IGNORED

So I met with Matt Parsons

Bristol Rob

This thread makes a hell of an interesting read.  Perhaps Bristol Rob needs to bump into Matt more often for one of these little chats / thread combo's.

Rob, if you get the free drink from Matt as mentioned in another post, I demand a sequel to this thread.

For me, I've no issue with the Reds, the Robins, BCFC, or just our simple name Bristol City as being our identifiers.  We are the finest out of rest of the Robins, so what shame is there in that?

If Wednesday are happy as the Owls, what's wrong with our famous bird nick name?

As a club we have many identifiers - Reds, Robins, Cider heads, Ashton Gate, the legend of John Atyeo, etc.  Also, the East Enders?

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Sometimes I think it’s a shame we didn’t stick with the Bristol South End name...but then I remember that having the initials BSE would’ve been a nightmare of piss taking during the 90s.

could the south stand be renamed The Bristol South End or The Bedminster South End?

40 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If Wednesday are happy as the Owls, what's wrong with our famous bird nick name?

Nothing.

As I’ve mentioned, there are other clubs nicknamed the Robins but I’m confident that most football fans associate the name with us more than those other clubs. Just the impression I get.

Robins are also a much loved bird in this country, a lot of people believe their appearance signifies that a lost loved one is close by or something like that. As a result my Gas father in law has several pictures of Robins in his house because his wife is convinced of it. The point is a lot of people love them.

Robins are also supposedly a sign of good luck, unlike Pirates who are a sign of living like a tramp on a boat, theft and bum rape.

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Nothing.

As I’ve mentioned, there are other clubs nicknamed the Robins but I’m confident that most football fans associate the name with us more than those other clubs. Just the impression I get.

Robins are also a much loved bird in this country, a lot of people believe their appearance signifies that a lost loved one is close by or something like that. As a result my Gas father in law has several pictures of Robins in his house because his wife is convinced of it. The point is a lot of people love them.

Robins are also supposedly a sign of good luck, unlike Pirates who are a sign of living like a tramp on a boat, theft and bum rape.

A fine post indeed, especially like your amusing reference to the filthy pirates.  Back to City, and now I think of it, my dad has a Robin tattoo on his forearm, and I'm sure many a similar tattoo exists.  My late uncle Bob was named Robin, which is also a nod to City.

In fact such is my recognition of the humble Robin, I will change my OTIB name to RedRobinKev.  I have no idea how to do this, so if any Mods happen to read this post, feel free to oblige me!

On 31/10/2018 at 21:37, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't like "Pride of the West" at all but then it's not up to me. It just doesn't sound right.

As a fan whose support began in the seventies with that phrase being synonymous with BCFC I am quite fond of Pride of the West. I have never looked upon the club as being anything other than a West Country club with favourite Sons coming from West Country Villages and Towns like Dilton Marsh and Westbury. 

For a club with thousands of fans not from Bristol and a history that is rooted away from just Bristol the parochial Making Bristol proud will never sound right. 

On 31/10/2018 at 13:06, AshtonPark said:

Problem is the club won’t put anything like that up @RedM as it’s a multi sport stadium now 

Really? In the 21st century, we couldn't find an electronic way of putting PRIDE OF THE WEST and the robin/bridge up for our games and a bear - or whatever - for rugby games? We don't have to colour it in on there with permanent Sharpie pens do we? (I realise this has been mentioned now)

Except Steve Lansdown won't go for Pride of the West because it speaks of a previous era, one before him. He is not interested in acknowledging that, hence the lack of stuff about the place from pre-late 90s or whenever he became interested. Several people I've spoken to, all with good reason to be trusted, have said he wants everything to be about him and his era. Which, in some ways is fair enough - he's put in more than any other bod. But then he's got more than any other bod. But too many references (ie three) to previous success/good times will dim the spotlight on him. 

As to @Bristol Rob 's point that, 5 pages in, we still have no discernible 'idnetity', it's pretty clear that cider has been mentioned more than anything else, hasn't it? Or, because that's alcoholic and likely to result in our canons being loose, can that not be used?

MM: Well LJ likes to see himself as a fashionista so perhaps he could try rocking the stovepipe hat look on the sidelines??

Wouldn't that just result in a hat with feet?

•  

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

This thread makes a hell of an interesting read.  Perhaps Bristol Rob needs to bump into Matt more often for one of these little chats / thread combo's.

Rob, if you get the free drink from Matt as mentioned in another post, I demand a sequel to this thread.

For me, I've no issue with the Reds, the Robins, BCFC, or just our simple name Bristol City as being our identifiers.  We are the finest out of rest of the Robins, so what shame is there in that?

As a club we have many identifiers - Reds, Robins, Cider heads, Ashton Gate, the legend of John Atyeo, etc.  Also, the East Enders?

We certainly are RedRobinKev, and out of all them the Bristol City Robin flies the highest...

:chant6ez:Flying high, up in the sky,

The City Robin flying high

Our Red Robin will never die 

He'll be forever flying high... :chant6ez::yes:

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

The views from the top of the SS and Lansdown are pretty good (especially in the winter when the Greville Smith Park trees shed their leaves). The stadium is set in very picturesque location with Ashton Court, the Cumberland Basin, River, Avon George and Clifton acting as it's back drop, not that of course  notice these things as the football is always such a joy to watch it takes away from it :whistle:

During November, any goalkeeper defending the South Stand end can often have a good view of any firework displays which may be occurring locally.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We certainly are RedRobinKev, and out of all them the Bristol City Robin flies the highest...

:chant6ez:Flying high, up in the sky,

The City Robin flying high

Our Red Robin will never die 

He'll be forever flying high... :chant6ez::yes:

Don`t forget robins are feisty little buggers too and will defend their territory with a vengeance.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

During November, any goalkeeper defending the South Stand end can often have a good view of any firework displays which may be occurring locally.

Remember a game last season , there was a very Big Bang , our goalie looked up. Missed the ball and other team scored !!! 

19 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Remember a game last season , there was a very Big Bang , our goalie looked up. Missed the ball and other team scored !!! 

You mean the season before last? 

Richard O’ Donnell possibly distracted by fireworks going off behind the Atyeo when a Brighton player (Sidwell?) lobbed him from just inside our half.

Edit: in fairness to O’Donnell that was the theory but I was in the South Stand, saw the Brighton player kick it from 50 yards out but I don’t remember fireworks going off at that exact moment. I think he was just caught off his line.

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Was there an actual gate at Ashton? I'm interested to know where the place got its name.

Here's the original gates. It's the South gate way into Bristol I believe the gates were burned down after rioting when they put the toll prices up by the local authority.

2028018242_ashtongateoldbristol.thumb.png.c672c6cf728eed3723d033fdd7e914d2.png

Also Bristol South End were known by the press at the time in 1894 as South Enders

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

You mean the season before last? 

Richard O’ Donnell possibly distracted by fireworks going off behind the Atyeo when a Brighton player (Sidwell?) lobbed him from just inside our half.

Edit: in fairness to O’Donnell that was the theory but I was in the South Stand, saw the Brighton player kick it from 50 yards out but I don’t remember fireworks going off at that exact moment. I think he was just caught off his line.

I was in the south stand that night too, and I remember some going off seconds before the shot.

Not saying he definitely was distracted by them though.

19 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was in the south stand that night too, and I remember some going off seconds before the shot.

Not saying he definitely was distracted by them though.

Agreed, they were definitely going off.

I expect you're right, the only thing I remember clearly was the "oh shit" feeling as soon as he kicked it and saying "that's ******* going in" to the bloke next to me....who I think was also watching the fireworks.

Archived