumping round my body.

The atmosphere at Ashton Gate these days is very much led by what happens on the pitch. Ashton gate responds well to when we feel wronged or our backs are against the wall. 9 times out of 10 it's always when we are attacking the south stand.

16 hours ago, WestMidsRed said:

That is the best example I can think of in over 40 years of watching City.

I was there and it was quite extraordinary,  they started by singing "we're sh*t and we know we are" then all of a sudden the whole stadium was joining in with that & the Europe song.

Almost straight away every Leeds player looked like they'd had an injection of energy and we were struggling in a game we had dominated up until then. 

Archived