IGNORED

Did you attend the freight Rover cup when we beat Bolton 3-0

Never to the dark side

Richard Latham has put the book together, he was actually on the bench with TC at Wembley,  with Steve Henderson, who was City's program man in the 90's, and the reason we have bcfc.co.uk . The book looks great with so many funny stories in it. I think only 100 copies are being printed at mo. Would love to be at AG thurs but its tough getting time off being a publican.

1 hour ago, bakes said:

I was on the same coach this was my first visit to Wembley watching City out of a total of 5 now, probably comes a close 2nd to the Mansfield game a year later for most wasted!

I was on the same coach too.Very hazy memories now due to 2 conditions,age and excess alcohol!

Felt like the start of city's fight back after nearly going bust and being bottom of the old fourth division.

Terry Cooper was a miracle worker and doesn't get enough credit for the work he did with little money

Great days

I had been at Wembley for the first time in 1981 for the cup final,  featuring Gerry Gow

City were in an uncontrollable downward spiral that would involve bankruptcy a few months later and I thought seeing one of my hero's on the hallowed turf would be as close as I'd ever get to seeing the reds play there. 

To see them walk out there only a few years later is something that'll stay with me forever. Brilliant and why TC will always be a City legend 

1 hour ago, forbespm said:

I was on the same coach too.Very hazy memories now due to 2 conditions,age and excess alcohol!

Felt like the start of city's fight back after nearly going bust and being bottom of the old fourth division.

Terry Cooper was a miracle worker and doesn't get enough credit for the work he did with little money

Great days

He and JJ....best City managers.

Had tears in my eyes seeing City walk out that day, playing at the home of football was a special occasion back then, its not anymore unfortunately. It was a fantastic day and despite the fact it was a lower league cup final it was a very important part of our history. We were really on our way back and the word legend is bounded about far to often these days but the word legend is not enough for Terry Cooper.

Incredible day out, first time for Wembley for me but not the last. The exodus from Bristol with all the scarves streaming from the cars was a real sight, in fact the car in the clip looked a lot like my late brother in law, unless someone can 100%  I.D.  The after match drink at the pub at Wroughton overlooking the M4 was pretty good too.

Brilliant day out,always remember giving a group of lads a pound to “look after the car”,best decision I made,but still think I was more excited standing in the enclosure when we beat Hereford 3-0 in the second leg of the SF after being losing the first leg 2-0 three days before,the anticipation of going to see the lads play at Wembley was immense.

Was the first ever game I attended ( what a way to start!), went with my brother & dad on a coach from Shepton Mallett. Have been hooked ever since. Overriding  memories are laughing myself silly when City scored the first and the crowd erupted & having a kick about in some pub on the way back. COYR 

One of the better City days out. Was living in London. Went with my late brother. Very happy memories. Felt like a remarkable achievement at the time. Happy days. What a wonderful leader Terry Cooper was.

On the down side...who'd have thought that afternoon that Bolton would go on a be top flight regulars and play in Europe...

whilst we wouldn't...

Apart from the old 1st Div, this was the proudest day of my life supporting City. TC what a leader!

What a day, what a time to be supporting the club I love. We nearly went bust 4 years before! With respect to the new regime, we were such a close knit club with a real “we will not be beaten” attitude on and off the pitch.

Went in the Masonic on North street after the Stoke match to have a drink with a few old faces and we ended up talking about this game - great memories. It was my 1st football match at Wembley and I loved it!!! Always liked the Hirerite shirt - iconic.

51 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Was the first ever game I attended ( what a way to start!), went with my brother & dad on a coach from Shepton Mallett. Have been hooked ever since. Overriding  memories are laughing myself silly when City scored the first and the crowd erupted & having a kick about in some pub on the way back. COYR 

Great start!

Do we still get coach loads from Shepton Mallet going on the big Wembley occasions, Hull, Walsall in 2015 etc? I suppose plenty from those parts would've been after Man Utd tickets last season.

Was my first ever visit to Wembley and was in awe of the national stadium as I walked up Wembley way and seen a sea of red and white.

As I walked round the central concourse and then up the narrow steps to the terracing I just stood in absolute disbelief at the size of the place (think capacity was 90000 back then).

Not sure of the official amount of tickets we sold but we must have taken 45000 that day.

The other visits since for the other finals and play off game won’t ever match that first ever game at Wembley for my club but for me it was the catalyst that propelled us back up the leagues and whilst we have had a few dodgy seasons, we are where we are today not just because of SL but TC kept us alive as a club and gave us back our belief.

maybe one day TC will be honoured along with Des Williams for their massive contribution perhaps name the South Stand after them??

A couple of pints I'd like to make, firstly the Area Final victory against Hereford was an incredible night. Still one of the loudest I've heard Ashton Gate even though there were only 12,000 in the ground. 

Secondly, posters have said how well City and Bolton fans got on that day. Yet it was only 3-4 seasons later that there was pretty much a riot in the ground when we played at Burnden Park.

32 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

A couple of pints I'd like to make, firstly the Area Final victory against Hereford was an incredible night. Still one of the loudest I've heard Ashton Gate even though there were only 12,000 in the ground. 

Secondly, posters have said how well City and Bolton fans got on that day. Yet it was only 3-4 seasons later that there was pretty much a riot in the ground when we played at Burnden Park.

Correct, in fact there was serious trouble in Central London on the Wembley day also between both sets of supporters.

As for Burnden Park, that was a very sketchy day! We lost 1-0 if memory serves me right? Good day out though.

9 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Correct, in fact there was serious trouble in Central London on the Wembley day also between both sets of supporters.

As for Burnden Park, that was a very sketchy day! We lost 1-0 if memory serves me right? Good day out though.

Not only central London, there was a fair old set to in the coach park, where Bolton picked on the wrong bunch.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Not sure of the official amount of tickets we sold but we must have taken 45000 that day.

As many as that?

According to the trusty Rothman’s the attendance that day was 54,000 so that would mean Bolton only had around 9k and there were way more than that.

Another possibility is the attendance was underreported as seems to have been the norm for Wembley in those days (there is no way, for example, there were only 98,000 at the Liverpool-Everton Cup final that season).

16 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

The other memory is a City fan  in Australia who asked if a mate in Bristol,

could connect their two telephone lines and leave the phone "off the hook"

and put the radio on so he could listen to the radio commentary.

It may have happened in 86 too but in 2000, I called Radio Bristol from Sydney to listen to the commentary for the Stoke final. Yes, the internet was working but nothing like today and this was the only way to get it "live". I wasn't expecting it but they got me to comment on the radio at half time, which was bizarre as I hadn't seen any of it! This information somehow made it back to Sydney and I found myself reading about myself in Column 8 of The Sydney Morning Herald! As for 86, yes I was there and still one of the best days of my life - absolutely loved that team and that era of home and away every week. Did all 56 matches that season - The semis v Hereford were incredible but also remember coming back in a blizzard after the 2-1 win over Walsall in an early round.

3 hours ago, WessexPest said:

As many as that?

According to the trusty Rothman’s the attendance that day was 54,000 so that would mean Bolton only had around 9k and there were way more than that.

Another possibility is the attendance was underreported as seems to have been the norm for Wembley in those days (there is no way, for example, there were only 98,000 at the Liverpool-Everton Cup final that season).

Without wanting to go all 'Gas' here, I'm pretty sure it was a lot more than 54,000, my memory is of somewhere around 70,000. When I first got into the stadium I remember thinking that it must be pretty near a sell-out as there were very few empty seats anywhere in the stadium. I think we had more than Bolton but not by a huge amount. Floated back down the M40 to Glos that evening in my Ford Capri with my red & white scarf fluttering out the window

I'd only been actively following City for 3 years and was living in London at the time, so it was pretty much heaven for me. It was the first time I realised just how big this club could be, 32 years on and I'm still waiting for that potential to be realised....

Echo what others have said about Terry Cooper, turned the ship around when oblivion was a very realistic possibility. There should be a 'Terry Cooper Stand' at Ashton Gate

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Without wanting to go all 'Gas' here, I'm pretty sure it was a lot more than 54,000, my memory is of somewhere around 70,000. When I first got into the stadium I remember thinking that it must be pretty near a sell-out as there were very few empty seats anywhere in the stadium. I think we had more than Bolton but not by a huge amount. Floated back down the M40 to Glos that evening in my Ford Capri with my red & white scarf fluttering out the window

I'd only been actively following City for 3 years and was living in London at the time, so it was pretty much heaven for me. It was the first time I realised just how big this club could be, 32 years on and I'm still waiting for that potential to be realised....

Echo what others have said about Terry Cooper, turned the ship around when oblivion was a very realistic possibility. There should be a 'Terry Cooper Stand' at Ashton Gate

We had way more than Bolton, as the large unpopulated swathes in their end would testify. I was sure that we took 35000, and Bolton around 20000.

Archived