IGNORED

Did you attend the freight Rover cup when we beat Bolton 3-0

Never to the dark side

18 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Without wanting to go all 'Gas' here, I'm pretty sure it was a lot more than 54,000, my memory is of somewhere around 70,000. When I first got into the stadium I remember thinking that it must be pretty near a sell-out as there were very few empty seats anywhere in the stadium. I think we had more than Bolton but not by a huge amount. Floated back down the M40 to Glos that evening in my Ford Capri with my red & white scarf fluttering out the window

I'd only been actively following City for 3 years and was living in London at the time, so it was pretty much heaven for me. It was the first time I realised just how big this club could be, 32 years on and I'm still waiting for that potential to be realised....

Echo what others have said about Terry Cooper, turned the ship around when oblivion was a very realistic possibility. There should be a 'Terry Cooper Stand' at Ashton Gate

I suggested to David Lloyd on here a few years ago that Terry Cooper should be honoured at Ashton Gate, he acknowledged it, but sadly nothing has come to fruition.

23 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Correct, in fact there was serious trouble in Central London on the Wembley day also between both sets of supporters.

As for Burnden Park, that was a very sketchy day! We lost 1-0 if memory serves me right? Good day out though.

Wasn’t that the game when they had to keep opening sections of the ground as more and more city came until there was very little ( no mans land) between both sets of fans. City fans broke into a store cupboard and didn’t a few fire extinguishers go of as well. Lads climbing up the flood lights , a coach from knowl west with some of city’s finest ? It was a day of many story’s that have been told down the years 

On 29/10/2018 at 20:25, Moments of Pleasure said:

Great start!

Do we still get coach loads from Shepton Mallet going on the big Wembley occasions, Hull, Walsall in 2015 etc? I suppose plenty from those parts would've been after Man Utd tickets last season.

Fairly sure there is usually 2 or 3 ( possibly more ) coaches that go to the big occasions from Shepton Mallet. Organised by Terry Webb, an unbelievable character. COYR 

10 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Wasn’t that the game when they had to keep opening sections of the ground as more and more city came until there was very little ( no mans land) between both sets of fans. City fans broke into a store cupboard and didn’t a few fire extinguishers go of as well. Lads climbing up the flood lights , a coach from knowl west with some of city’s finest ? It was a day of many story’s that have been told down the years 

That’s the one.

All met up at M5 Michaelwood Services at 8am (RIP Divvy who organised the “gathering”), in Bolton at circa11-00am. Big boozer down the road from Burnden Park all plotted up. There main pub. There was a good 250 of us in there. Bolton turn up at 1’ish - the rest is history!

As a side note, that was one of the loudest grounds (Burnden Park) I had ever been to as Bolton were up for it also - deafening atmosphere with both sets of fans right next to each other. OB expected 2000 City to turn up, nearly 4500 went if I remember right.

My mate had a coppers horse stand on his foot outside the ground as it all kicked off! Funny thinking about it now but his foot was ****** - BRI when he got home with broken bones etc.

Crazy day.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:19, Red-Robbo said:

I did indeed and I was under the influence of Lysergic acid diethylamide at the time.

Just say no kids. I spent much of the match admiring the fibre patterns in my City scarf.

I have this disturbing mental image of James Robertson Justice, clad in a red scarf, and off his tits on acid.

On 29/10/2018 at 20:57, INCRED said:

Not sure of the official amount of tickets we sold but we must have taken 45000 that day.

Not the Bolton game. About 30k that day, with about 25k Bolton there. The following year the attendance was bigger than v Bolton, with more of us than in '86, and Mansfield taking fewer than Bolton.

Football wasn't as popular in the 1980s as it had been previously, or would become subsequently, as we see today. 

This was my first ever city match...memories of the day were it was the day after my 9th birthday and was driven down by my dad in his brand new cavalier Sri which ultimately turned out to be a bit of a meader car but back in 1986 it was pretty flash and ******* fast.

Anyhow found this evening post souvenir edition pre game in the loft a couple of months back for anyone feeling nostalgic.

Agree with everyone else where did the years go...life just seemed so much simpler back in those days.

ECDA7D57-5324-4EE4-BE1A-529A0F1850D8.jpeg

13832151-3E25-47F9-98F3-C18FA5C0745F.jpeg

D6CBD8B8-B0C9-41FE-960F-FC960C4C89EF.jpeg

Drunkest day of my life. Vague recollection of getting a train at about 8.30am from Parkway to Paddington with an 8-pack of cider.... 

Getting chased out of a pub by some arsey Bolton fans who took offence to us singing "you're so shit it's unbelievable"....

Bonding with some lovely Bolton fans on Wembley Way singing "we only hate Bristol Rovers" and "we only hate Man United" with them....

Getting inside this amazing stadium and singing at the top of my voice with the rest but getting a horrific cider headache every time I sang....

Glyn Riley scoring two goals and Howard Pritchard the other - absolute mayhem!....

Tube back to Paddington and taking over a pub through til midnight, making friends with more lovely Bolton fans....

Getting the last train back to Bristol....the remainder of the weekend is a bit of a blur, but I definitely didn't make it in to work on the Monday morning. Good times. 

On 30/10/2018 at 20:36, BS15_RED said:

I suggested to David Lloyd on here a few years ago that Terry Cooper should be honoured at Ashton Gate, he acknowledged it, but sadly nothing has come to fruition.

Could you imagine a modern day manager buying the pre match and post match meals for the team,selling  tickets clearing snow in the car parks and walking round the pitch with collecting tins for the team.why there is not a statue of the guy is beond me.

It happened to be my father's 60th birthday on that day. He wasn't impressed when I said I was going to the game with my (late) father-in-law instead of going to his birthday party, but as I pointed out at the time it might be the only chance I would have to see City play at Wembley. Little did I know I would see them many times since (both at Wembley and the Millennium Stadium) - including the season after! Still, he's 92 now so I don't regret it one bit, especially as my father-in-law only got to see City at Wembley once more - the following year. 

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 07:42, GasDestroyer said:

That’s the one.

All met up at M5 Michaelwood Services at 8am (RIP Divvy who organised the “gathering”), in Bolton at circa11-00am. Big boozer down the road from Burnden Park all plotted up. There main pub. There was a good 250 of us in there. Bolton turn up at 1’ish - the rest is history!

As a side note, that was one of the loudest grounds (Burnden Park) I had ever been to as Bolton were up for it also - deafening atmosphere with both sets of fans right next to each other. OB expected 2000 City to turn up, nearly 4500 went if I remember right.

My mate had a coppers horse stand on his foot outside the ground as it all kicked off! Funny thinking about it now but his foot was ****** - BRI when he got home with broken bones etc.

Crazy day.

Milwall made an appearance that day as well ?

Great day always remember turning round to my dad who was three rows behind and seeing him welling up when the teams came out. I have some pictures of the open top victory tour setting off from the gate, one hell of a turn out for that. 

On 31/10/2018 at 09:47, Moments of Pleasure said:

Not the Bolton game. About 30k that day, with about 25k Bolton there. The following year the attendance was bigger than v Bolton, with more of us than in '86, and Mansfield taking fewer than Bolton.

Football wasn't as popular in the 1980s as it had been previously, or would become subsequently, as we see today. 

That's how I remember it - the gate for the first home game of the following season (about 7.5k) was said to have been a quarter of the following we took to Wembley. 30k plus was still a great following.

I also remember the EP reporting that many City fans got in for free, so wouldn't have been counted in the official crowd.

They said that as the game was played on a Sunday some sort of local by law dictated 1 gate had to be left open and at least 2k City fans were said to have taken advantage of this as the word got round outside the stadium.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's how I remember it - the gate for the first home game of the following season (about 7.5k) was said to have been a quarter of the following we took to Wembley. 30k plus was still a great following.

I also remember the EP reporting that many City fans got in for free, so wouldn't have been counted in the official crowd.

They said that as the game was played on a Sunday some sort of local by law dictated 1 gate had to be left open and at least 2k City fans were said to have taken advantage of this as the word got round outside the stadium.

But surely most of those would have had tickets anyway.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

But surely most of those would have had tickets anyway.

Not at all, you didn't need to pre- buy tickets in those days - mostly standing on the terraces at Wembley and no possibility of a sell out.

16 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Anyone there tonight?

Sadly not. I’ve been battling LadyFlu all week, got no voice and feeling rough. :ill:

Absolutely gutted but Moysie is sadly safe from me tonight,  I bet he was dreading attending if he has read this forum over the past few years :laughcont: ?

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

Sadly not. I’ve been battling LadyFlu all week, got no voice and feeling rough. :ill:

Absolutely gutted but Moysie is sadly safe from me tonight,  I bet he was dreading attending if he has read this forum over the past few years :laughcont: ?

i would have loved to have gone if only to meet the legend that is terry cooper, u fortunately i’m working away so couldn’t make it!

That game was one of my proudest moments. To gaze up at that famous Wembley scoreboard, that had once read:

England 4 West Germany 2

There in big letters:        Bristol City 3 Bolton Wanderers 0.  I had tears in my eyes.

Really good night. Other than those in the photo Biff turned up late. Buster was there, Scott's Murray and Davidson, Gibbo, Les Kew. Walsh and TC looked well given they've had a few health problems. Moysie, given the managerial career he's had seemed really pleased to be back in the bosom of the City family. 

LJ there early on as well. Brought back some great memories. Best last minute decision I've made in a long time. 

Good celebration of that famous day that, my old man was like a kid in a sweetshop! Shame Bobby Hutchinson wasn't there! And left by the time Biff turned up, the only downer for me dad as was his favourite ever player.          Saw Buster, bless his heart. Shame he had to pay and queue to get his book signed. Another one who should be on a pedastal. 

Phil Tottle there too, was great to hear his voice again..... proper memories

Archived