IGNORED

So I met with Matt Parsons

Bristol Rob

17 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This has managed to make my blood run cold because it clearly suggests there are people behind the scenes contemplating a re-brand along the lines of the desecration they've already heaped upon the rugby club. 

It's already happening with the robin being made more prominent in lots of material released by the club and obviously the old badge being used on the away kit. I guess if it doesn't work with the robin then they'll try something else, and maybe this is the first attempt at gauging fans opinion.

Problem is, as much as people say they don't like it, the Bristol Bears rebrand appears to be going pretty well... so only natural that BS look to the football club to try and repeat the trick. And try as I might, I couldn't disagree with an earlier post that we don't have anything especially unique about us - even the gas have things more easily identifiable and unique about them; namely the badge and nickname.

2 hours ago, Red7 said:

The club is obviously unique to most of us on here. But in terms of what others think when they hear the words "Bristol City FC", I don't think there is much that makes us stand out. Aside from the goal-scoring GIFs that we pioneered but have since been copied by others.

Nearby Forest Green Rovers has already done the vegan thing and has this as its USP. Maybe we could become a meat-only club to counter this and give ourselves a USP at the same time.

Great idea.

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's already happening with the robin being made more prominent in lots of material released by the club and obviously the old badge being used on the away kit. I guess if it doesn't work with the robin then they'll try something else, and maybe this is the first attempt at gauging fans opinion.

Problem is, as much as people say they don't like it, the Bristol Bears rebrand appears to be going pretty well... so only natural that BS look to the football club to try and repeat the trick. And try as I might, I couldn't disagree with an earlier post that we don't have anything especially unique about us - even the gas have things more easily identifiable and unique about them; namely the badge and nickname.

love the honesty. Its what we need to progress.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree with all of that even the bit about the gAssholes - "The Pirates" is more original (and appropriate for a Bristol team) than "The Robins", one of the very few interesting things they've managed in over 100 years existence and the only thing to do with them about which I've ever thought "I wish we'd done that". If only City had adopted Bedminster's kit instead of Bristol South End's when merging - then our nickname would be "The Garibaldians" (after the revolutionary, not the biscuit).

It's hard to be distinctive and stand out from the crowd when there are 91 other professional clubs trying to do likewise. But City also lack any particularly strong identifiers - as demonstrated by this discussion - which means there's a vacuum into which Jon Lansdown, or whoever else came up with the Bristol Bears horrorshow, may be tempted to step. ("The Bears" is a horrorshow because the rugby club was already distinct - having only a dozen or so competitors to stand out from, having a rich history of high profile achievement at the very top level of its sport - albeit in the amateur days.)

So if he/they must indulge in some corporate re-brand bullscheisse, I agree with those suggesting cider,  "Cider Army", "Ashton Gate" as our strongest distinctive identifiers. "Gate" especially - being unique.

Random thought - didn't the club shop sell jumpers back in the 80s with "Best in the West" embroidered under the Robin badge??? 

"Bristol City FC" is sacrosanct and there will be hell to pay if that is tampered with. As others have said, the shenanigans at Hull have hopefully set a precedent here.

As an aside, our stadium rebuild was an opportunity to do something unique, iconic, distinctive - all the things we are now struggling to identify. In my opinion - a minority view I expect -  we missed that opportunity. The rebuild is good but it could have been great (although Ashton Vale was the real opportunity to do something special). But let's not go there and de-rail the thread!   

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Have to agree with this

Me three for @Norn Iron's point about people automatically assuming you're a Rovers fan (well the non-Bristol non-football fans at least).

It's completely disproportionate based on the relative success and size of the two clubs, and must reflect that Rovers is a more memorable name.

I've even had it happen with people who I'd explained to a first time. It obviously means they just don't care, but Rovers is a football name they remember.

I always console myself with the fact they don't like football but have heard of Bristol Rovers - it's sort of fitting. I also rarely do business with people like this.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

Me three for @Norn Iron's point about people automatically assuming you're a Rovers fan (well the non-Bristol non-football fans at least).

It's completely disproportionate based on the relative success and size of the two clubs, and must reflect that Rovers is a more memorable name.

I've even had it happen with people who I'd explained to a first time. It obviously means they just don't care, but Rovers is a football name they remember.

I always console myself with the fact they don't like football but have heard of Bristol Rovers - it's sort of fitting. I also rarely do business with people like this.

Used to happen to me all the time and I totally agree with you. 

In my previous incarnation as a Head Teacher I once visited schools in New Zealand, all of which had their “ strap line” prominently displayed .... in a moment of ( possibly cider induced) flippancy I came up with “Striving for mediocrity “ as an idea... it kind of works for City too!!!

Otherwise could we be “ The Babbers”,  “Brunel’s best” or just ( actually true) “ The best in the west”....

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

didn't the club shop sell jumpers back in the 80s with "Best in the West" embroidered under the Robin badge??? 

Agree with everything you said, on this note, you're absolutely right, "Pride of the West" and "Best in the West" all highlight a clear geographical leadership.

That's something that is unique, and we could shout about. Why not plaster everything we have and everything we do with the subtitle: WE ARE THE WEST

Over time that should build a clear claim to be THE football club for the whole of the West of England. And who else across the region would dispute that?

Perhaps then, instead of the rest of the country thinking south of Birmingham and west of London is just "a bunch of clubs", it becomes Bristol City alone.  

Strictly on a geographic basis, ignoring Wales, our catchment area in the top two tiers is little bettered, and if we got to the Prem it'd be even more obvious.

That's got to be worth something to identity, and with success, perhaps we convert more across the region if we simply lay claim to representing the West. 

(bonus suggestion - if we all think The Gate is so unique, have a look at St. Louis in the US, which built a giant arch to proclaim itself "Gateway to the West".)

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

Agree with everything you said, on this note, you're absolutely right, "Pride of the West" and "Best in the West" all highlight a clear geographical leadership.

That's something that is unique, and we could shout about. Why not plaster everything we have and everything we do with the subtitle: WE ARE THE WEST

Over time that should build a clear claim to be THE football club for the whole of the West of England. And who else across the region would dispute that?

Perhaps then, instead of the rest of the country thinking south of Birmingham and west of London is just "a bunch of clubs", it becomes Bristol City alone.  

Strictly on a geographic basis, ignoring Wales, our catchment area in the top two tiers is little bettered, and if we got to the Prem it'd be even more obvious.

That's got to be worth something to identity, and with success, perhaps we convert more across the region if we simply lay claim to representing the West. 

(bonus suggestion - if we all think The Gate is so unique, have a look at St. Louis in the US, which built a giant arch to proclaim itself "Gateway to the West".)

Love the ambition Ole. Believe it, own it, shout about it!

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True story.

One of my university lecturers was a Swindon Town fan. We were discussing football after one lecture and when I told him I supported City, his instant response was "Ah, the slave-traders!"

Not sure if that would go down so well in a rebrand meeting?

Cigarette manufacture was also widely associated with Bristol. So maybe we could be known as "The butts", or maybe "The dog-ends", or perhaps "The fags"...........

Then again, maybe not...................................

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

Over time that should build a clear claim to be THE football club for the whole of the West of England.

We’ve had ‘Making Bristol Proud’ so it wouldn’t surprise if the club were happy to do this.

Although I think ‘Pride of the West’ sounds better.

Why not have purple and lime as our first choice kit and stick to it. That would deffo be a usp. We will become the Fiorentina of the UK. It would mean a complete refurb of our newly transformed stadium though. That would be another usp a club who had a complete refurb of a newly transformed stadium.

The rugby club use "Together We Rise", so we could expect something similar for City.

I like something incorporating "West" or "West Country" even though they're not exclusively BCFC related - it's the same with "cider", let's just co-opt it.

Thinking about it, those jumpers had "Pride of the West" not "Best of" if memory serves.

The only problem with "Pride of the West" is this is what the announcer at the Mem says - without a hint of irony!!! - when the gAss run out every home game.

17 hours ago, eardun said:

I was going to say the same. No one else plays at a ‘Gate’. I’ve always liked that. That combined with the suspension bridge that you see on the way to and from inside the Gate. I reckon if you asked other fans who plays at a ground called Gate or showed them a picture of the suspension bridge, a good number would say us. They are stronger identities than the robin or red as neither of those are unique to us. Thinking about it, we could make more of both of these concepts to make them even stronger. 

Ashton Gaters

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Unless Bears improve it will be a rebranded team in the Rugby Championship!

21 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

On Saturday, just for a 'Hello' and to put a face to the name.

Had a really nice chat with him and clearly he is looking to engage with as many supporters as possible and to get to know people (reckon it's because my forum name begins with a 'B' he collared me early in the process).

In amongst our chin-wag, he asked me a question that he has clearly asked other people and other groups, and it's something that probably warrants a wider debate.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO was saying that he had been at an EFL conference and the question of 'identity' had been raised, he said that in his small working group was his Sheffield Wednesday and QPR equivalents and it wasn't difficult to identify either of those clubs, Wednesday unique suffix of a name and of course being The Owls. QPR, their name is on their badge and if you are thinking EFL and 'the hoops' chances are, first thought QPR.

But what is OUR identity? What makes us unique? He has asked a few other people and answers have been varied, but far from consistent.

What one or two words would you expect to see either associated with Bristol City* football club, to either identify us on the pitch, or for us to be recognised off the pitch?

There are no right or wrong answers, but 2 days later, the closest I can come to us almost creating a unique identifier was the 'Always Believe' statements from a few years back. And that largely died off when Basso moved on.

*those two words can't be 'Bristol City'.

So, what is OUR identifier?

Also, if you haven't met Matt yet, find him, say hello and introduce yourself, lovely bloke (who, on explaining some of the challenges of his role, will probably get an easier ride from me going forward, but it's for Matt to explain the challenges out of getting the answers out of a number of multi tiered companies trading independently from a shared space).

So, where were we? Yes! IDENTITY!

Cider

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

So 4 pages in, and there is clearly a void in the 'identity' section.

Whatever fills it (if anything), would only resonate if it was fan led, fan championed and fan celebrated.

Our name, home and colours have never changed, we have ‘identity’.

Some seem to be after a gimmick however unless we invent a new nickname or drastically change our strip to be ‘unique’ then they’re going to struggle, plus to do so would actually make us lose our existing identity.

In answer to your op then imo our identifier should be ‘Pride of the West’. We’ve used it before on flags and clothing. I’d love to see the club use it more on the stadium and merchandise plus it’s a step up, and sounds better than, ‘Making Bristol Proud’.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The rugby club use "Together We Rise", so we could expect something similar for City.

I like something incorporating "West" or "West Country" even though they're not exclusively BCFC related - it's the same with "cider", let's just co-opt it.

Thinking about it, those jumpers had "Pride of the West" not "Best of" if memory serves.

The only problem with "Pride of the West" is this is what the announcer at the Mem says - without a hint of irony!!! - when the gAss run out every home game.

Sounds too much like Paul McCartney and John Lennon in their early Beatles days. :whistle2:

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Why not have purple and lime as our first choice kit and stick to it. That would deffo be a usp. We will become the Fiorentina of the UK. It would mean a complete refurb of our newly transformed stadium though. That would be another usp a club who had a complete refurb of a newly transformed stadium.

I would be in favour of unique-izing (I've just made that up; I should do this suit/brand/spoutbollocks for a living) our kit. There was a time we had red shirt, blue long-johns, blue stockings. I like it! That would be unique. And I am sure SL would approve, seeing as how he is trying to sneak red into the rugby kit.

Failing this, some other way of making the shirt at least instantly recognisable, like say an Arsenal shirt, or an Ajax shirt. And then stick to it.

I realise this would upset terribly many City fans. But as others have noted on here, we are invisible and unremarkable, other than to people in Bristol.

24 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I would be in favour of unique-izing (I've just made that up; I should do this suit/brand/spoutbollocks for a living) our kit. There was a time we had red shirt, blue long-johns, blue stockings. I like it! That would be unique. And I am sure SL would approve, seeing as how he is trying to sneak red into the rugby kit.

Failing this, some other way of making the shirt at least instantly recognisable, like say an Arsenal shirt, or an Ajax shirt. And then stick to it.

I realise this would upset terribly many City fans. But as others have noted on here, we are invisible and unremarkable, other than to people in Bristol.

In the 50s at one point we did play in Arsenal style shirts. Didn't feel like City at all

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Ashton Gaters

I quite liked the suggestion earlier that the stadium should have a big ‘Welcome to the Gate’ sign on it. 

I also prefer the robin badge (on our white kit this season). It includes the suspension  bridge which is the other identifier I mentioned. Perhaps the robin should be sitting on a gate rather than a football though!

10 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

My thoughts on our identity -

Our nicknames’ the Robins and I know there’s a few teams that use it but surely we’re the biggest club to use it so if we pushed it more everyone would associate it with us? I think we should go back to the badge on the white away kit, it’s a great badge, I wouldn’t want a different version of it though only that one.

Ashton Gate is a stadium name other fans always seem to remember probably because we’ve played there over 100 years and have never changed it or added a sponsor to it and I hope it stays that way (sponsored stand names don’t bother me). I liked the idea of having a big sign on the back of the Atyeo saying “Welcome to the Gate” to greet the away fans as it’s an unusual name that people will remember a bit like the Den.

And lastly cider, I like the Cider Army tag, we’re well known for being cider drinkers and have lots of cider related songs which are unique to us so I think it’s a big part of our fan identity.

Sorry to quote myself but wanted to add the pride of the west tag that others have mentioned, I’ve got an old scarf that says it with the old badge on it that I love. It also sounds much better than making Bristol proud which the club use a lot which I think is pretty lame. It would look good on a big banner at the front of the South Stand too.

18 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe it's because we have spent almost our entire league career bouncing from two to/from three that we are not regarded by many supporters of the "bigger" clubs as one that is not at the tip of one's tongue. We are off the beaten track, usually about a two hour trip for our nearest league opponents. I've once lived in the West Midlands and its normal when one says one is from Bristol and follow football, for the other person to say Bristol Rovers. For some reason their name seems to be better known than ours.

Apart from last season in the League Cup, when do we ever get noticed for a cup win? Liverpool in 93, Leeds in 74.

And have we ever won promotion via the playoffs? Not that I can remember. Hull, Brighton, Walsall?

We're a big club at League Three level and an also ran in League Two. The miserable times in the last two seasons with three/four months of scratching out a few points tell me that we're nowhere near becoming a real force at this level.

Even last Wednesday, we played the first half as if we were terrified of Stoke, who appeared to me as a reasonably well organised side, with a very average defence, but with a couple of quality midfielders and an England keeper. Apart from them, nothing special. Because we only played the second half, we lost. And that scenario happens too often.

Call me a miserable sod, but wake up to the reality. Bristol City win promotion from League Three every ten years and sometime in between, get relegated back there. Will we ever change?

That's our identity sorted - The Inbetweeners !

Archived