IGNORED

So I met with Matt Parsons

Bristol Rob

I'm really pleased that you've finally been contacted by your Personal Account Manager, Rob.

We have little worthy of note in our past however we can create something (nearly) unique for the future based upon the brilliant match day experience which has been established since the completion of the ground rebuild.

My wife and I now arrive at AG nearly three hours before a Saturday 3pm kick-off yes, to get a parking space but also to enjoy the match build up. We have a couple of ciders and some food; watch the televised match or listen to the music. Before the rebuild, we'd spend nothing in or around the ground on a match day; now we spend £25+. The Fan Zone and the Bar has become a destination for us so let's build upon that to develop a reputation which other teams just can't emulate. Make it bigger and even better. Put on things to encourage away supporters to want to get to AG early and spend their hard earned cash with us. Put on some local foods and guest beers/ciders; have some entertainment for the kids - not just our young fans but visiting young supporters too.

I've been happily and pleasantly surprised to mix with visiting supporters pre-match. It seems to be a grown up thing to be able to do.

So in other words, because we don't have a usp, let's develop one or at least build upon the one we've already started.

We must be unique in having 2 club badges at the same time! 

One if the things I hate is when people mix us up with the other lot, not so much in and around Bristol but elsewhere in he country you tell someone who you support,  a week later they're asking "did you say Ciy or Rovers"

Quite simple for me. The thing that stands out for me is the Suspension Bridge and Robin.

Brunel’s bridge is a stone throw away from the ground, coming from the portway or the Winterstoke Road way, you can always see the bridge, followed by Ashton Gate. 

Robin - It’s been our nickname for donkeys years and was featured on our badge for many a year. We’re the Robins, much more superior to Swindon and Cheltenham.

If we want ‘identity’ I’d start by playing in our white away strip...

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

In amongst our chin-wag, he asked me a question that he has clearly asked other people and other groups, and it's something that probably warrants a wider debate.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO was saying that he had been at an EFL conference and the question of 'identity' had been raised...

This has managed to make my blood run cold because it clearly suggests there are people behind the scenes contemplating a re-brand along the lines of the desecration they've already heaped upon the rugby club. 

The current badge tarnishes any identity that we’re trying to create. It’s a Council badge?

The badge of any football club is the first image you base in your head. Little things like MOTD, EFL highlights, Sunday papers, football match day programmes. You see opposing teams and their badges and you know exactly who they are.

Who seriously knows Bristol City Council outside of the region?

A football badge has to be purely associated with the club and it’s ‘identity’. Therefore the Robin and Suspension Bridge fits perfectly for Bristol City FC and that’s what it should be.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

As supporters, we do have, or used to have, an identity of sorts - we drink cider, we sing about cider, we are Ciderheads, we are occasionally referred to as "The Cider Army" - and we once revelled in our West Country (la la la) roots.....

To be fair all of the above could be applied to Yeovil Town too....they were arguably more famous, when they were a non-league club thrashing league teams in the Cup for fun, than they are now... but they had the ‘cider army’ tag a long time ago too....and their fans also used to sing ‘Drink Up Thy Zider’ - the cider thing isn’t really unique to us....although I’m not suggesting you thought it was....

Please don't change the name to the Bristol Robins…or anything as cringey.

Does every team have an identity? I don't know if they do (or I'm just not that bothered to realise).

I guess this is a marketing objective… :death: god help us, please no! 

It's bad enough being called Lee Johnson's Bristol City (no offence to LJ) Press & marketing again :bored:

12 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The current badge tarnishes any identity that we’re trying to create. It’s a Council badge?

The badge of any football club is the first image you base in your head. Little things like MOTD, EFL highlights, Sunday papers, football match day programmes. You see opposing teams and their badges and you know exactly who they are.

Who seriously knows Bristol City Council outside of the region?

A football badge has to be purely associated with the club and it’s ‘identity’. Therefore the Robin and Suspension Bridge fits perfectly for Bristol City FC and that’s what it should be.

It’s not the Council badge...see below....it’s the Bristol Coat of Arms....very different, but not unique to us....the gas and glos ccc have both had it as their badge in the past...Incidentally, I’m with you, I want the Robin/Football/Bridge badge back on our home shirts....

DC3C0B53-B6A6-42D4-9B6E-B75B940A08E5.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Quite simple for me. The thing that stands out for me is the Suspension Bridge and Robin.

Brunel’s bridge is a stone throw away from the ground, coming from the portway or the Winterstoke Road way, you can always see the bridge, followed by Ashton Gate. 

Robin - It’s been our nickname for donkeys years and was featured on our badge for many a year. We’re the Robins, much more superior to Swindon and Cheltenham.

If we want ‘identity’ I’d start by playing in our white away strip...

Was going to post exactly the same.   Cheers :)

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair all of the above could be applied to Yeovil Town too....they were arguably more famous, when they were a non-league club thrashing league teams in the Cup for fun, than they are now... but they had the ‘cider army’ tag a long time ago too....and their fans also used to sing ‘Drink Up Thy Zider’ - the cider thing isn’t really unique to us....although I’m not suggesting you thought it was....

No, it's not. But I think being the most prominent of the cider drinking/West Country clubs, I think we can act like it is. It's all we've got really....

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think that’s utter bollocks. What aspect of our identity did we have before Bristol Sport that we don’t have now? I mean something that a supporter of another club would think of when they think of us, that they no longer would?

I can’t think of a single thing.

Well here's a novel idea. Why not ask fans of other clubs what our identity is, you would get a much clearer picture.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s not the Council badge...see below....it’s the Bristol Coat of Arms....very different, but not unique to us....the gas and glos ccc have both had it as their badge in the past...Incidentally, I’m with you, I want the Robin/Football/Bridge badge back on our home shirts....

DC3C0B53-B6A6-42D4-9B6E-B75B940A08E5.jpeg

Where has the coat of arms come from? I know we had the current badge in the 50s but it’s not unique, neither does it identify Bristol City FC.

I really hope the club have taken the feedback from the white away strip seriously. 

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This has managed to make my blood run cold because it clearly suggests there are people behind the scenes contemplating a re-brand along the lines of the desecration they've already heaped upon the rugby club. 

I too am wondering why this information is being collated. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Where has the coat of arms come from? I know we had the current badge in the 50s but it’s not unique, neither does it identify Bristol City FC.

I really hope the club have taken the feedback from the white away strip seriously. 

The Bristol Coat of Arms has been around since 1569.....and as I said above, it’s not unique to our club as the gas and glos ccc have both used it as their badge...

42 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That is not an identity of ours.

The majority of football league sides will see themselves as underachieving in some respect.

There's another club in our city that accomplishes underachieving to a far greater degree than we ever could.

Are we not the biggest city never to have had a Prem club ? 

35 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That really wasn't the impression I got, it was a question that was raised at a conference, rather than something club led. 

Matt said he knows a lot of the guys involved with S82 (and they are they same guys I either know personally or by association), and he was at pains to point out that this identity wasn't something that could be forced, rather it was something that would/could/might occur - not remotely a club or Bristol Sport discussion.

It was a genuine question asked in the right spirit and with no undercurrent of an expected solution. If it was, there are far more agreeable people than myself to get a view from.

I knew when it was time to retire when the latest management tosh went straight over my head. Don't understand the identity question. We are Bristol City- do we need more. If we are looking at external perception, the ground rebuild has helped no end, all we need now is success on the field. 

Archived