IGNORED

Helicopter Crash - Leicester Owner

Maesknoll Red

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, but I was replying to a poster who said it was a fact that Southgate had travelled to the game in the helicopter.....but it matters not now, it’s just an awful, awful tragedy....

Indeed, and if it was the case that Gareth Southgate was on the helicopter prior to the match then he is counting his blessings that he is still with us.

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, but I was replying to a poster who said it was a fact that Southgate had travelled to the game in the helicopter.....but it matters not now, it’s just an awful, awful tragedy....

No, you misread, 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

it's the fact he was known to have travelled to Leicester games on board that very same helicopter and he was at the game

I'm greatly relieved that it appears Southgate wasn't on board and I bet right now he is feeling a very lucky man for making different arrangements for this game. 

But Southgate aside this is a horrible tragedy and my thoughts are with Leicester and everyone associated with Leicester and the owner. 

By all accounts on his birthday he would by fans a pint and a slice of cake and at Xmas a pint and a mince pie, in this modern game when owners try to fleece fans out of as much money as they can then small gestures like that are an incredible thing to do, the footballing world will be poorer without him.

Genuinely upset. Thinking of all affected by this awful tragedy.

Vichai was obviously one of the rare owners who cared not just for the business but for the community.

That community is broken right now but Vichai's legacy will live on.

The Wolves fan that laid a shirt had it spot on. "Divided by colours, united in grief". #FootballFamily 

RIP ?

Certainly a reminder of how fragile life is. Five families will never be the same again, their lives changed forever in a blink of an eye. They were only attending a football match, something so routine they probably wouldn’t have even given it a second thought, even if they were travelling by helicopter. 

My thoughts are with the families, grief is bad enough when it is private but to be so public after a tragedy doesn’t bear thinking about. It sounds like Leicester Football Club, it’s Community and football in general has lost a really decent man, as I said life will never be the same again. RIP

It appears that the helicopter pilot saved many lives by steering the helicopter away from crowds. It’s people like this and the owner who did so much for the Leicester community who should be recognised in the New Years honours. Thoughts to everyone affected by this horrible tragedy. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

He certainly seemed very close to the players which is a rare thing for an owner these days. The tweet from Kasper certainly brings a tear to the eye.

I think it shows what can happen when a football club has good owners. The family certainly appear to have brought into Leicester City FC and the city itself.

It’s extremely sad that such a tradegy took place, but like others have said but for the skill and experience of the pilot it could have been a lot more than just five deaths 

41 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Read somewhere else that the pilot and co-pilot were a couple, the co-pilot has a profile on the Polish Embassy website.

https://london.mfa.gov.pl/en/news/polka100/izabela_lechowicz/

BBC said earlier it was the pilot and his girlfriend who had died, saying she was a journalist who were travelling the world together. Seems she is also a pilot, hence the early reports of saying there were two pilots on board. 

I was doing some reading around those that tragically died, because it's usually only the biggest name that is reported. The pilot involved in the crash was apparently very skilled at his craft, and by all accounts manoeuvred well enough before impact to ensure that the helicopter didn't crash into a busy road.

On the Leicester City owner, throughout the years I've always felt that they've been lucky to have an owner as passionate as Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha. He took them from obscurity and always tried to do right by them, and he had the money to back it up. I remember when we all scoffed at their spending in the Championship, and at times their push felt forced, but in all fairness to him he spent well, and when they entered the Premier League he hired well with Ranieri. A lot of fans are (for good reason) wary of foreign investors with zero connection to the area, but Leicester City lucked out, and their fans have had nothing but great things to say about him. He saved their football club, and never wavered in his support for their club and their community, and for that he'll be fondly remembered for generations.

I really hope that they either build a statue for him, or name their stadium (or stand) after him. 

2 hours ago, citymum said:

It appears that the helicopter pilot saved many lives by steering the helicopter away from crowds. It’s people like this and the owner who did so much for the Leicester community who should be recognised in the New Years honours. Thoughts to everyone affected by this horrible tragedy. 

With all due respect to those killed, I think this is tabloid nonsense. The helicopter was presumably completely out of control, he crashed so close to the stadium, I doubt he had any input whatsoever to where it actually crashed. The tabloids even marked out a kids play area on the map, as if he swerved to avoid it, when in reality there were no details available whatsoever until late yesterday, and even they were scarce.

39 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

With all due respect to those killed, I think this is tabloid nonsense. The helicopter was presumably completely out of control, he crashed so close to the stadium, I doubt he had any input whatsoever to where it actually crashed. The tabloids even marked out a kids play area on the map, as if he swerved to avoid it, when in reality there were no details available whatsoever until late yesterday, and even they were scarce.

Regardless, we won't know until the AAIB have investigated and concluded. That will be many months from now. 

They will have to examine the wreckage, the flight history, the pilot history, black box if on-board, witness statements and images from the accident. There will no doubt be CCTV, dashcam footage from cars parked nearby and potential people videoing it as many people would do on any other day, not expecting the result.

Thankfully, that footage will never be shared publicly.

But to speculate about a pilot making a split second decision in order to save others, we just won't know. We may never know. But if it makes the pilot's family feel a little better that he was a hero, I wouldn't be the one to cast doubt on that.

35 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Regardless, we won't know until the AAIB have investigated and concluded. That will be many months from now. 

They will have to examine the wreckage, the flight history, the pilot history, black box if on-board, witness statements and images from the accident. There will no doubt be CCTV, dashcam footage from cars parked nearby and potential people videoing it as many people would do on any other day, not expecting the result.

Thankfully, that footage will never be shared publicly.

But to speculate about a pilot making a split second decision in order to save others, we just won't know. We may never know. But if it makes the pilot's family feel a little better that he was a hero, I wouldn't be the one to cast doubt on that.

Well exactly, completely agree with your post. But regarding the bold bit, unfortunately making out the pilot was a hero has nothing to do with making the family feel better, it in fact has everything to do with completely making up a story to try and sell newspapers.

12 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Well exactly, completely agree with your post. But regarding the bold bit, unfortunately making out the pilot was a hero has nothing to do with making the family feel better, it in fact has everything to do with completely making up a story to try and sell newspapers.

That's the bit that really boils my piss, and our tabloids just can't help themselves. It was an out of control helicopter, if they had any chance of controlling it they would have. To write they steered it away from more danger is utter nonsense. A plane could have some control depending on what controls they lost because it can glide, a helicopter, absolutely can't.

We all knew these types of people at school who just could not just tell a story without adding a heap of fairy tales, I often wondered what happened to them when they left, we may have the answer.

14 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Is there anyone on here who lives nearby the stadium. Could go and put something outside the ground on behalf of our fans. Just a thought :( 

The fans are looking to fund a statue but asking for help on where to start. Can someone at BCST with Experience on the Atyeo statue offer some help?

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/117289-a-statue-of-vichai/?page=2

• Admin
2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

But to speculate about a pilot making a split second decision in order to save others, we just won't know. 

54 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

34 minutes ago, screech said:

It was an out of control helicopter, if they had any chance of controlling it they would have.

I have to disagree with the above posts, there are plenty of eye witness accounts saying the helicopter changed direction and crashed in a quieter area of the surround, like at AG8 there would still have been plenty of people milling around outside the stadium an hour after the match. The pilot would have been trained to control the helicopter as much as he could, ironically if they had have been higher up he would have had a better chance of gaining full control (you stall the engine to stop it spinning)

The pilot IS a hero for what he did, he'd have known they were doomed but still had the mental nous to do what he did

RIP #THEBOSS

7C9D61E5-D0BD-4B5F-AF68-D4E529FA5872.thumb.jpeg.927c89e7c75adc33d694ac007fb93f55.jpeg

• Admin

It's English football's greatest miracle and Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha made it possible... the man in the helicopter

By: Martin Samuel

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6326845/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Vichai-Srivaddhanaprabha-Leicesters-miracle-man.html

It was one of the most evocative, yet strangely incongruous, sights in football. The bright blue helicopter, landing in the centre circle. It told of money, of power, of what the game in England had become.

The spectacle would begin normally. The final whistle blew, the match finished and, first, Leicester's ground staff would enter the field with their mowers. The stadium had emptied by then, save the odd media presence and revellers in the executive boxes, as a dozen of them marched up and down, making the surface ready for the next game.

Then a signal would be given and they would move aside, standing patiently along the bylines at each end, waiting. And you would hear it, somewhere in the blackness, the unmistakable whirr of approaching machinery. It always sounded strangely ominous, alien, like an echo of Close Encounters; the way the visitors' spacecraft set off electrical equipment and made rail signals sing.

Lights would appear in the dark sky, loose paper and other light debris would start to blow. And it would be here. Maybe it was just the foreignness of it all that was so captivating. A flying machine landing in the heart of a football stadium. It took up the centre circle, but seemed much bigger, the way a dragonfly might in a summerhouse.

And that's all it was, really. Just a very rich guy, taking the shortest route home.

Travel by helicopters, by light aircraft, has grown much more commonplace as football's wealth has increased. Yet here was the most tangible symbol of what the Premier League had become, and where it was going. Owners from Thailand, resident in Berkshire, landing their helicopter on the pitch at their East Midlands football club.

This was a 21st-century image, a 21st-century journey, a 21st-century club.

And out they would come, across the pitch. Leicester's wealthy custodians.

Often carrying light luggage, not suitcases, but boxes, probably paperwork, maybe gifts — on one occasion what looked like the Premier League trophy, or certainly its replica. And then the rotor blades would spin — an unmistakable, unnerving noise, again — and the wind would kick up and the giant machine would lift and hover for a second or two, as helicopters always do disconcertingly, and then up and away, over the stadium roof and south, to home.

It was not the easiest take-off or landing, said those familiar with flight. The stadium walls made for wicked cross-winds and swells and it took a very skilled pilot to get the family in and out safely, each week.

Except on Saturday, when that did not happen; when on the way to Luton Airport to meet a private plane to Thailand, there was a technical failure, a rapid descent and an explosion near car park E which claimed the lives of all on board. From here, can anything ever be the same again at Leicester?

The full extent of the tragedy was still emerging on Sunday, but what is now known is that five are dead and one of them is Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, Leicester's owner and, as such, the man who made English football's greatest miracle happen.

It is not just his own family who will feel bereaved by this terrible accident. The sorrow in the streets around Leicester on Saturday as news of the tragedy broke, the flowers that have since overwhelmed the space between gates 54 and 57 at the stadium, spoke for what Srivaddhanaprabha has done for the city, and its community.

They are not Ly-sess-ta any more, because of him. Nobody wonders where Leicester is on a map. Their sporting triumph, becoming the English league's most surprising winners in 2016, captured imaginations worldwide and brought visitors from across the globe just to be there on the day the trophy was presented. The magic will endure even with such a tragic conclusion.

Leicester will remain the byword for the impossible dreams held by fans of any small club; it will stay an inspiration through decades, maybe centuries. And he made it possible. The man in the helicopter. His landing in Leicester was the greatest thing that happened to the city; and for those lucky enough to watch it unfold, probably the greatest thing to happen to English football too.

Yet his influence spread wider. Srivaddhanaprabha was a resident of the Home Counties, a 100-acre site in Berkshire home to 80 polo ponies, but he embraced Leicester, the city, as well as Leicester City, the club.

He donated £2million to the building of a new children's hospital, £100,000 to the fund to rebury Richard III. He gave £23,000 to a Leicester supporter who was raising money for research into MECP2 duplication syndrome, his son's rare genetic disorder, affecting neurodevelopment.

His generosity was maverick: 60 free season tickets to mark his 60th birthday, cake and free beers for the whole stadium on special occasions. He would treat the players to lavish dinners, gave them a fleet of sporty BMWs when they won the league, a £10,000 chip each to gamble at a private club on winning promotion.

Srivaddhanaprabha was a name bestowed on Vichai by King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, in recognition of his business work and charitable deeds. It means 'light of progressive glory' — and that is what Khun Vichai, as he was known in Thailand, has been to his football club.

When, in a battle against relegation, the fans responded positively and noisily to having 30,000 free cardboard clappers placed on every seat, Srivaddhanaprabha ensured it was done for every home game, at a cost of £12,000 each time.

The expense, for a year's supply, grew to £280,000, but it gave the King Power Stadium a unique energy and feel. It takes a special owner to note the importance of such minor details, to recognise the club's culture as equal to his own. So, yes, Buddhist monks would perform blessings and the victory parade after Leicester's title win saw banners of Thailand's king being given equal billing to the trophy, but Leicester remained the Foxes, stayed blue, ran out to the Post Horn Gallop as they had always done. They were resolutely Leicester, and rooted, no matter the heights to which Srivaddhanaprabha's largesse took them.

This — and the miracle of 2015-16, of course — is why the supporters were so protective of Khun Vichai, even when his decisions were controversial.

Football supporters and well-wishers gathered at Leicester's King Power Stadium on Sunday

Dismissing Claudio Ranieri, the manager in that epic title-winning season, less than 12 months after it had been achieved, may be the most polarising call of any owner in the Premier League era. Yet Srivaddhanaprabha's local popularity stayed undiminished.

It is to soon to consider Leicester's future. Yet there will be a time when Srivaddhanaprabha's family must address what Leicester means to them, and whether the association is to continue as before. Son Aiyawatt, known as Top, is the vice-chairman and could take the club on, in his father's name.

Equally, there will be pain, an unavoidable emotional imprint around what happened at the King Power Stadium on October 27, 2018, and the terrible personal cost. Can the family set that heartbreak aside, and carry on?

At the end of last season, Khun Vichai wrote of 'the unique spirit of togetherness that defines this club'. Leicester will need this more than ever in the months ahead, as they come to terms with what was lost in that fateful, final flight. 

I have to agree that I doubt he would have had much or any control as it sounds like it was fairly close to the ground and it would have come down very quickly. I suspect it was just luck that it landed in a place where no one was etc. Be interesting to see what investigation says on it though - guess anything more before then is speculation.

RIP all involved. I loved watching Leicester win the title in 15/16 - one of the great sporting stories of all time.

Archived