IGNORED

Did you attend the freight Rover cup when we beat Bolton 3-0

Never to the dark side

book launch this coming Thursday 1st November at Ashton ground sports bar from 8pm.

My own personal memories are only two special trains

one from Bristol Parkway and one from Bristol Temple Meads

No return special trains though,service trains only

Don't suppose anyone would have a poster/flyer advertising the special trains along with the price of the train ticket.

The other memory is a City fan  in Australia who asked if a mate in Bristol,

could connect their two telephone lines and leave the phone "off the hook"

and put the radio on so he could listen to the radio commentary.

If you can't attend,can you advise as many City fans as possible.

Coming just 4 years after the club went bust and was reformed it was a massive achievement.

Terry Cooper the manager at the time did everything for the club. The work he did lay the ground work for us to grow and become the club we are now.

As for the day at Wembley  it was the clubs first ever trip to play on that hallowed turf. The goals and result were amazing.

I remember the legends game before the match with so many great names playing in a red shirt.

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

My own personal memories are only two special trains

one from Bristol Parkway and one from Bristol Temple Meads

Fair play to you for taking both those trains to the game. Just to make sure you got there on time! :) 

Strange really... I remember the game, winning 3 0 especially the Glyn Riley goal. I remember being worried that Mark Gavin looked a bit good in the 1st half.  On the way out Bolton supporters stopped us and asked me to take their picture in front of the twin towers, and said how amazing our support was.

Nothing comes to mind about the journey, but then I went by coach.

Went up on  one of a fleet of 'dodgy double deckers' that braved the M4....party atmosphere from 'early o'clock' till well into the following day ( i think it's fair to say that ' drink had been taken' your honour )

God i hate getting old !.....can you lot please STOP bloody reminding me of the life i used to lead :gaah:

....i just hope football fulfills the needs of this next generation of 'testosterone fueled' monkeys ?....i DO feel sorry for you having to put up with football nowadays but on the plus side you're probably more informed about the game than we were  ( i'm not sure bumping into the players in a boozer in town most Saturday nights after the game can be classed as 'informative' ? )

That game at Wembley , more than any other i can think of , proved that it didn't  matter where we were in the football league pyramid ...this is a BIG club and i just hope to see the top flight AGAIN .

Brilliant day. By coincidence found souvenir scarf from game in garage yesterday. Will wear it to Reading. Remember low tier behind goal only open until the swarms of City arrived. Also was it this or Mansfield when someone climbed out on the roof truss to hang a City Union Jack ?

Great day out. 

Went on coach from Gloucester, and was entrusted with my 15 year old brother.

Remember going past Bolton coach near Wembley, and taking the piss out of Asa Hartford.

Duly got wankered....stopped off in Oxford on way back for a good old sesh. Luckily did not lose sibling.

Football today just ain't the same.

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Richard Latham Alan Walsh and Glyn Reily will be the guests on radio Bristol at 6pm Monday night.

Any one got a full ninety minute radio  recording of the match  from GWR with Jonathan Pearce?

Not sure if Radio Bristol covered the match with live radio commentary

I had a cassette of the game, leant it to someone but never got it back. I do have 2 Betamax videos ( I think one is highlights the other full game) somewhere.

Great day out. You got to remember that only the FA and the league cups were played there except for Internationals back then, no semi finals or playoffs. Teams outside the a Prem, before it was the Prem, had almost next to no chance of playing at Wembley. I purchased the most expensive ticket, thinking it was going to be my ‘once in a lifetime’ experience, not knowing we would be back there just one year later where I stood on terracing by the tunnel) I think it was the first time I ever had a seat at a football match up until then too.

There was huge excitement in Bristol about the game, papers and tv full of coverage. 

I missed a family wedding to be there, went up on a CATS coach which broke down/ had a puncture in the Services, thankfully on the way back. Got back really late to the wedding reception, which was near AG, looked a bit out of place in my jeans and city top but made sure we celebrated all the same. Incidently the married couple were both City fans who were gutted to have missed the day, but made it to Wembley a year later on their anniversary!

Happy memories, but where has that time gone!

Was a great day, baking hot day, electric atmosphere, fantastic result, Terry Cooper certainly put our club back on the right path after some very turbulent times,TC will always be a legend in my eyes, he did far more than just manage the team, he helped restore the club.

Not the first time at Wembley but very special for City to be there. As a child, my mother had always said she would buy the tickets if City ever got there but she died in 1981.

So my Dad, who had first watched City in the First Division when Billy Wedlock was king, paid up. So sad that he was not well enough to go with us but I later took the match video for him to see. He died before the next trip to Wembley a year later.

I was so proud of the club that day. The support, numbers and noise was top notch. City played good football with no hoofball, as did Bolton to be fair.

The abiding memory was of Terry Cooper who deserves every bit of respect, admiration and love that City supporters can muster. As one said earlier, he, and Des Williams, saved our club from obscurity by getting Fourth Division promotion and two Wembley visits so soon after the sad times of 1982.

Lived in Wilmslow then and drove down the M6 on my own with car decorated in Red . Was the only City fan going that way amongst a sea of Bolton fans. Met the rest of the family at Wembley and had a fantastic day out .

Going back that night chatted with many Bolton supporters at the motorway services . No trouble , they all agreed we deserved to win and complemented us on our performance.

Few years later they were in the top tier ...and we have still not played there for 39 years.

Drove up with my parents (sadly now passed on) and my eldest lad who would have been 10. Fantastic day out and result, but my most abiding memory was our huge support.

I parked in a side road not that far from Wembley, it was a lot easier to park back then, and after walking a short distance turned a corner and looked straight down the road towards the stadium and I could hardly believe my eyes. At the end of the road there was just an enormous mass of red and white as City fans gathered before the match. Took my breath away. Must have been thousands in that area, everywhere you looked there were City fans. Brilliant!

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Richard Latham Alan Walsh and Glyn Reily will be the guests on radio Bristol at 6pm Monday night.

Any one got a full ninety minute radio  recording of the match  from GWR with Jonathan Pearce?

I've got the highlights audio tape John, including interview with Beryl Fudge

4 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Great day out. 

Went on coach from Gloucester, and was entrusted with my 15 year old brother.

Remember going past Bolton coach near Wembley, and taking the piss out of Asa Hartford.

Duly got wankered....stopped off in Oxford on way back for a good old sesh. Luckily did not lose sibling.

Football today just ain't the same.

I was on the same coach this was my first visit to Wembley watching City out of a total of 5 now, probably comes a close 2nd to the Mansfield game a year later for most wasted!

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Drove up with my parents (sadly now passed on) and my eldest lad who would have been 10. Fantastic day out and result, but my most abiding memory was our huge support.

I parked in a side road not that far from Wembley, it was a lot easier to park back then, and after walking a short distance turned a corner and looked straight down the road towards the stadium and I could hardly believe my eyes. At the end of the road there was just an enormous mass of red and white as City fans gathered before the match. Took my breath away. Must have been thousands in that area, everywhere you looked there were City fans. Brilliant!

I remember the massses of people too, all singing and dancing and it was a great atmosphere. Such a shame we didn’t have mobile phones and the like to record such memories, but maybe that was it, people interacted and made our own entertainment pre match instead of looking at our phones! Absolutely no trouble at all that I saw before or after the game, fans mingled together and friendships were made that day I’m sure.

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

They were handing radio highlight on a cassette tape years ago commentary was great. Wish i still had the tape.

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

I've got the highlights audio tape John, including interview with Beryl Fudge

Like to hear  that again 

I had the GWR cassette tape. It's probably still in a box somewhere.

I couldn't make the game itself as I had organised a sponsored walk to raise funds for the Bristol Children's Hospital....walking  from Wells to Weston.....over the whole weekend. We camped at Shipham on the Saturday night and was sat in the Miners Arms when a coach load of rowdy City fans got back from Wembley. I don't think we left the pub until sunrise.

Archived