IGNORED

Max O’Leary

formerly known as ivan

7 hours ago, JBFC II said:

He's a good shot stopper with some decent distribution. 

However, he flaps at corners too often and seems to panic under pressure. A calmer head will come with experience but for now I'd stick to niki when he comes back

How is he meant to get experience at this level, if we don’t play him. 

2 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

How is he meant to get experience at this level, if we don’t play him. 

He needs experience of first team football, not at this level in particular. 

He's had three games now and although he's looked good he hasn't really been tested enough to warrant a starting place when niki comes back

Done everything that’s been asked of him, conceded just one goal in three games, some fantastic saves, nothing negative about that. Occasional poor distribution, but for a young lad thrown in at the deep end, we should be really proud of him.

He can only get better, so good to see our youngsters stepping up when required.

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Done everything that’s been asked of him, conceded just one goal in three games, some fantastic saves, nothing negative about that. Occasional poor distribution, but for a young lad thrown in at the deep end, we should be really proud of him.

He can only get better, so good to see our youngsters stepping up when required.

Well said Chappers.  His technical GK skills have held up well under the pressure of Championship football, nerves could’ve easily  got the better of him...so that also shows decent mental toughness too.  Re distribution - imho that’s the pace of the Championship and the speed of thought of opponents in the Championship....and exponentially faster than u23 football or Bath or Solihull.  The pass out from him for that looked easy the split second he looked at the pitch in front of him and actually passes the ball, becomes a different picture in the Championship.

37 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Done extremely well for someone so young and if he tightens up on crosses and improves his distribution then I see him as our No 1 in future.

Maenpaa is better though at this moment and Id put him straight back in.

Whatever LJ decides, us fans now know we have a 22 year old teenager (?) ready to play, who is good enough.  I would keep Max in until he looks like he needs a rest, e.g. intensity caught up with him, made a couple of mistakes, etc).  If / when that happens, then Mäenpää comes in.  He has done nothing wrong, Frank has done nothing....this season.

12 hours ago, JBFC II said:

He's a good shot stopper with some decent distribution. 

However, he flaps at corners too often and seems to panic under pressure. A calmer head will come with experience but for now I'd stick to niki when he comes back

Wasn't the same said about Steve Phillips and going back further, Ray Cashley?

Unfair on Niki if he doesn't get the chance to come straight back in, for me.

Been really impressed with Max, but he has his whole career in front of him and Niki has come here and performed brilliantly up until that unfortunate injury.

Tough one, but i'd go with NM if available

At base level, Max has conceded one goal in three games, and that was one he had no chance with. Add that to some very good reflex saves in each game and I think you’d have to say he’s in credit. 

The current concerns are twofold, and will resolve with experience - firstly, I’m not sure at present he’s decisive enough. Secondly is the distribution - or more specifically the decisions (links into point one and @Davefevs comments). The one on Saturday could have cost us - and he did almost the self same thing re Hull. I think he’s got the skills to play a decent ball from the back, but needs to work on assessing the situation quicker in both that and decisions in the box.

I think he’s behind Niki for me at the moment, but is also better than the loan to Macclesfield that was going to happen. If we could secure him a L1 loan where he’d play in the second half of the season when FF is back, I think that would be a very good outcome for long term development and the teams current needs

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Unfair on Niki if he doesn't get the chance to come straight back in, for me.

Been really impressed with Max, but he has his whole career in front of him and Niki has come here and performed brilliantly up until that unfortunate injury.

Tough one, but i'd go with NM if available

Why is it unfair though? He lost his space, through no fault of his own. Max has stepped up and done very well.

If anything it’s unfair on Max. He could be the future at city, not Niki.

He's been given a great opportunity due to circumstances and he hasn't let us down.

Sometimes that's all it takes to make a career in football, as long as his performances deserve it, he should continue to play in goal.

I think bombing him out when others return to fitness if he's done nothing wrong would set a bad example in the dressing room.

It’s a tough one. All three have their pros and cons. All round, I’m not sure there’s an awful lot between them. 

With head over heart I’d probably slightly favour Maenpaa if all 3 were fit and ready. However if the idea is for Max to be our long term number one then I’d be tempted to keep him in. 

Archived