IGNORED

Fammy

Silvio Dante

Haven’t seen a thread on him as yet.

Its fair to say, I’ve been a critic of FD this year - I think he’s regressed, and when he’s played we’ve been poorer.

However, today was the best he’s been all season. He was on it, battling for everything and chasing opponents down, geeing up the crowd. Unlucky not to score too - but for me, the key to that performance today was work rate and desire which had been lacking this year.

The negative was that he lost the ball that led to the goal, but I think we had more than enough time to sort that out and as it came from him working back, don’t hugely see him at fault.

If he can keep that up, he is a £5m striker - was better by a stretch than Adobe or Berahino. Deserved a goal and a very good performance 

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its fair to say, I’ve been a critic of FD this year - I think he’s regressed, and when he’s played we’ve been poorer.

However, today was the best he’s been all season. He was on it, battling for everything and chasing opponents down, geeing up the crowd. Unlucky not to score too - but for me, the key to that performance today was work rate and desire which had been lacking this year.

The negative was that he lost the ball that led to the goal, but I think we had more than enough time to sort that out and as it came from him working back, don’t hugely see him at fault.

If he can keep that up, he is a £5m striker - was better by a stretch than Adobe or Berahino. Deserved a goal and a very good performance 

I thought he linked up well with Walsh 2nd half, one two's and spinning off

The endeavour was better but his touch and control were lacking still and his goalscoring instincts are pretty poor.  I mean, how on earth as a striker do you end up behind both centre halves well wide of the back post when a ball is fizzed across the six yard box?  It's easy, get in between them or get across them.  That being said he took a good ten games last season to start looking the part so maybe he is just a slow starter.  It's a shame Mo Eisa is injured, a poacher in the second half would have been well fed.

Totally agree @Nibor he didn’t attack the ball enough when we had Stoke under the kosh in the second half. For me he just doesn’t show the strikers instinct of predicting where the ball will be.

I hope Fammy proves me wrong but I think he is a long way off a 20 plus goals a season striker. 

2 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

Totally agree @Nibor he didn’t attack the ball enough when we had Stoke under the kosh in the second half. For me he just doesn’t show the strikers instinct of predicting where the ball will be.

I hope Fammy proves me wrong but I think he is a long way off a 20 plus goals a season striker. 

I wonder if he needs a partner to really be effective.  Some of his positioning is as though he's used to mopping up around someone who attacks the right areas.

For a player at this level, his touch is utterly woeful.

He tried hard today but , as always, he does not attack the ball when a cross ball comes in - he waits for the ball to come to him, not the direct opposite.

I know that £5m does not get you much in today's market but I doubt we will get our money back.

40 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The endeavour was better but his touch and control were lacking still and his goalscoring instincts are pretty poor.  I mean, how on earth as a striker do you end up behind both centre halves well wide of the back post when a ball is fizzed across the six yard box?  It's easy, get in between them or get across them.  That being said he took a good ten games last season to start looking the part so maybe he is just a slow starter.  It's a shame Mo Eisa is injured, a poacher in the second half would have been well fed.

I think anyone you believes Mo Eisa is going to be the solution to our goal scoring problems is likely to be rather disappointed.

He’s not the finished article and his touch at times is loose (almost Lakuka like). He anticipated well on Wednesday for his goal and unlucky not to score with his two headers today. Not the finished article but in my view a solid Championship striker who will improve. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

He was on it, battling for everything and chasing opponents down, geeing up the crowd. Unlucky not to score too - but for me, the key to that performance today was work rate and desire which had been lacking this year.

Its October and fans are still waiting to see him working hard week in week out. Says it all.

49 minutes ago, Nibor said:

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

For a player at this level, his touch is utterly woeful.

He tried hard today but , as always, he does not attack the ball when a cross ball comes in - he waits for the ball to come to him, not the direct opposite.

I know that £5m does not get you much in today's market but I doubt we will get our money back.

Can’t agree with either of you today about his touch.  Virtually everything into his feet stuck today.  Martins-Indi put his head on the block at least half a dozen times in the second half as Fammy launched himself towards headers.  I think you’ve both made up your minds and aren’t seeing anything he does as positive.  

What about his header against the bar, a ball with little pace on it, yet generated power to beat Butland.

Just compare his back-to-goal performance to Afobe!!!  

Disappointed you can’t see that was a good performance today from Fam.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t agree with either of you today about his touch.  Virtually everything into his feet stuck today.  Martins-Indi put his head on the block at least half a dozen times in the second half as Fammy launched himself towards headers.  I think you’ve both made up your minds and aren’t seeing anything he does as positive. 

Well, you're wrong.  I've been quite positive about Fammy particularly last season when he was playing well.  The header was great today but when every ball to chest runs three or four yards it's not really clear how anybody can see that as good touch.  When he plays well I'll be the first to say so.  I think he was middle of the road today and has to improve quite a bit yet.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Well, you're wrong.  I've been quite positive about Fammy particularly last season when he was playing well.  The header was great today but when every ball to chest runs three or four yards it's not really clear how anybody can see that as good touch.  When he plays well I'll be the first to say so.  I think he was middle of the road today and has to improve quite a bit yet.

Fair enough, soz, opinions ain’t it.  Just surprised to come in late tonight and see criticism of Fam’s touch.  To me, that was his best performance of the season, and I thought he held it up really well today.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Fair enough, soz, opinions ain’t it.  Just surprised to come in late tonight and see criticism of Fam’s touch.  To me, that was his best performance of the season, and I thought he held it up really well today.

It might well be his best performance of the season but it's a far cry from what he was doing last season IMO.  I don't think Patterson helped him much to be fair.

8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It might well be his best performance of the season but it's a far cry from what he was doing last season IMO.  I don't think Patterson helped him much to be fair.

I don’t think it worked as Pato as the no10 in the 4411, but I thought it did when he went left in a 4141.  Which I think is the best formation to get the best out of our midfield.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

I agree, doesn’t look much of a goal threat to me at the moment.

Twice in the 2nd half I thought that he wasn’t physical enough twice when a low ball came in and when just he and one other defender were vying for that ball, better to have tried and maybe given a foul away than do nothing.

Gave the ball away that started the attack for their goal due to his poor control

Misplaced a ten yard pass to put Pato in but passing behind him

Awful touch throughout 

Didn’t gamble on front post once throughout the whole game despite some lovely crosses going into that area.

He did try hard and he is a presence but I am sure Williams and Indi are glad he played and not Taylor who is much more tricky 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What about his header against the bar, a ball with little pace on it, yet generated power to beat Butland.

Just compare his back-to-goal performance to Afobe!!!  

Disappointed you can’t see that was a good performance today from Fam.

Im Sorry but if you're comparing Afobe with Diedhiou there's only one winner!!

Afobe is far superior in every single aspect!! 

4 hours ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

Well, he scored 13 last season while missing 14 games through injury. So he is certainly not as far off as you are making out.

He's not a Tammy Abraham style goal poacher, that's never been his game. Agree entirely he was wasted on the opportunities we were creating second half, but that doesn't have to be his fault, it's not his game, he prefers to drop and play with the ball at his feet and defenders in front of him. We've seen that time and again with the chances he does create (like the winner on Wednesday). What little I've seen of Eisa I would at least back up the view that he'd have been more suited.

The irony is that we were playing more of a Fam game in the first half, knocking diagonals into the channels and trying to build from around the box, and bar when he gave the ball away for the goal, I thought he was doing okay, certainly more than anyone around him, the issue was a) no one moved or showed for it so if you're Fam you've got to control the ball and beat a few defenders just to get started and b) we were mainly punting the channel balls to Eliasson against a 6ft defender.

As a style of play second half we were fantastic, it's not football that we've produced much of this season so we have not had much reason to highlight the lack of a poacher - Walsh's passing gave us time to build and create the overlaps on both wings, which created all those wonderful crossing opportunities, the problem is in Fam, Paterson and Taylor, we've got deceptively identical players who all want to get on the ball from deep (or perhaps the second ball as others have said). 

So for me Fam's biggest problem is he looks like one type of striker but plays like a totally different kind of forward - yet people still rate him on their expectations of him fulfilling the former role, which isn't really his fault. He certainly doesn't have the instinct or speed of thought to get the sort of six yard box goals we were teeing up yesterday. The wider issue here is our identity - what is it? I honestly haven't thought "Plan A" was anything like that second half football, which is odd...

10 hours ago, super slick said:

Im Sorry but if you're comparing Afobe with Diedhiou there's only one winner!!

Afobe is far superior in every single aspect!! 

Yesterday you thought Afobe had a better game than Diedhiou?  Afobe held it up so well yesterday, Stoke didn’t get out of their half!!

I have no issue if you think Afobe is a better player than Diedhiou, but yesterday I thought he did nothing.

On 27/10/2018 at 20:01, Silvio Dante said:

Dele Alli cost Spurs less than we paid for Fammy.....

Archived