IGNORED

Goin Nowhere Doin Nothing

longyears

With LJ in charge that is us - will not challenge for promotion and will likely not flirt with relegation. If that is what SL and the club wants then fair enough. Just wonder how long people will buy a season ticket to be bored by mediocrity and no real reason to care whether we win or lose. Any opinions out there..............?

1 minute ago, Redsi2 said:

Yes, look what Ipswich fans wanted and what they got. I would be more than happy with middle of the road for a bit.

Bang on, how often have we been a consistent mid championship team? GJ had a few seasons before the slide, bit entitled to think that mid table is not good enough for us.

2 hours ago, longyears said:

With LJ in charge that is us - will not challenge for promotion and will likely not flirt with relegation. If that is what SL and the club wants then fair enough. Just wonder how long people will buy a season ticket to be bored by mediocrity and no real reason to care whether we win or lose. Any opinions out there..............?

agree, not showing any ambition so why should I, and have had a season ticket for 25 years, said exactly the same as I came out of the ground and with the trusty red button and more and more games on Friday Sunday god knows what kick of time unless by some fluke we gain promotion then that's my last season ticket for a while sorry.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

agree, not showing any ambition so why should I, and have had a season ticket for 25 years, said exactly the same as I came out of the ground and with the trusty red button and more and more games on Friday Sunday god knows what kick of time unless by some fluke we gain promotion then that's my last season ticket for a while sorry.

So after 25 years as a season ticket holder watching about half of those seasons in the 3rd tier you think that being in the top half of the Championship, 3 points off the play offs, 5 points off there automatic promotion place and only 7 off the top spot warrants chucking in your season ticket?

35 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

So after 25 years as a season ticket holder watching about half of those seasons in the 3rd tier you think that being in the top half of the Championship, 3 points off the play offs, 5 points off there automatic promotion place and only 7 off the top spot warrants chucking in your season ticket?

umm yes I do, and after the same amount of time you may well think the same, look I love city as much as the next man probably more, but there comes a time when you think am I happy with the status quo (cue down down deeper and down jokes) and no I am not sorry.

16 minutes ago, pillred said:

umm yes I do, and after the same amount of time you may well think the same, look I love city as much as the next man more probably more, but there comes a time when you think am I happy with the status quo (cue down down deeper and down jokes) and no I am not sorry.

You seem to assume I haven't supported City very long I'm 53 and started going when I was about 12 which is about 40 years, admittedly not always a season ticket holder.

My (realistic IMO) hopes and expectations for this season were:

*Midtable.

*A lot of bedding in of new players after all the changes- a building year if you like.

*Some notable scalps however.

*A clear and cohesive tactical plan for now and the future, including Plan B and the like.

Think we're on course for 3/4, the last the jury is out IMO but occasional flashes (tactical ploy v Sheffield United and the tweaks v Hull) do give me hope that LJ could be learning.

2 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

You seem to assume I haven't supported City very long I'm 53 and started going when I was about 12 which is about 40 years, admittedly not always a season ticket holder.

sorry, then that gives you another 9 years before becoming as disillusioned and cynical as me. 

31 minutes ago, pillred said:

sorry, then that gives you another 9 years before becoming as disillusioned and cynical as me. 

I would love us to be an established premiership team in the next nine years but being a cynical, aren't we all, City fan I think there is more chance of us being in League 2.

I think with this squad we have this year we dont have the same agreesive game play, maybe LJ lacks confidence in his team.  we do miss players ( we sold ) who can turn a game on it's head with a little magic.  Maybe the team will improve as we get players back from injury but sadly last season was a really good chance to get a top 6 finish and it didnt work out. 

There is quite a bit of tinkering espcially with strike partnerships but at the moment the league is close , so  I could think of worse times to tinker a little aslong as LJ sticks to a team soon. In the end it just goes back to where you want city to finish and are your hopes realistic? Our defence is organised our midfield although not that creative does it's job , I don't think we'll finish lower than say 14th but with some injury luck and  scoring from all over team top 10 is possible. 

44 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I would love us to be an established premiership team in the next nine years but being a cynical, aren't we all, City fan I think there is more chance of us being in League 2.

and there in a nutshell is what supporting city is, hoping against hope that things will change wont they? and knowing in your heart of hearts they probably wont, if that sound defeatist then that is what 52 years of going to ashton gate and every season thinking this is going to be the year it changes, yes we have had our moments but what we all really want, well apart from those happy to be a mid table championship side and build slowly for a future that never seems to materialise is to finally be a team that lives up to representing the 6th or 7th largest city in the country and realises the potential we all know they have.   

9 hours ago, pillred said:

What do you actually mean by ‘ambition’?

We have the best facilities we have ever had and our owner is just about to dip in and spend another 150m on a training ground and new facilties that will increase turnover,

we are now slowly being able to bring championship players to the club and pay slightly better wages which need funding hence we need to sell our best players just like the majority of other teams, we are still not able to pay 40k a week to players. 

57 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Oh, shut up.  Literally, do you expect us to be challenging every year? Winning trophy's? 

Not being funny, if that is your want and need, I'd suggest saving yourself a lot of stress and buy yourself a Manchester City shirt. 

Look at the league!!! Look at it.

Sheff Utd  - Bigger than us - Prem experience
Leeds  - Bigger - played in champions League 
Middlesbrough  - Bigger - Prem experience
Norwich   - Bigger - Prem experience
West Brom   - Bigger - Prem last season
Derby  - Bigger Prem experience
Nottm Forest - Bigger - Prem experience
Swansea - Bigger -  Resent Prem experience
Birmingham  - Bigger - been in the prem
QPR   - Bigger - Been in the Prem
Blackburn - Bigger - won the prem
Stoke  - Bigger - Been in the prem
Wigan  - Bigger - Been in the prem and recent FA cup win
Sheff Wed - Bigger - Been in the Prem
Brentford  - Same size, maybe smaller
Aston Villa  - Bigger - Huge Prem history
Millwall  - Same size 
Bolton - been in the Prem
Preston  - Same size 
Rotherham  - Smaller
Reading  - Been in the Prem
Hull - Been in the Prem
Ipswich - Been in the Prem

Now, you can argue the word bigger etc, but just look at the league! Top that off with our mid range wages, league history and geographical location and it doesn't take a genius to work out that we are punching. LJ is doing a fantastic job of making this club a stable championship team. That's what we need before kicking on. He's worked wonders doing that, competing against all the teams mention above. We are flirting with the playsoff too, staying above teams like Aston Villa and Stoke in the.process. 

GIVE THE GUY A ******* BREAK. In my eyes he's doing a fantastic job. 

Great post. Does amaze me that after a loss meltdown seems to ensue. 

“Going nowhere doing nothing” my arse, already seeing improvements from last year, a slow and steady building process. 

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Oh, shut up.  Literally, do you expect us to be challenging every year? Winning trophy's? 

Not being funny, if that is your want and need, I'd suggest saving yourself a lot of stress and buy yourself a Manchester City shirt. 

Millwall  - Same size 
Preston  - Same size 
Rotherham  - Smaller
Hull - Been in the Prem

Now, you can argue the word bigger etc, but just look at the league! Top that off with our mid range wages, league history and geographical location and it doesn't take a genius to work out that we are punching. LJ is doing a fantastic job of making this club a stable championship team. That's what we need before kicking on. He's worked wonders doing that, competing against all the teams mention above. We are flirting with the playsoff too, staying above teams like Aston Villa and Stoke in the.process. 

I think the point you make is a very valid one and I believe that Johnson is doing a great job and I'm really happy with the progress City have made in he past 5 years. However, I would challenge some of your rankings of clubs. For me City are bigger than Swansea, QPR, Wigan, Brentford and Preston. I accept QPR have a more successful history than us and if you go back over 100 years so do Preston.

14 hours ago, longyears said:

You really are a pathetic man that’s my opinion.

31 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think the point you make is a very valid one and I believe that Johnson is doing a great job and I'm really happy with the progress City have made in he past 5 years. However, I would challenge some of your rankings of clubs. For me City are bigger than Swansea, QPR, Wigan, Brentford and Preston. I accept QPR have a more successful history than us and if you go back over 100 years so do Preston.

Swansea only just came down from the prem after several seasons, once they get the wages sorted and ditch the high earners their parachute payments will see them right up there again.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Huddersfield, Palace, Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Fulham, Cardiff, even Leics, Southampton; I can remember us playing these teams regularly, many in this division where are they now all in THE PREM, where are we, still here. Reason; poor selection of managers and lack of any real ambition to go for it and make progress.

We are still where we were some 50yrs ago where`s the progress again?

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Millwall  - Same size 
Preston  - Same size 
Rotherham  - Smaller
Hull - Been in the Prem

Weren't Millwall also in the Prem at one time ? 

26 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Huddersfield, Palace, Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, Fulham, Cardiff, even Leics, Southampton; I can remember us playing these teams regularly, many in this division where are they now all in THE PREM, where are we, still here. Reason; poor selection of managers and lack of any real ambition to go for it and make progress.

We are still where we were some 50yrs ago where`s the progress again?

We are finally being run as a professional football club, with a plan .

The progress is that we are better prepared for the Championship and not struggling against relegation from this division each year.

The progress is in the quality of the players signed by the club and that of the youngsters coming through the academy. 

How many of our not so recent academy players have gone on to achieve anything of note since leaving the club ?

Now we have the likes of Reid and Bryan going to Prem clubs and Kelly captaining an England U20's side.

Progress is in the revenue generated by the club to support our ambitions, the Prem is possible not just a ' the Gas will become a Championship side ' pipe dream.

I could go on.

No one at the club is sitting on their hands saying ' we're where we want to be ' the momentum is upwards.

So maybe not progressing as fast as some would like but progress nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Millwall  - Same size 
Preston  - Same size 
Rotherham  - Smaller
Hull - Been in the Prem

This "been in the Prem" thing: I think this might describe our "mindset" first half yesterday. We saw, second half, that Stoke were very ordinary, and not to be fearful of,  and that we wasted a great opportunity. I think team selection, tactical "set up" and how you prepare all week communicate a lot of unspoken messages to the team, communicate a lot about belief. I hope Lee is seeing the sports psychologist this week!

I don't expect Sheff Utd have that mental approach at the moment.

Lee is doing a good job, I would say (fantastic would be Wilder, at Sheff Utd), keeping us in the top half of this division. But some people have high expectations (not least the owner) and if they have their hearts set on promotion, then we need a head coach doing an exceptional job, not merely a good one.

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Millwall  - Same size 
Preston  - Same size 
Rotherham  - Smaller
Hull - Been in the Prem

I can also add that we've regularly played Portsmouth, Bradford City , Barnsley , Sunderland, Oldham, all ex Prem sides where are they now? 

12 hours ago, pillred said:

Watching for 50 years, season ticket for 38 of those, and very happy with where we are and where we're going at the moment. I haven't seen many years of more consistent progress and if there being some evidence of a plan to bring players through the club than I am now. 

Archived