IGNORED

Did you attend the freight Rover cup when we beat Bolton 3-0

Never to the dark side

20 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's how I remember it - the gate for the first home game of the following season (about 7.5k) was said to have been a quarter of the following we took to Wembley. 30k plus was still a great following.

I also remember the EP reporting that many City fans got in for free, so wouldn't have been counted in the official crowd.

They said that as the game was played on a Sunday some sort of local by law dictated 1 gate had to be left open and at least 2k City fans were said to have taken advantage of this as the word got round outside the stadium.

Wasn't the game played on a Saturday back then?  Thought I went out Sunday  and carried on celebrating!!!

Mind you the memory aint what it was?

Love reading threads like this. Game was way before my time (I was -2!) but it shows how important a match it was in our history when OTIB has a unanimously positive thread about anything! 

Despite not being alive for the dark 80's period I know as well as any City fan how important TC was in the history of our club and honestly hope that the club makes the right decision and names the South Stand after him while he's still around to receive the honour.

Brian Williams...……..poor chap got dogs abuse from the enclosure when he first signed.

I remember one particular game the Rovers reject chants were being belted out he got the ball, head down ran forward and scored his first goal for us. The Rovers reject chant turned into there's only one Brian Williams, in a matter of seconds he became a red and you could sense his relief, another player who I have a fond memories of.  

You look back and that was some side all things considered.

It is OTIB threads like this that you can recall/remember you have actually seen a successful Bristol City team win at Wembley. Whereas today we are currently dreaming of success - which is great.

I hope it all comes to fruition of which time will tell.

But I am taking fantastic Wembley 86 memories to the grave!

As mentioned by @Palmers Green Red the Hereford game (home and away) was also 2 great days out. Terry Cooper should damn well be honoured down the new ground with the South Stand honouring his name. What a manager he was for us!!

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Wasn't the game played on a Saturday back then?  Thought I went out Sunday  and carried on celebrating!!!

Mind you the memory aint what it was?

After further thought I think you're right, but I definitely do remember the article in the EP about large numbers of City fans getting in free to a Wembley final.

If it wasn't this one, possibly Mansfield?

17 hours ago, RedM said:

Sadly not. I’ve been battling LadyFlu all week, got no voice and feeling rough. :ill:

Absolutely gutted but Moysie is sadly safe from me tonight,  I bet he was dreading attending if he has read this forum over the past few years :laughcont: ?

Gutted for you.

Only came to this thread for a full report on how much you letched on Moyesy. 

Damn flu spoils everyone's fun. 

Get well soon.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Gutted for you.

Only came to this thread for a full report on how much you letched on Moyesy. 

Damn flu spoils everyone's fun. 

Get well soon.

Thank you. I had no chance of making it despite taking every cold cure potion under the sun. Moysie escaped, one day our paths will cross again...I’ve seen a few photos, #He’sStillGotIt ?

1 hour ago, big p said:

I find it incredible that someone can get enough content to write a book for a 90 minute football match.Yet our supporters club is struggling to get enough content for a book about a city legend ,whose career spanned over 15 years..

In my experience the best writing about BCFC has come from people with no official connection to the club anyway but, out of interest - which City legend?

Latham's book covers more than the 90 minutes at Wembley btw, including a section of personal memories from fellow City supporters - a nice touch.

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

In my experience the best writing about BCFC has come from people with no official connection to the club anyway but, out of interest - which City legend?

Latham's book covers more than the 90 minutes at Wembley btw, including a section of personal memories from fellow City supporters - a nice touch.

The "John Atyeo"  book we were promised two years after donating money for the statue.We are told that they were struggling for content,which I find strange .Perhaps they should approach Latham to write it.

I was there. 

This meant so much to me and evidently the club and supporters. 

We had come back from the dead , we sensed that this was a statement.

City were  back ! 

The following year against Mansfield had nothing like the same intensity and to be frank all the following finals , win or lose , became a bit embarrassing and tinpot for me .

It speaks volumes about us as a club being the record holders for the most cup wins in this competition, the big fish in the small lower league pond. 

Still that's our history, dare I say we've moved onto a higher level now ?

28 minutes ago, big p said:

The "John Atyeo"  book we were promised two years after donating money for the statue.We are told that they were struggling for content,which I find strange .Perhaps they should approach Latham to write it.

Thanks.

An excellent biography of Atyeo already exists, written by Tom Hopegood. I'm guessing the book you refer to was to be based on supporters' own memories of watching the great man?

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

After further thought I think you're right, but I definitely do remember the article in the EP about large numbers of City fans getting in free to a Wembley final, some sort of local by law dictated 1 gate had to be left open and at least 2k City fans were said to have taken advantage of this as the word got round outside the stadium..

If it wasn't this one, possibly Mansfield?

You may be confusing this with a City match away to Rovers, although I don't think the open gate was due to a local bye-law, but rather a 'broken' padlock ? 

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thanks.

An excellent biography of Atyeo already exists, written by Tom Hopegood. I'm guessing the book you refer to was to be based on supporters' own memories of watching the great man?

Which I'm guessing as time goes on, more people with the memories are falling off their mortal.

Sounds increasingly like the EU referendum vote.

On 29/10/2018 at 13:18, sglosbcfc said:

Great memories of that day, capped off for a young teenage boy like me by the fact that a young lady nearby climbed on her bloke's shoulders, whipped her top up and got her boobies out. I think that was every box ticked for me, :laugh:.

I remember that well. But wasn't it at the final vs Mansfield?

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

I’ve got loads of photos from that day all those years ago I can upload if anyone is interested. 

I think you would have loads of interest mate as not everyone had a camera like theses days and would make some great nostalgia 

Archived