IGNORED

Massive Attack

myol'man

30 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Have to admit I was gobsmacked when I saw the prices for the Fleetwood Mac gigs.

Makes my £250 for Glastonbury look a bargain. 

Yep, those who scoff at £250 for a festival without knowing the lineup, are only those who have never been to Glasto. £250 for what you get is insane value for money, they could double the prices and I'd still continue going.

44 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Modern music I'm afraid, all of the big bands are at it now. £230 if you want a pitch ticket for Fleetwood Mac at Wembley!

Yep - It was £20 to see them in Queens Sq 15? Years ago.. with Goldfrap and The Streets supporting as well.

Glasto for me too.. can't imagine they'd play there too but you never know. 

1 hour ago, winterbournered said:

Have to admit I was gobsmacked when I saw the prices for the Fleetwood Mac gigs.

Glastonbury (and other festivals) always look expensive until you break down how much you’d have to pay for just a few medium sized bands individually.

When you look at the costs for the really big bands, festivals are an absolute bargain.

18 hours ago, Tomarse said:

£53 is a joke personally  I love MA but that’s taking the piss 

Gone are the days when touring was more a way of promoting record / CD sales as that was how they made their money. Now it's flipped on it's head due to people downloading music and bands losing this source of revenue. Live shows is where they make money these days.

Live music gigs = Massive Attacks on wallets nowadays,  f *** 'em all! 

(so glad those of us of a certain age were able to go to loads of top band gigs and live football on a whim without having to make a budgeting decision - for most of us it was just getting hold of tickets for occasional sell out's that we worried about, not how much it was gonna cost.. Everything is disproportionately (hugely so) more expensive nowadays, (eh..  how much would a British F1 Grand Prix cost nowadays? … when I went in James Hunts heyday it was easily doable even on a piss poor apprentice wage)

Live music gigs were a good cheap and exciting way to have a great time - God bless the Colston Hall etc.. for the good times.   

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

Gone are the days when touring was more a way of promoting record / CD sales as that was how they made their money. Now it's flipped on it's head due to people downloading music and bands losing this source of revenue. Live shows is where they make money these days.

And the eye watering prices they charge for merchandise, t shirts, hoodies etc. I know you don’t have to buy it, but I’ve never been anywhere where the queues aren’t massive for the stuff. There is real money to be made there for sure.

On 30/10/2018 at 14:34, winterbournered said:

Sssh. Some of us living within a few miles of Pilton haven’t had a sniff of a ticket for five years or more. Curse you, online booking.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Sssh. Some of us living within a few miles of Pilton haven’t had a sniff of a ticket for five years or more. Curse you, online booking.

You not elegable for local ones?  It sure is getting harder to get each year.

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

You not elegable for local ones?  It sure is getting harder to get each year.

I am eligible for local ones for Sunday only -  but even those are not automatic, and I have missed out in the ballot in recent years. I don’t live in Pilton, but about 15 miles away.

It beats me how some people seem to get tickets online in a regular basis. I never get on to the booking site at all, let alone get tickets.

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

Ahh feel your pain. 

First time I went, it was decided on a whim over a beer with a mate and got our tickets from HMV. Obviously that was before festivals became cool again! Managed to go for about 6/7 years on the bounce before getting nowhere from about 2011, that was until getting lucky this year. 

Can’t lie, I can’t wait just love the place. 

On 31/10/2018 at 13:05, RedM said:

And the eye watering prices they charge for merchandise, t shirts, hoodies etc. I know you don’t have to buy it, but I’ve never been anywhere where the queues aren’t massive for the stuff. There is real money to be made there for sure.

I watched MA at the Eden project in June, fantastic concert. 

But surprisingly the merchandise was very.... very limited, I saw a few t shirts and that was about it. They ‘were’ overpriced though!

On 01/11/2018 at 18:24, Leveller said:

I am eligible for local ones for Sunday only -  but even those are not automatic, and I have missed out in the ballot in recent years. I don’t live in Pilton, but about 15 miles away.

It beats me how some people seem to get tickets online in a regular basis. I never get on to the booking site at all, let alone get tickets.

A lot of the time it’s your isp that can’t route the traffic but everyone is quick to blame see!  Best thing is if you can five other people then exchange no’s and then if you all try you increase chance etc. 

Lemme know if you fancy the resale as I’m happy to try for you as I think I’ve got one other person who wants to attempt it 

On 03/11/2018 at 07:12, Tomarse said:

A lot of the time it’s your isp that can’t route the traffic but everyone is quick to blame see!  Best thing is if you can five other people then exchange no’s and then if you all try you increase chance etc. 

Lemme know if you fancy the resale as I’m happy to try for you as I think I’ve got one other person who wants to attempt it 

Yeah you always hear of all sorts of tips and tricks and I'm never quite sure which is the best! For me the one way to do it is just to increase the chances of you getting through in every logical way possible. I.e. get everyone in your group to try, use multiple devices on different connections if you can, etc. Every Glasto ticket day I look like some bizarre computer nerd surrounded by laptops and tablets on various broadband/4G/work connections!

1 hour ago, Sixtyseconds said:

See the Malaysian YTL firm jumped on it as being a success.

The question should be.

As good as Queens Square?

Answer. No.

Why? Bugger all there in Filton.

Drove in.

Drove out.

Bit shit really.

There is rumour doing the rounds that this gig was arranged in every way to be a Banksy's Dismaland type experience, I know several people who went and confirmed this, everything was Ott from the security, to the toilets, to the bizarre merchandise and even the bands performance.

11 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

See the Malaysian YTL firm jumped on it as being a success.

The question should be.

As good as Queens Square?

Answer. No.

Why? Bugger all there in Filton.

Drove in.

Drove out.

Bit shit really.

Queens Square would take some beating to be fair. 

The Harbourside gig.

It was fun being outside.

Fun in the pubs.

There was a buzz around the area.

Excited people on the streets.

As there was for Queens Square.

Beautiful days.

This was in Filton.

FILTON.

Forget those pubs.

No buzz.

Saw a couple of people at a bus stop …. Getting out of the place.

On 06/03/2019 at 07:49, Sixtyseconds said:

The Harbourside gig.

It was fun being outside.

Fun in the pubs.

There was a buzz around the area.

Excited people on the streets.

As there was for Queens Square.

Beautiful days.

This was in Filton.

FILTON.

Forget those pubs.

No buzz.

Saw a couple of people at a bus stop …. Getting out of the place.

Weird how people perceive things differently

i was at Queens Square. My recollection is that me and my mates all had a load of beer round the centre and entered early as the support act was the streets who were quite big at the time. Upon entering we were told you would not be allowed re entry if you left. Once inside there was 1 burger van, 1 beer tent and about 10 toilets for a crowd of about 15k. Also as Queens Square is flat only those 6foot plus could see anything. We all left about half hour from the end as desperate for the loo and dying of thirst

also I like the music of MA but surely they just press go on their synthesiser. It’s not really live music is it??

4 hours ago, Roberto Carlos 75 said:

Weird how people perceive things differently

i was at Queens Square. My recollection is that me and my mates all had a load of beer round the centre and entered early as the support act was the streets who were quite big at the time. Upon entering we were told you would not be allowed re entry if you left. Once inside there was 1 burger van, 1 beer tent and about 10 toilets for a crowd of about 15k. Also as Queens Square is flat only those 6foot plus could see anything. We all left about half hour from the end as desperate for the loo and dying of thirst

also I like the music of MA but surely they just press go on their synthesiser. It’s not really live music is it??

It was proper live music last week.  Covered some proper guitar based songs, eg bauhaus;s  bela lugosi's dead

I went on the Saturday it wasn't my type of music but the tickets were free and I knew what to expect as the Saturday show played out exactly the same as the Friday show.

My thoughts;

The Arena - I've been to a Steel Yard show in London on a hot May evening it was amazing and a totally different experience compared to a cold wet February evening!! They got the time of year for this show all wrong.

The venue - Filton very easy to get in and out of and ample official/non official parking. I parked on the road a few minutes walk away as £20 to park on a runway seemed excessive when Filton has no parking restrictions?? I couldn't believe in this day and age of anti congestion, pollution etc they were advising people not to walk there?? The official car park seemed fine one person told me only took 10 minutes to get out on Friday. Plenty of buses were put on anf this didn't seem to be a problem either other than only one place in Bristol they were picking up and dropping off from.

The Experience - pretty awful waiting around for hours listening to one of the worst Dj's ever or hang around the food tents listening to other questionable music this was on from 5-8.45, at the very end of the wait for MA we were greeted with some questionable 90's songs which were being played on the equivalent of a laptop speaker. Having no support band is truly awful if you are trying to put on a show and don't take to the stage until 8.45!

Facilities - there were queues for toilets/bar but these flowed well and we had no problems at all especially earlier in the night with no waiting at all. Apparently the cashless system broke on Friday but this was back working on Saturday. The food and drink was freely available and like all these events very pricey. We had no queue to actually get in the venue at all.

MA - After a long wait they finally took to the stage. They have no real front man so no crowd interaction and had 3 different singers which caused delays between songs. The most annoying thing was the constant beaming of bizarre video messages of a political nature behind the band throughout the show which went along with the music. Thus the reason I assume they provided no encore the lights went out everyone went home! This might have been the nostalgic 90's head trip visual aid but for me it was just annoying. Having said that the more well known songs on the album were performed very well, but some of the more instrumental offerings between some of the hits were questionable and detracted a bit from the gusto of the main performance.

The benefit - this is where I felt a built disappointed for the area, bar the 2 nearby hotels I can't see much benefit for Filton. The takeaways/restaurants on the A38 were dead and a poor newsagent had some Massive Attack t-shirts in the window which I think will still be there in 10 years time as everybody just got to there and left straight after mostly by bus/car direct from inside the venue.

The punters - I was surprised to see how much reach MA have I assumed it would be mostly locals but the people I spoke to were from Swansea, Oxford, London and Somerset. Bristol needs to put on a much better show to get people coming back to the area for me.

The verdict; I think with a few improvements Filton could be an excellent host for an Arena I was amazed how little traffic issues there were. I thought MA were a big let down if you are paying £50 you expect a bit more of a show, people will say I didn't "get it" this was their aim one big 90's headtrip but to be honest I grew up in this era of music and yes I didn't get it! I worked out just on ticket sales the promoters would have taken £1.4m over the weekend and it just felt a bit like MA were living off their name and reputation to put this weekend on. People I have spoken to had similar reservations when the did the Downs a couple of years back.

Archived