IGNORED

LJ must take blame and credit

Dullmoan Tone

Firstly what other manager would drop the man of the match from the previous game.

Much as I like Kelly he is clearly not yet as good as DeSilva - he must start.

"Resting" your top scorer is unusual - if he is fit.

Surely LJ could see in the first half we were hoofing it forward far too much. If we are going to set up with Pato as a number 10, long balls (esp. against Stoke) will never work.

Yes his subs were able to kick start the game, but if he had started DeSilva then we wouldn't have wasted this sub and could have bought on Taylor earlier.

Why try to be clever keep a winning team if they are fit.

44 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Firstly what other manager would drop the man of the match from the previous game.

Surely LJ could see in the first half we were hoofing it forward far too much. If we are going to set up with Pato as a number 10, long balls (esp. against Stoke) will never work.

Yes his subs were able to kick start the game, but if he had started DeSilva then we wouldn't have wasted this sub and could have bought on Taylor earlier.

Pato has been exceptional in 3 starts - completed 1 tackle per game!

Our coach has been loyal to his favourite player, now that's loyalty! Perhaps we should respond with cheers and clapping when it even looks like he may change the flow of the game in our favour?

nah cloud fund a bung to the players entrance stewards - they might not let him in! The we would have ELEVEN players on the pitch actually playing for the shirt!

53 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Yet some complained that we dropped Kelly for Dasilva....

Weimann may be top scorer but how many games is it since he scored? Taylor was the harsher place on the bench given he didn't start midweek, should have been fresh to start today.

LJs persistence in starting Pato is frankly beyond understanding, on another thread it was likened to the time we kept playing Fontaine when his confidence was shot.

It was good to see LJ making changes at HT, rather than doing his usual sitting on hands until the 60th minute. But DaSliva should have started ahead of Kelly and Taylor should have started instead of Pato, get those two right from the offset and we might well have won today's game.

Walsh made a real difference, he passes quicker and forward more often that not and he passes accurately. Question is will LJ now find a starting place for him, or will he be back on the bench?

LJ got the starting 11 wrong today. Realised that and made two changes at half time - something he rarely, if ever does.

Because of those two changes the second 45 was so much better than the first. It was almost like two different matches. 

On the second half performance a draw would have been a fair result. City dominated for long periods and only local boy Jack  Butland kept them in it.

As LJ often says that the current players are a young group and mistakes are very likely but that’s not forget that LJ himself is in managerial terms, young himself - still in his 30s and like his young players he’ll make mistakes as well as he did today.

34 minutes ago, hodge said:

Yet some complained that we dropped Kelly for Dasilva....

Weimann may be top scorer but how many games is it since he scored? Taylor was the harsher place on the bench given he didn't start midweek, should have been fresh to start today.

I said from the start running about a bit like weinmann doesn’t make him a goal scorer and was laughed at after his first 5 games,sadly I’m proven right and none of us are laughing 

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. If we go direct it would actually be far better to have two runners in Weimman and Taylor up there. Or have Diedhiou as the target man and 2 wingers higher up the pitch. Going direct to Diedhiou and Paterson never going to be effective. But I am not sure that was the original plan, it's just we couldn't keep the ball as we were outnumbered in the midfield. Look how easy it was for Woods. Class player who Paterson was constantly behind and not getting on him at all.

I'd like if we play Diedhiou, a midfield of Pack, Brownhill, Walsh with perhaps O'Dowda and Eliasson as wingers pushed high to support Diedhiou leading the line.

Starting shape today v a midfield containing Allen and Woods? Not the sharpest of decisions!

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I said from the start running about a bit like weinmann doesn’t make him a goal scorer and was laughed at after his first 5 games,sadly I’m proven right and none of us are laughing 

I think Weimann would be a great second striker, someone you look to chip in with 10-15 goals in a season, but he needs a out and out goalscorer who fits our style with him to take the pressure off.

Weimann or Taylor would thrive on the kind of balls Walsh played forward in the second half today, much more than Paterson or Diedhiou. Even given Butland's heroics today, we are still struggling to set up the midfield to provide for the front line and really get it firing.

5 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Agree with you about DaSilva. Its a bit of a joke he was dropped for Kelly and makes me feel its only done cus Kelly is "one of our own" at this point. Its ridiculous, I thought DaSilva was class against Hull, and should never have been dropped. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ got the starting 11 wrong today. Realised that and made two changes at half time - something he rarely, if ever does.

Because of those two changes the second 45 was so much better than the first. It was almost like two different matches. 

On the second half performance a draw would have been a fair result. City dominated for long periods and only local boy Jack  Butland kept them in it.

As LJ often says that the current players are a young group and mistakes are very likely but that’s not forget that LJ himself is in managerial terms, young himself - still in his 30s and like his young players he’ll make mistakes as well as he did today.

Bollocks!! 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

How many more mistakes is he gonna make Al we had to bring on two subs cause he ****** up again be honest an say he picked the wrong team again was only left with one alternative late on he should have took his boyfriend off but no he didn't want to admit he ****** up

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

Agree with you about DaSilva. Its a bit of a joke he was dropped for Kelly and makes me feel its only done cus Kelly is "one of our own" at this point. Its ridiculous, I thought DaSilva was class against Hull, and should never have been dropped. 

LJ said Kelly was rested on Wednesday, sompossibky the plan to play Kelly yesterday, given Dasilva would’ve played the best part of two games and then a third in 7 days had he started yesterday.

I think a lot of us thought he’d bring Kelly back in, 1) Stoke quite physical, albeit not like a Pulis team, 2) Tom Ince on RW, Kelly the better defender on paper.

I had no issues with the starting eleven yesterday, but too easy in hindsight to see a sub come on and play well and say he should  have started.  I did think setting up as 4411, was wrong, and that Wednesday’s 4141 (after 30 minutes), would be more suitable.

Even the biggest Walsh backers (I’ve not seen enough, although encouraged v Brentford) probably didn’t see such an influential midfield performance coming against a Stoke midfield of Adam, Allen and Woods....to have picked him from the start.

Archived